The Teaching of Buddha [BOOK]

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Michael91

The Teaching of Buddha [BOOK]

Post by Michael91 »

I was wondering if anyone has read the book stated in the title? I was away on holiday in Thailand when I stumbled across this book. I have been interested in Buddhism for sometime now and couldn't resist picking it up.

Inside it has been translated into English and has the original Japanese translation on the opposite page. There seems to be no author, only a reference to the Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai (Society for the Promotion of Buddhism) Whilst writing this thread I have actually noticed that there is a website with the book on (www.bdk-jp.org)

Is there anyone that could give me a little bit more information on this book as I want to make sure it's resourceful and correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael
justsit

Re: The Teaching of Buddha [BOOK]

Post by justsit »

You might find The Essence of Buddhism by Traleg Ripoche a bit more accessible, as it is geared more towards a Western audience. I tried reading the book you mentioned and found it very tough going.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: The Teaching of Buddha [BOOK]

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Michael91 wrote:I was wondering if anyone has read the book stated in the title? I was away on holiday in Thailand when I stumbled across this book. I have been interested in Buddhism for sometime now and couldn't resist picking it up.

Inside it has been translated into English and has the original Japanese translation on the opposite page. There seems to be no author, only a reference to the Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai (Society for the Promotion of Buddhism) Whilst writing this thread I have actually noticed that there is a website with the book on (http://www.bdk-jp.org)

Is there anyone that could give me a little bit more information on this book as I want to make sure it's resourceful and correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael
It is adequate, as a survey of Buddhism. The translations are correct, even if sometimes paraphrased condensations giving only the gist.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”