Everybody speaks about samaya, but nobody knows what it is.

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Malcolm

Re: Everybody speaks about samaya, but nobody knows what it

Post by Malcolm »

theanarchist wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
theanarchist wrote: Then of course there is the four Dzogchen "samayas", which are unbreakable since they are not conditioned.
Other vajrayana samaya connections are just as unbreakable.
Not what I meant. What I meant was that Dzogchen samayas are connected with reality. The 22 Vajrayāna samayas of the new tantra schools or the 29 samayas of the old tantra tradition are connnected with view and conduct.
Because even if it's nowhere as explicit as in dzogchen, in a highest yogatantra initiation what makes the initiation valid is the conferrence of a spark of the absolute nature of the deity.
No divine spark is implanted, Gurus are not creator gods.

What happens during an anuttarayoga initiation is an arrangement of dependent origination. Each initiation has its own samayas connected with the practices which it permits one to do. Please Kongtrul's Buddhist Ethics for a full account.
The vows you take during an initiation are vows, they are not the actual samaya.
Of course they are.
The actual samaya is the connection you make with the teacher by receiving initiation, the vows are a tool that enables the disciple to progress on that path in a meaningful way.
The vows are what maintain that connection. When you break those, you break the connection.
It is not harmful because you made some promise, it's harmful because it not following those rules is in itself harmful once you have made this type of connection.
It's harmful because you have made a promise, and that is the connection; this is why "dam tshig", "solemn word" is how Tibetans translate the term samaya. There is no mystical basis for samaya. It is premised strictly on accepting a set of promises.
theanarchist

Post by theanarchist »

Malcolm wrote:
theanarchist wrote: It's harmful because you have made a promise, and that is the connection; this is why "dam tshig", "solemn word" is how Tibetans translate the term samaya. There is no mystical basis for samaya. It is premised strictly on accepting a set of promises.

No, it's not harmful because you have made a promise. It is harmful because in the initiation you made that special connection. If you would make the same promises outside of an initiation it would not have those consequences like for example vajra hell if you start to go against that teacher.

That's why you call that person vajra-master and root guru and it workes markedly differently than the connection you have with a sutra-mahayana teacher, for example in zen.

There definitely is a "mystical" basis for samaya. (that's why it's called SECRET mantra vajrayana) Without it there would be no samaya, nothing secret, along with no potential for "liberation in one lifetime" or "vajra hell". A simple broken vow will not get you to the lowest realm possible, it's nowhere near potent enough for such a result.

Maybe so far the "secret" bit in secret mantra vajrayana eluded you ;)
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

theanarchist,

Maybe you should start citing sources for your claims.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

theanarchist wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
theanarchist wrote: It's harmful because you have made a promise, and that is the connection; this is why "dam tshig", "solemn word" is how Tibetans translate the term samaya. There is no mystical basis for samaya. It is premised strictly on accepting a set of promises.

No, it's not harmful because you have made a promise. It is harmful because in the initiation you made that special connection.
That special connection is nothing more than the dependent origination you create with that teacher. You cannot take those promises outside of empowerment at all.
reddust

Post by reddust »

Sayama to me seems like a promise, vow, or bonding. I did a little search and pulled up Berzin again. Common Bonding practice.

I need to get into my big books as well, you know for literal support. This has peaked my curiosity. I have met many teachers, only a few felt like I had a connection (I felt as if I knew them), either deep love, intense curiosity, loyalty, admiration, which has continued to this day even though I may not see these teachers again. I felt this way about certain Dharma students as well, especially when I first started. That felt like a bond as well. Taking the teachings, promising to respect the teachings, the teacher, you know, the Buddha, Dharma, Sangha, Guru, yidam, and Dakini...that seems like Samaya to me as well.

