Art I am working on now

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
reddust

Re: Art I am working on now

Post by reddust »

LastLegend wrote:
reddust wrote:
LastLegend wrote:Reddust, your Buddha painting looks feminine :) :heart:
hahaha, Buddha needs a bro bra…I know a little too much shadow and there is a cleavage :tongue: I get what you're saying though :heart:
Oh I forgot women can become Buddha too :heart:
Subtle hints from everywhere I need to work on my bodhicitta :namaste: thank you
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

reddust wrote:

Subtle hints from everywhere I need to work on my bodhicitta :namaste: thank you
Don't worry. Eat when hungry, sleep when tired. :rolling:
It’s eye blinking.
reddust

Post by reddust »

LastLegend wrote:
reddust wrote:

Don't worry. Eat when hungry, sleep when tired. :rolling:
You :bow: :hug: are so right, I am going to go paint. :cheers:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
reddust

Post by reddust »

Kundaliniattack.jpg
Decided to try a new style of painting, more illustration of a meditating experience I had. The girls red hair is representing strong determination and meditating like your hair is on fire. You all can figure out what the other objects represent if you know your mythology and symbols.
Orangetoad.jpg
I found this picture of a toad in my desktop pictures. I loved it so much I decided it would be my first painting to break the ice after not painting seriously for 20 years. I just love this painting and toad. When I was a kid I didn't like plastic toys, I loved bugs, amphibians, animals, my microscope, and chemistry set. When I was around 7 years old I remember sitting across from a fir tree staring at it's bark for like ten minutes trying to see beyond what my eyes could see. I finally gave up but I knew there was more to this world then what I could sense. I loved me as a kid, I was so weird and quirky. :heart:

We should really love the memories of us being kids and try to remember the energy and wonder of everything we felt back then. This really helps me keep going as I grow older, I am in my 50s now.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

I have to say, you are really a great artist.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

reddust, your work is heartfelt and lovely.... feels like you got your GGrandma. The colors carry the feeling

I just posted a site for a Tibetan painter who paints using geometric grids: http://www.tashidhargyal.com/studio/

here: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11264

Tashi is also on Facebook where you can see his studio closeup day to day.
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Good stuff, I just went to see Jim Woodring: http://www.jimwoodring.com/, he did a big picture of a Frog, using a six foot pen he invented..awesome!

He mentioned that he thought they were a potent spiritual symbol...anyway, just reminded me of it.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
reddust

Post by reddust »

Lindama wrote:reddust, your work is heartfelt and lovely.... feels like you got your GGrandma. The colors carry the feeling

I just posted a site for a Tibetan painter who paints using geometric grids: http://www.tashidhargyal.com/studio/

here: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11264

Tashi is also on Facebook where you can see his studio closeup day to day.
Lindma I started crying, how beautiful the struggle is to keep their crafts alive. I've always felt empathy for Tibetan arts, their colors and style. The beading and fabric work I saw some while I was living in Chicago is so far above what we can make through modern production and so sad the world does not see the worth of individual craftsmanship all our cultures used to support. I hope we can save these amazing craftsmen and women's knowledge. No way can modern production touch the quality they produce. I took a Thangka painting class, the money I paid helped pay for the school, which the video speaks of in India and I think my teacher's name was Tashi. He didn't leave his name on the documents and drawings he gave us to copy and keep and I forgot to write his name down. I didn't want to be rude and take a picture of him face to face, I should of anyway, I am pretty sure he wouldn't of minded. At that time I was still really shy of creating bad etiquette around foreign folks. Maybe it was the same Tashi? Thank you for sharing.
Thangkaartist.jpg
reddust

Post by reddust »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Good stuff, I just went to see Jim Woodring: http://www.jimwoodring.com/, he did a big picture of a Frog, using a six foot pen he invented..awesome!

