Nestle in action!

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Nestle in action!

Postby greentara » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:19 am

The Swiss food company known as Nestlé is now seeking a patent on Nigella sativa, commonly known as fennel flower, black seed or black cumin. This singular herb has been known to treat everything from fevers to skin rashes. It has been used for centuries in impoverished countries throughout Asia and the Middle East as a reliable and inexpensive herbal medicine. Nestlé wants to patent this herb to prevent food allergies.

Nestlé wouldn’t be the first company to try to patent what is freely offered by Mother Nature.

Read more: http://naturalsociety.com/nestle-patent ... z2ngrXd1U1
greentara

Re: Nestle in action!

Postby Kim O'Hara » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:54 am

Nestle has a long history of profit-driven unethical action. Remember the infant formula scandal - [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestlé_boycott[/url]? That was back in the 70s.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara

Postby shaunc » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:25 am

Excuse my ignorance, but how would it be possible to patent a plant that grows in the wild? A particular strain of that plant possibly, but a species of plant, I wouldn't think possible, or even if it were. How could it be possibly enforced?
Shaun.
shaunc

Postby udawa » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:23 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:Nestle has a long history of profit-driven unethical action. Remember the infant formula scandal - [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestlé_boycott[/url]? That was back in the 70s.

Kim

Indeed. Unfortunately it is just as much an issue today as it was back in the 1970's. The boycott goes on....

http://info.babymilkaction.org/nestlefree

D
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
udawa

Postby greentara » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Shaunc, The exploitation goes on, for example The San or Bushmen of Africa have historically used the Devils Claw and Hoodia for medicinal purposes. The huge firm Unilever bought the rights from the indiginous San for a fraction of what it was worth to sell to the first world as a health product. Just a bit of background on the issue "In 2004, Phytopharm granted the consumer giant Unilever PLC. an exclusive global license for Hoodia gordonii, with their likely incorporation into existing food product for an initial 6.5 million pounds sterling.

Once it had achieved certain milestones.(Under the terms of the agreement, Unilever would buy exclusive rights to the
brands as a functional weight-loss product for the mass market (Phytopharm, 2004)"

The economics of intellectual property in Sth Africa
Rachel Wynberg and Cyril Lombard
greentara

Postby Simon E. » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:59 pm

greentara wrote:The Swiss food company known as Nestlé is now seeking a patent on Nigella sativa, commonly known as fennel flower, black seed or black cumin. This singular herb has been known to treat everything from fevers to skin rashes. It has been used for centuries in impoverished countries throughout Asia and the Middle East as a reliable and inexpensive herbal medicine. Nestlé wants to patent this herb to prevent food allergies.

Nestlé wouldn’t be the first company to try to patent what is freely offered by Mother Nature.

Read more: http://naturalsociety.com/nestle-patent ... z2ngrXd1U1

Appalling.
There is good research which indicates the many highly desirable qualities of Nigella seed.
Qualities which have been known in the Middle East for centuries ( incidentally another of it's names is Black Onion Seed , although it is not the same family of plants at all..it just has a slightly oniony smell. )
I take a spoonful of the oil each day..
The idea that it or any other plant species should be ' owned ' is an abomination.
Simon E.

Postby Simon E. » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:01 pm

If anyone is interested in checking out the seeds for culinary or other purposes they can be found in Asian run grocers shops under the name ' Kalonji ' .

Simon E.

Postby Lindama » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:35 pm

Appalling, indeed!

I take a spoon everyday also... I order it from England although the seed comes from Egypt.

The description of it that comes down from the ages is that it is a cure for anything except death.
Lindama

Postby reddust » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:54 pm

I can see a new black-market where I can actually participate! We all meet in secrecy selling our herbs, seeds, and organic garden produce because it will all be illegal :twothumbsup: :spy:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
reddust

Postby Lindama » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:16 pm

... just about the time that pot becomes legal :spy:
Lindama

Postby reddust » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:23 pm

Lindama wrote:... just about the time that pot becomes legal :spy:

Linda, it's legal in many States here in America, but the Feds keep on raiding the growers and stores. States rights vs Federal powers thing….Feds are arresting parents who show positive and taking their kids…sounds like mafia to me. I'd be careful with this legalization thingy. For profit prisons need workers ya know!
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
reddust

Return to News & Current Events