"...but the science of Buddhism will never change."

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
heart

Re: "...but the science of Buddhism will never change."

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote:Conventionally, there is a self, there is birth, there is death, and rebirth. Conventionally, there is also karma. Ultimately there is no self, no birth, no death, no rebirth, and also no karma.
I am not sure I agree with that. Even conventionally there is no self. If there was someone would be able to find it, but no such luck.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

heart wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Conventionally, there is a self, there is birth, there is death, and rebirth. Conventionally, there is also karma. Ultimately there is no self, no birth, no death, no rebirth, and also no karma.
I am not sure I agree with that. Even conventionally there is no self. If there was someone would be able to find it, but no such luck.

/magnus
So who wrote that post and signed it Magnus ?
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Malcolm wrote: The lifespan of human beings is considered to be about 80 years.
Thank. I'll keep that in mind when I buy milk.
:rolling:
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

heart wrote: I am not sure I agree with that. Even conventionally there is no self.
Don't get hung up on the word "is".
The experience of a self arises.
That's what conventionally means.
Its who you register as, when you go to a convention.
EMPTIFUL.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

PadmaVonSamba wrote:That's what conventionally means.
A gem.
heart

Post by heart »

Simon E. wrote:
heart wrote:

/magnus
So who wrote that post and signed it Magnus ?
I did, still no proof of a self in that statement.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

heart wrote:I did, still no proof of a self in that statement.
Are you aware that you posted it?
That is all the proof you need.
Anyway, why do you assert that therefore you have the right to steal from people?
Last edited by PadmaVonSamba on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EMPTIFUL.
heart

Post by heart »

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
heart wrote: I am not sure I agree with that. Even conventionally there is no self.
Don't get hung up on the word "is".
That's what conventionally means.
So you actually think that when the Buddha attained enlightenment he still had an experience of a self because he could say "I did this, then I did that"? Having a body, being in time and using a language are things that can't be expressed other than in a dual way, but it certainly don't mean you have to grasp for a self. Liberation doesn't mean you lack the capacity to communicate with others.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

heart

Post by heart »

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
Anyway, why do you assert that therefore you have the right to steal from people?
It is language, language is always dual. Don't say anything about my, or anyone else's, realisation.

/magnus
Last edited by heart on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Kurt Vonnegut

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

heart wrote: So you actually think that when the Buddha attained enlightenment he still had an experience of a self because he could say "I did this, then I did that"? Having a body, being in time and using a language are things that can't be expressed other than in a dual way, but it certainly don't mean you have to grasp for a self. Liberation doesn't mean you lack the capacity to communicate with others.
I am not exactly sure what it is you are saying.
EMPTIFUL.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

heart wrote:
PadmaVonSamba wrote:
It is language, language is always dual. Don't say anything about my realisation.
what are you talking about?
EMPTIFUL.
heart

Post by heart »

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
heart wrote: So you actually think that when the Buddha attained enlightenment he still had an experience of a self because he could say "I did this, then I did that"? Having a body, being in time and using a language are things that can't be expressed other than in a dual way, but it certainly don't mean you have to grasp for a self. Liberation doesn't mean you lack the capacity to communicate with others.
I am not exactly sure what it is you are saying.
I am saying that the Buddha, who was fully realised, travelled around India teaching for 50 years using words such as "I" and "you" to express his teaching to beings. That he used those words is no proof of him having the experience of a self. So language can't be used as a proof for a self. In fact according to my understanding the lack of a self is not an absolute truth. The fact is that it can't be found only imputed by such things as language.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

heart wrote: I am saying that the Buddha, who was fully realised, travelled around India teaching for 50 years using words such as "I" and "you" to express his teaching to beings. That he used those words is no proof of him having the experience of a self. So language can't be used as a proof for a self. In fact according to my understanding the lack of a self is not an absolute truth. The fact is that it can't be found only imputed by such things as language.
/magnus
Language cannot be used as evidence of an intrinsically real self (atman).
The very fact that "I" and "you" are used defines the experience of a conventional self.

EMPTIFUL.
heart

Post by heart »

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
heart wrote: I am saying that the Buddha, who was fully realised, travelled around India teaching for 50 years using words such as "I" and "you" to express his teaching to beings. That he used those words is no proof of him having the experience of a self. So language can't be used as a proof for a self. In fact according to my understanding the lack of a self is not an absolute truth. The fact is that it can't be found only imputed by such things as language.
/magnus
The very fact that "I" and "you" are used defines the experience of a conventional self.
Language is based on this misunderstanding but it is hardly a proof of the selfs conventional existence nor does it define it.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Sherab

Post by Sherab »

Malcolm wrote:Cause and condition [hetu and pratyaya] is a separate topic; necessary for understanding karma, but more general.

For this reason, Vasubandhu first writes about causes and conditions; then he writes about dependent origination; then he writes about karma: moving from the very general to the very specific.
I would have thought that the sequence would be DO, then causality (cause -> effect), then karma (intentional cause -> effect).
Causes and conditions would explain causality and karma, but would be quite hard to use to explain DO.
So I am not sure if I would entirely agree with Vasubandhu here.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

heart wrote: Language is based on this misunderstanding but it is hardly a proof of the selfs conventional existence nor does it define it.
In that case, what exactly do you mean by 'existence''?
All i said was that
That is how a buddha can talk to people,and use words such as "you" and "I".
Now you are saying a Buddha is unable experience that?
even though you brought up the fact that he did so.
heart wrote:
I am not sure I agree with that. Even conventionally there is no self. If there was someone would be able to find it, but no such luck. /magnus
but the point is, you did find it,
you did find the conventional self,
and you proved that you found it
the moment you signed
/magnus to that post.

If you disagree
then you must also say that dreams do not occur either.
EMPTIFUL.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote:

/magnus
You mean people do not use the convention "I" and "me" to refer to themselves?
Anders

Post by Anders »

heart wrote:
PadmaVonSamba wrote:
/magnus
Language is based on this misunderstanding but it is hardly a proof of the selfs conventional existence nor does it define it.

/magnus
I think you misunderstand the meaning of 'conventional'.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote:
heart wrote:

/magnus
You mean people do not use the convention "I" and "me" to refer to themselves?
Sure they do, still no proof of an actual conventional self.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

heart

Post by heart »

PadmaVonSamba wrote:
heart wrote: Language is based on this misunderstanding but it is hardly a proof of the selfs conventional existence nor does it define it.
In that case, what exactly do you mean by 'existence''?
All i said was that
That is how a buddha can talk to people,and use words such as "you" and "I".
Now you are saying a Buddha is unable experience that?
even though you brought up the fact that he did so.
heart wrote:
I am not sure I agree with that. Even conventionally there is no self. If there was someone would be able to find it, but no such luck. /magnus
but the point is, you did find it,
you did find the conventional self,
and you proved that you found it
the moment you signed
/magnus to that post.

If you disagree
then you must also say that dreams do not occur either.

Magnus exist in an conventional way, however that is no proof that Magnus have an conventionally existing self.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”