Authentic practice in the modern age

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
dzoki

Re: Authentic practice in the modern age

Post by dzoki »

Sherlock wrote:Depends on your teacher and what he says.

ChNN teaches his students to aspire for awakening in the bardo.
This is not true. Rinpoche always teaches methods that can bring realisation in one lifetime. He also teaches on how to attain complete realisation in bardo, but this is to be applied if you fail to attain complete realisation in a lifetime.
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

Gyaltsen Tashi wrote:Aren't there simple practices like Chenrezig (mani recitation) and Guru Rinpoche (7-line prayer and Vajra Guru mantra) that can bring the practitioner to Buddhahood in one lifetime?

Regards,
Gyaltsen Tashi
If you do Vajra Guru and 7 line prayer with strong devotion a perseverance, then you will without any doubt meet with Guru Padmasambhava and he will become your teacher. So in the end, yes it can be a base for attaining Budhahood in lifetime. I don´t know about mani, but Vajra guru mantra for sure has this effect.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

dzoki wrote:

This is not true. Rinpoche always teaches methods that can bring realisation in one lifetime. He also teaches on how to attain complete realisation in bardo, but this is to be applied if you fail to attain complete realisation in a lifetime.
Very often he says something like "our hope as Dzogchen practitioners is to be enlightened in the bardo".
Pero

Post by Pero »

Sherlock wrote:
dzoki wrote:

Very often he says something like "our hope as Dzogchen practitioners is to be enlightened in the bardo".
I don't think he says that "very often" since I have maybe heard something in that vein only once or twice (and I'm not really sure it was the aim but more like dzoki said and also "in the bardo" is very vague without context since we're in the bardo right now). But then I haven't been participating in as many teachings in the last two years as before.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”