I think this all is psychic, you know, it happens in the mind of the student, nothing magical unless you want it to be :namaste:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Malcolm wrote:That special connection is nothing more than the dependent origination you create with that teacher. You cannot take those promises outside of empowerment at all.
I've often wondered what exactly is going on during an empowerment. I don't see how saying this special connection is the dependent origination created with that teacher really explains anything. Could you elaborate?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dzogchungpa wrote:
Malcolm wrote:That special connection is nothing more than the dependent origination you create with that teacher. You cannot take those promises outside of empowerment at all.
I've often wondered what exactly is going on during an empowerment. I don't see how saying this special connection is the dependent origination created with that teacher really explains anything. Could you elaborate?

You have five aggregates; these are the cause. The teacher arranges their connection to the five buddhas, the result, through the empowerment. If you don't attain buddhahood during the empowerment, then you have a path to follow.

Most people do not understand that abhisheka is primarily a method of attaining buddhahood, and only secondarily, an introduction to a path.

When we talk about dependent origination, there are five: outer, inner, secret, ultimate and sucheness. If you really want to understand this, then you should go and study Lamdre with the Sakyapas.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Malcolm wrote:You have five aggregates; these are the cause. The teacher arranges their connection to the five buddhas, the result, through the empowerment. If you don't attain buddhahood during the empowerment, then you have a path to follow.
OK, thanks. How does the teacher arrange this connection?
Malcolm wrote:When we talk about dependent origination, there are five: outer, inner, secret, ultimate and sucheness.
Do these correspond to the aggregates and Buddhas?
Malcolm wrote:If you really want to understand this, then you should go and study Lamdre with the Sakyapas.
OK, is there a convenient reference in English to get started?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
theanarchist

Post by theanarchist »

dzogchungpa wrote: I've often wondered what exactly is going on during an empowerment. I don't see how saying this special connection is the dependent origination created with that teacher really explains anything. Could you elaborate?

Well, after the first initiation I ever took (was Guru Rinpoche, given by Chimed Rigdzin Rinpoche) I was pretty much zapped out of my everyday confused state of mind and habitual worries for something like three days. Actually, thinking back, I was running around pretty stoned, but in a high functional way, within a few hours I got myself a new job without any difficulties. Without even much thinking, I just did it. That was probably the best time of my life.

If I learned anything from that experience it is that vajrayana is very much the real thing.
theanarchist

Post by theanarchist »

dzogchungpa wrote:
Malcolm wrote:You have five aggregates; these are the cause. The teacher arranges their connection to the five buddhas, the result, through the empowerment. If you don't attain buddhahood during the empowerment, then you have a path to follow.
OK, thanks. How does the teacher arrange this connection?

My guess is that the teacher, who abides in a direct experience of emptiness nature of all phenomenon (and the notion of him/her and disciples as seperated entities no longer existant in his/her mind) in the ceremony just touches and activates that experience in you.

My experience with some lamas is that they can even archieve full blown telepathic abilities and I think that is a result of the realisation of emptiness nature. I have first hand experience of this ability with the late Nyoshul Khenpo and later another, old disciples confirmed it, saying that this was pretty much an everyday occurence around him.
theanarchist

Post by theanarchist »

Malcolm wrote:
That special connection is nothing more than the dependent origination you create with that teacher. You cannot take those promises outside of empowerment at all.
Of course not. Without the empowerment itself, there is nothing to promise and nothing to hold.
dechengyalmo

Post by dechengyalmo »

Dear all,

Actually the content of samaya should be teached just after receiving the initiation, this is why we will not find much about it if we do not make our own efforts. And also the ones who have received the samayas and openly talk about its detailed content, break their samayas automatically.

Even for samaya explanations one needs transmission from a teacher. Next to that one can study books on that topic. Getting transmission is the best way, then one avoids so many misunderstandings which will just lead to needless "Samaya Paranoja". You only have to fear it if you do not inform yourself properly.

