Splendid Buddhist Murals

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
buddhaflower

Splendid Buddhist Murals

Post by buddhaflower »

Dear Members,

There are so many beautiful murals at temples' walls in Thailand...some very old..some very modern...very beautiful !!

Beautiful Mural - Wat Palelai, Thailand

*************** :heart: :namaste:
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Splendid Buddhist Murals

Post by kirtu »

I have always loved Southern Buddhist murals. This aspect of Buddhist art is missing in Zen oriented temples in general. In the DC area the Cambodian Buddhist Temple on New Hmpshire Avenue has wonderful murals. I'll see if I can find some pictures.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
buddhaflower

Post by buddhaflower »

kirtu wrote:I have always loved Southern Buddhist murals. This aspect of Buddhist art is missing in Zen oriented temples in general. In the DC area the Cambodian Buddhist Temple on New Hmpshire Avenue has wonderful murals. I'll see if I can find some pictures.

Kirt
Dear Kirt,

Because of you, I search yahoo and find many beautiful pictures of Wat Ankor, Cambodia and some exotic Buddhist paintings in temples:

Inside A Buddhist Temple, Kratje, Cambodia

Tales of the East - Buddhist temple in Cambodia

Cambodian Buddhist temple near The Killing Fields memorial in Siem-Rath

Image of Religious Painting At Buddhist Temple In Sisophon, Cambodia

the walls and ceilings of a Buddhist temple outside Kampot, Cambodia

I have no idea that Cambodian arts are very much like Thai arts...just as surprised as the time I watched Youtube clip about Laos and I could understand what they said !!

Happy New Year to you..dear Kirt :heart: and I'll wait to see your mural pictures :anjali:
yawares
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

WOW! These are incredibly beautiful! Thank-you so much! Murals like this almost don't exist in the America's even in Tibetan, Thai, Cambodian and Vietnamese temples (there are some exceptions but they are quite rare). Chinese temples here tend to be very muted and as I noted earlier this kind of art practically doesn't exist in Japanese temples.

Happy New Year!

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
buddhaflower

Post by buddhaflower »

Dear Kirt,

Thank you very much for your comment.

Buddha on Lotus [Water color painting on cotton canvas with pure gold

Buddha thangka painting

********************Buddhaflower :anjali: :heart:
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

Sawaddee Ka

Beautiful Thai Buddhist murals for you all :

tidathep :heart:
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

Here is a local project in California by the Tibetan Gallery and Studio:

Master Painter is First Tibetan to Paint Thanbhochi Outside Tibet

Sebastopol, CA – March 21, 2013: On June 1st, 2013, Tibetan thangka master, Tashi Dhargyal will begin work on a thanbhochi. While people may be familiar with thangka, traditional scroll paintings of Buddhist gods and deities mounted in brocade, this will be the first time a Tibetan master will paint one entirely in the traditional method outside of Tibet. Thangka were designed to be rolled for easy transport in nomadic cultures. A thanbhochi is a multi-story canvas, designed to be displayed at special prayer ceremonies; the canvas Tashi will paint will be 20 feet high by 14 feet wide.

Dhargyal is one of the few masters in the West working entirely in the traditional Tibetan method, which includes hand-prepared canvas, hand ground mineral pigments, and 24k gold. He has opened a special studio and gallery in Sebastopol, California that is open to the public and will house this massive undertaking.

read more: http://www.tashidhargyal.com/studio/

Tashi Dhargyal has begun work on this .... it is awesome. At one point they had a live camera... he's on Facebook.... "Tibetan Gallery & Studio". There are lots of pictures of how the work progresses.

