Kids & precepts

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Kids & precepts

Post by kirtu »

seeker242 wrote: At what age do schools generally start teaching kids about drugs and alcohol? I doubt they are out there telling preschoolers "don't smoke crack". :lol:
Kindergarden and 1st grade in many of the schools I have been in. Certainly by 5th and 6th grades. I have often been surprised by some of the posters.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
mandala

Post by mandala »

Don't worry, your friend is wrong - It's not a minimum of 5 vows. People can choose to only take the first 3 - no killing,stealing,lying - if they're not confident they can keep the other 2.
I think you're right, your daughter's too young to mention the booze & sex.

Good job, you!

:smile:
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

The important thing is the intent. If you teach your daughter to avoid committing harm, she will be on the right path. It sounds to me like you are teaching her well.

Five is neither a minimum nor a maximum for the number of precepts. As long as a person is committed to not doing harm, the number of precepts is just a number.

Om mani padme hum
Keith

Return to “Ethical Conduct”