Did you know for example that 6 factors have to be present in order to break certain samaya? :

For example for the 1st root samaya these 6 factors must be complete in order to be a complete downfall:

1. The master being an authentic one
2. Knowing that the offense will displease him or her
3. Offending the master directly with actions or words
4. Done not for others`sake or similar purposes
5. Done for selfish motives
6. Having no interest in purifying the offense

To be a downfall 7 factor must be present.
1. It must be inspired from an afflictive emotion.
2. You have to be aware that you are acting from an afflicted emotion.
3. The third factor is to be careless in your actions and speech.
4. The fourth factor is to actually cause hurt or harm.
5. The fifth is to have no remorse,
6. The sixth is to rejoice in the action.
7. The seventh is to not be drunk or crazy when you do the action and to be in full possession of your faculties.

If you have all seven of these factors for any of the fourteen commitments, it is a root downfall. If you do not amend the downfall within a fixed period of time, the Tantric vow is completely broken. If you let it go for one year without confessing it to the lama who has given you the empowerment, teaching, and instruction. If the lama has only done two of these three, you have two years to confess. If they have only done one of these three, you have three years to confess.

( from The Treasury of Knowledge, Jamgön Kongtrul, Buddhist ethics)

The samaya is considered to be of a small, an average or of a great extent depending on the strength of the relationship of the student to the vajra-master. From among the three aspects of the Vajrayana relationship (empowerment, explanations and essential instructions) if only empowerment is received, the samaya will be of a small degree. If a combination of two of these three aspects is received, the samaya will be of an average degree and if all three aspects are involved, the samaya is of the greatest degree. Accordingly a broken samaya is graded into small, average and great.

For the Nyingma Lineage you can read from Dudjom Rinpoche "Perfect Conduct" for example.

One general advice: if you do at least 21 times the long Vajrasattva mantra or 1 mall long the short Vajrasattva mantra you will prevent the bad karma accumulating coming from a break, offense, root downfall,.

In the books different are mentioned how to repair broken samayas.

I hope this general information will give some more clarity
Please you all try to get personal teachings and transmission on the samayas who received some. And please DO NOT read the samayas in the book, for the case you plan to order them, if you did NOT received them and better get the transmission to the samayas meaning directly from a teacher, either by going to a dharma center where a lama is or by going to India and ask some Khenpo there.
If you are not sure what you have received, ask the Lama from whom you have received the initiation.

Concerning initiations: You only do not receive samayas when you do not follow the visualization in an initiation, that is the true blessing initiation. But if you follow a initiation with visualization, even the lama will not talk about samayas, usually you have the samayas connected to the particular tantra class you are taking the initiation. At least the teacher will say what kind of specific samayas you will get. Also even you do not take initiations from a master, but if you seriously think of him/her your master and receive teachings of the vajra from him, you are bound by certain samayas too.... so choose wisely with whom you want to establish a student-guru relationship.

And also please read this:

INITIATIONS TO PUBLIC AND SAMAYAS
In this information age, a lot of Vajrayana teachings have been translated, with contents partially extracted and communicated to the public. Sometimes out of compassion and kindness, Vajrayana masters give Anuttarayoga Tantra teachings and initiations even to beginners for them to have a connection with the Vajrayana path. Such teachings often come with samaya vows. However it does not mean that the students receiving them who lack the qualifications to practise and the realisation are bound by these vows.
The students must have some realisation after practising, and having received the samaya from the Annutarayoga Tantra, there should be some genuine effect after practising. If there is no intention of practising nor receiving the samaya vows, and samaya vows were received without any intention or understanding, then the students would not have received the samaya vows at all. Basically, both the guru and the student must be qualified in order to effect the samaya vows.
Samaya is not a joking matter or something to be abused. It cannot be passed on like a piece of mundane contract, it is a very serious matter. The one giving you must have the pure samaya, and the one receiving it must be ready and must have the quality to receive it.
by H.H. Gyalwang Drugpa Rinpoche
http://www.drukpa.org/index.php/en/news ... -of-samaya" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JUST A INITIATION WITHOUT ANY SAMAYAS ?