.... the picture below appears cut off... if you click on picture, the whole thing will appear...
Attachments
Tibetan Gallery & Studio.jpg
Tibetan Gallery & Studio.jpg (72.97 KiB) Viewed 7136 times
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

[quote="Lindama"]Here is a local project in California by the Tibetan Gallery and Studio:

Master Painter is First Tibetan to Paint Thanbhochi Outside Tibet quote]
-------------
Sawaddee Ka...Lindama,

I can't wait to see the painting when finish...I love Tibetan murals...so very very beautiful !! :

mural, Tharlam Monastery of Tibetan Buddhism, Boudha, Kathmandu, Nepal

tidathep :anjali:
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

tidathep wrote:
Lindama wrote:Here is a local project in California by the Tibetan Gallery and Studio:

Master Painter is First Tibetan to Paint Thanbhochi Outside Tibet quote]
-------------
Sawaddee Ka...Lindama,

I can't wait to see the painting when finish...I love Tibetan murals...so very very beautiful !! :

mural, Tharlam Monastery of Tibetan Buddhism, Boudha, Kathmandu, Nepal

tidathep :anjali:
I really like Tibetan murals, too, but I have found that they do not really aid my visualization practice much since they are so cartoony. I much prefer that artwork style by the famous painter you posted in red dust's thread. I wonder if he does any Buddha paintings.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

padma norbu wrote: I really like Tibetan murals, too, but I have found that they do not really aid my visualization practice much since they are so cartoony. I much prefer that artwork style by the famous painter you posted in red dust's thread. I wonder if he does any Buddha paintings.
------------
Sawaddee Ka..Padma norbu,

Oh, I posted almost all of Chakrabhand's Buddha paintings in David's Book thread and Daily Dhamma thread..if you like his paintings in Reddust's thread....you'll recognize his paintings when you see them at David thread/Daily Dhamma thread.

ลาวคำหอม : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpKK04bhdk

Chakrachand put his beautiful lady-paintings on his greeting cards/New year cards.....they become the best seller!!!

tidathep :namaste:
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

I've only spent a few weeks in SE Asia - a couple of short holidays - but of the temples I saw, Wat Phnom is the one that stayed with me as a beautiful, welcoming space:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50030099@N04/4621338044/

There are a few other temple pics on my photostream.

:namaste:
Kim
reddust

Post by reddust »

Kim O'Hara wrote:I've only spent a few weeks in SE Asia - a couple of short holidays - but of the temples I saw, Wat Phnom is the one that stayed with me as a beautiful, welcoming space:

Kim
My favorites are the lady looking into the water standing on the bridge and the little roadside alter….I would love to have those here. Maybe I'll put one in our forest near our stream!
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

reddust wrote:
Kim O'Hara wrote:I've only spent a few weeks in SE Asia - a couple of short holidays - but of the temples I saw, Wat Phnom is the one that stayed with me as a beautiful, welcoming space:

Kim
My favorites are the lady looking into the water standing on the bridge and the little roadside alter….I would love to have those here. Maybe I'll put one in our forest near our stream!
Glad you liked them.
I'm guessing the roadside altar you liked was http://www.flickr.com/photos/50030099@N04/4600578815/ - it's my favourite, anyway. It's actually what they call a 'spirit house' and they are all over the place. They are not strictly Buddhist but more animist, dedicated to the spirits of the place. Offerings are left in the spirit house - flowers, food, drink (even alcohol), cigarettes - to keep the spirits happy so they don't bring bad luck to people in the area. Many houses have their own spirit house and offerings to the spirits of departed family members are common, but you also find them on roadsides (especially where accidents often happen) and in the grounds of temples like http://www.flickr.com/photos/50030099@N04/8123465660/ where you wouldn't expect any need for protection.
Putting one in the forest for the tree-spirits and river-spirits sounds like a lovely thing to do.

Kim

[edit: fixed link]
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

Kim
-------------------
Sawaddee Ka..Kim,

I love all pictures..very impressive! The water plants in the river(picture)...called Water Hyacinths ...very beautiful and they spread like crazy...whenever I rowed the boat with my friends..I always picked these flower plants ...took them home for my mom to put in her lilies pool.

And the spirit house ...some are quite beautiful..we call them " San Phra Phoom" .I love this one:

Some are so bling bling....and expensive!
tidathep :heart:
reddust

Post by reddust »

tidathep and Kim, I am going to build a spirit house for my woods this spring. As a kid I could feel all these little eyes watching me, I figured it was just the birds and bugs. But now that I am an adult, I think there were unseen beings also. I was a very practical kid, I've become more fanciful as an adult. There is a deer trail that runs through the backend of my property near our creek, that's where I am going to put the little spirit home. I'm going to make it look like a log cabin, rustic. I really like this rustic looking spirit house
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living

Return to “Lounge”