Eckart Tolle - master of the park bench

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
padma norbu

Eckart Tolle - master of the park bench

Post by padma norbu »

I watched this earlier in the week (listened, actually) and thought it was pretty darn good. I was lying down, focusing on my breath and listening to him and he effortlessly brought me to a state I've experienced before, which is that of the awareness he is describing.

But, I fell asleep.

So, today, I did the same thing, but instead of seeming insightful and leading me to that state of awareness, it didn't seem like much of anything.

What do you think?

phpBB [video]
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Sherab Rigdrol

Re: Eckart Tolle - master of the park bench

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

You would have the same experience listening to Ben Stein talk about the glories of the Nixon administration for an hour.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Sherab Rigdrol wrote:You would have the same experience listening to Ben Stein talk about the glories of the Nixon administration for an hour.
Maybe you would. I certainly would not.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

I was reffering to Tolle's dull affect of speech, which would have the same effect on anyone's brain. No realization there, just a charlaton shuckster filtering dharma and vedanta for his own gain.
greentara

Post by greentara »

Eckhart Tolle brought to prominence by Oprah. New age for the masses, for yoga enthusiasts, positive thinkers and the dewy eyed with deep pockets.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Did you know that apparently so I've heard some cultures removed witches' fingernails before burning them?
Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

WE LIKE ROY, WE LIKE ROY!!
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Somehow I knew this thread would only turn into a condemnation of the man, as if perhaps I am actually taken in by him and need guidance or something. I wouldn't trust your experience reports of whether the video did anything for you or not now that I've seen the replies, since you're obviously so closed-minded about it. I'm personally glad I can give stuff like this an honest chance not once, but twice. It did me no harm. I also got his Power of Now for free once at a "free book drop" in Woodstock, which I somewhat enjoyed, but never finished.
Last edited by padma norbu on Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Sherab Rigdrol wrote:I was reffering to Tolle's dull affect of speech, which would have the same effect on anyone's brain. No realization there, just a charlaton shuckster filtering dharma and vedanta for his own gain.
It actually is rather effective. He was using Ericksonian hypnosis techniques, which is quite a bit different than just a dull guy droning on and on. Hypnosis is why it may have actually worked if you gave it a shot. If you already have some experience in this awareness state he is describing, a hypnotic trance state leading you there certainly isn't going to hinder you. It was quite nice the first time I did it. Too bad I ruined it by laying down and not taking it seriously because I think the first time is probably the best opportunity to experience it.
Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

Hypnosis=manipulative mind games.... Nothing spectacular about what anyone can experience by listening to Ben Stein's voice or listen to Brian Eno's Music for Airports on repeat. Why waste your time posting about someone as fradulent and ineffective as Tolle when you are on a site with a wealth of authentic spiritual information. It's like going out for an expensive sushi dinner and bringing in Long John Silvers to eat.
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

never mind Padma....

I've seen the same response on other forums ... I'll stop there except to say that there is always something to appreciate that takes us out of the box ...

:woohoo:
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Sherab Rigdrol wrote:Hypnosis=manipulative mind games.... Nothing spectacular about what anyone can experience by listening to Ben Stein's voice or listen to Brian Eno's Music for Airports on repeat. Why waste your time posting about someone as fradulent and ineffective as Tolle when you are on a site with a wealth of authentic spiritual information. It's like going out for an expensive sushi dinner and bringing in Long John Silvers to eat.
You don't know much about hypnosis, obviously.

What is it that you disliked so intensely about this video, other than his voice, of course?

And what is your opinion of this guided meditation?
phpBB [video]
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Lindama wrote:never mind Padma....

I've seen the same response on other forums ... I'll stop there except to say that there is always something to appreciate that takes us out of the box ...

:woohoo:
I agree to a certain point. Not when it comes to this nonsense, though:

phpBB [video]

Mostly because I already have a machine like this, which I got in my mid-20s. It didn't cost me $300, but it does have binaural tones and synced light glasses, which is basically all you need for brain entrainment and accessing different levels like theta, etc. It is not remotely the same experience as any real meditation I've ever tried. it is much worse.
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

no worries, we all take or leave it according to our sensibility
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Lindama wrote:no worries, we all take or leave it according to our sensibility
The problem with the machine is it may induce delta and theta levels, but you are locked in to a mechanical experience, not experiencing any part of the world around you: you've got binaural blips in your ears and a lightshow over your closed eyelids. I'm not sure what Deepak's voice and the music adds to the experience, but I'm pretty sure it's not much. Thinking about it now, I think a big aspect of lovely meditation is the bodhicitta intention to benefit all and experience emptiness or bare reality just as it. I don't think mind machines are conducive to any of that.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I want to say a little more about hypnosis because I get the feeling Sherab is typing up a doozy of a response now...

We enter trance states all day long where we become highly suggestible.

Talking in a tone and measure to induce this trance state while giving standard buddhist meditation awareness guidance is not mere mind games and mental manipulation. It is a very effective method of bypassing the mental difficulties which immediately present themselves in meditation. Just like there is nothing "bad" about being reassured by your father or someone you trust, either, when you are feeling hopeless rather than struggling with the problem for several days until you mentally work through it yourself.

By being in a mild trance, you are simply more likely to drop discursive thoughts as they arise, just as he suggests you do. On your own and without a guided meditation like this, this alone could take days to figure out. There is nothing underhanded about it. You can clearly hear what he's saying, you're not zombified.

Ericksonian hypnosis has been very effective for helping people deal with major mental blocks in their lives. I have certainly heard similar speaking styles from Buddhist teachers giving guided meditation. Tolle is just better at it. He has clearly studied it thoroughly. As long as he is combining Ericksonian technique with a Buddhist method, I see no problem. Do you not think this is a Buddhist method he is giving?
Last edited by padma norbu on Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

Dude, come on, hypnosis...

Eckhart Tolle is a fake. A fraud. You are on a buddhist website. You are wasting everyone's time and server space by posting that video. Sorry for being blunt, but I can't help but think you knew this reaction would occur.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Sherab Rigdrol wrote:Dude, come on, hypnosis...

Eckhart Tolle is a fake. A fraud. You are on a buddhist website. You are wasting everyone's time and server space by posting that video. Sorry for being blunt, but I can't help but think you knew this reaction would occur.
Ah, awell-reasoned and researched response, I see!

It wouldn't matter if Tolle is later discovered to sacrifice babies to Satan. It would have absolutely no relevance to this discussion or the video.

What is your major problem with the video? You can't answer because you don't know. You haven't bothered with it and you don't care. Just a knee-jerk reaction. You have no idea if Tolle is relating a Buddhist method or not. If you had any valid criticism, you would have said it by now.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Btw, is a fraud technically incapable of relating a Buddhist method? Tell me how that works.

I seem to recall Malcolm saying Tulku Urgyan Tenpa Rinpoche (Bill Cassidy) had a lot of good information on his website. Maybe you should go pester him?
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I suspect some of the people in this thread might benefit from giving it a watch/listen:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... ead#unread

Return to “Media”