Through initiation a teacher introduces you how to transform. Some people say, oh you can receive the initiation, it is just kind of a blessing, there is no commitment. This is not true.This is not serious!
If you want to receive just a blessing, then it is much better you go for example to the teacher and request him, " please teacher give me a very rich blessing". Because within initiation there are many things to put on your head, to eat or to drink. Then you are more sattitisfied, thinking " Now I have received a rich blessing" ,even you do not understand anything. But than after that there is commitment. There is the commitment of doing this practice! If there is no commitment, then why teacher introduce you this path? So through initiation the teacher is giving you a introduction, is empowering you, so for if you are doing this practice, you can have then that realization.

But when you are receiving an initiation and you are not applying, then it is negative, because you have that kind of commitment but to which you are not paying respect! So in this case it is much better you go before receiving an initiation to the teacher asking him to give you a more rich blessing. Then maybe teacher understands and he puts then some more things on your head, more things to eat and drink etc. and then you are sattisfied. Then you have no any commitment. This is the serious!

But also you must not worry for receiving initiations.because if you have knowledge, then you can receiving initiations without any problem: If you are following a teaching practice, you are doing only one kind of practice, and with that you can unify all teachings and receive transmissions etc. into that. If you have this knowledge than you can also keep commitments etc. Then you don't have this problem. But then most people they have not this kind of knowledge.
So when you have not this kind of knowledge and you are receiving inistiation, and you are not doing any practice, then it is becoming negative.

By Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Much love
Last edited by dechengyalmo on Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Useful thread.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Everybody speaks about samaya, but nobody knows what it is.

Post by Grigoris »

Twenty-seven root samayas — In the Dzogchen tradition there are twenty-seven root samayas of the body, speech and mind and twenty-five branch samayas.

Chökyi Drakpa enumerates them in the following way:

Firstly, there are three sets of three samayas related to the body.
The outer three are to abandon stealing, sexual misconduct and taking life.
The inner three are to abandon abusing your vajra family, including your own body; abusing the Dharma and other individuals, and striking your own body; and forcing yourself to undergo the hardship of extreme ascetic discipline.
The secret three are to abandon striking the body of a vajra relative, or criticizing ornaments they may be wearing; striking your vajra sisters or making sexual advances to the Lama’s consort; and stepping on or over the Lama’s shadow, or acting carelessly with your body and speech in the Lama’s presence.
There are three sets of three commitments related to the speech.
The outer three are to abandon lying, slander and harsh words.
The inner three are to abandon verbally disrespecting someone who teaches the Dharma, who contemplates its meaning, or who meditates on the natural state.
The secret three are to abandon disrespect for the speech of your vajra brothers and sisters, those in the master’s entourage, or the master himself.
There are three sets of three commitments related to the mind.
The outer three are to abandon malice, covetousness and wrong view.
The inner three are to abandon careless activity; dullness or agitation in your meditation; and clinging to the views of eternalism or nihilism.
The secret three are to maintain an awareness of the view, meditation and action throughout every session of the day and night; to maintain an awareness of the yidam deity; and to have faith in the teacher and love for your vajra brothers and sisters.

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... ot_samayas
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Everybody speaks about samaya, but nobody knows what it is.

Post by Grigoris »

Twenty-five branch samayas (Wyl. yan lag gi dam tshig nyer lnga) — In the Dzogchen tradition there are twenty-seven root samayas of the body, speech and mind and twenty-five branch samayas.

Chökyi Drakpa says:

Firstly, there are the five to be recognized: the five aggregates, the five elements, the five faculties, the five consciousnesses, and the five objects. These should be recognized as the mandala of deities of the three seats.
Once these have been understood, there are the five to be accomplished: the vajra family, ratna family, padma family, karma family and tathagata family.
There are five substances to be accepted at the time of accomplishment: faeces, urine, blood, semen and marrow.
There are five signs of warmth in the practice not to be rejected: the transformation of the five poisons, which are matured into the five wisdoms.
There are five to be practised when the signs on the path have become manifest: the three [negative] actions of the body and lying and idle gossip. You should practise these in order to accomplish the benefit of others.

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... ch_samayas

From A Torch for the Path to Omniscience: A Word by Word Commentary to the Longchen Nyingtik Ngöndro by Chökyi Drakpa
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”