He mentioned that he thought they were a potent spiritual symbol...anyway, just reminded me of it.
I saved the site for later tonight so I can soak all that weird and wonderful stuff in, OMG, thank you for sharing :jawdrop: :heart:

EDIT: What has always, always fascinated me about amphibians Johnny Dangerous is their ability to transform from a water breathing creature to an air breathing creature. I used to collect salamander eggs and frog eggs raising in multiple fish tanks after I found out salamander's tadpoles eat frog tadpoles. I felt so bad after that happened to me as a kid. I would raise them up and turn them loose when they sprouted their legs and lost their tails. I taught my kids as well, we raised frogs until they turned teenagers. My favorite ritual in the spring as a kid and an adult was to go gather some red legged frog eggs. They are magical in a way :thumbsup:

Me and my Prince
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

Here's a picture of Tashi Dhargyal which is on his facebook page. He is standing on the scaffolding next to the painting. I go in from time to time to see how he is doing. He has a mystical cat named Lhamo who hangs around while he is painting.

btw, your Buddha painting has the same style as one he has on FB.
Attachments
Tashi Dhargyal.jpg
Tashi Dhargyal.jpg (74.88 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
reddust

Post by reddust »

Lindama wrote:Here's a picture of Tashi Dhargyal which is on his facebook page. He is standing on the scaffolding next to the painting. I go in from time to time to see how he is doing. He has a mystical cat named Lhamo who hangs around while he is painting.

btw, your Buddha painting has the same style as one he has on FB.
I do remember Tashi was very cute, I bet this is the same man. I saw the Facebook Buddha and I think they are the very same, even though it is common style you can see his line in both drawings. It was so long ago all the faces have blurred, I think I found my mystery master. I'm going to write his name down on my Buddha he helped me draw. He told me his uncle was his one of his teachers, he started working with his family when he was 9 years old if I remember correctly, it's a family tradition.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Good stuff, I just went to see Jim Woodring: http://www.jimwoodring.com/, he did a big picture of a Frog, using a six foot pen he invented..awesome!

Just saw this in a bookstore:
http://www.shambhala.com/sitting-still-like-a-frog.html
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
reddust

Post by reddust »

dzogchungpa wrote:

Just saw this in a bookstore:
http://www.shambhala.com/sitting-still-like-a-frog.html
Hopefully this won't be taken wrong, when I was painting the orange toad I kept thinking of Choegyal Namkhai Norbu :jumping: I love the man, he is a good person. Meet him at a retreat he was giving, watched him all through the long retreat, he is Buddhaful and has a lovely family and Sangha.
Snovid

Post by Snovid »

Look what I found

This colours :>
I cant do this,I dont know how,but I really want Thigle like this :D
In 3D, each of the spheres inside spheres,not flat but spatial ...
Who can do this?
I am from Poland I use google translator I do not know English
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Simon E. wrote:
tidathep wrote:Sawaddee Ka....Reddust,

In Thailand, chakrabhand posayakrit[อาจารย์จักรพันธ์ โปษยกฤต ] is 1 of the best painters....they say that whenever he starts to paint...some super rich people will try to buy his painting rightaway.....Oh I so love all of his paintings :heart:

tidathep
Ghastly kitsch.
I doubt this is considered kitsch in Thailand. I wouldn't consider it kitsch, either. It reminds me of this...

...and some others I can only vaguely recall from my art history class

It looks hyperrealistic to me. I bet it glows ethereally in person, like most paintings at the Met seem to.

tidathep, does this artist have any paintings of Buddhas? I am fond of some Newar artwork because it looks a bit more realistic than most Tibetan thangkas, for instance, but this Chakrabhand Posayakrit could probably do some super duper thangkas.

EDIT: I Googled the name and didn't really find any great thangkas, just somewhat typical scenes of Avalokiteshvara.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Red dust, I remember back on E-sangha you talked about how you painted buddhas. I see one example in this thread. Ever do one of Red Tara? Is painting your livelihood?
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

oh yes Red,
Red Tara would be great! Who better to do it?

I have Red Tara on my alter, next to Green Tara and Kanzeon (Kannon)
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
reddust

Post by reddust »

padma norbu wrote:Red dust, I remember back on E-sangha you talked about how you painted buddhas. I see one example in this thread. Ever do one of Red Tara? Is painting your livelihood?
I painted Buddhas but I did not have the right geometric grid. I bought some good books and took some classes since esangha days. Now that I am not raising four kids and taking care of a hundred acre tree farm plus going to college and wrorking full time. I can paint full time now that I am retired. To become a self supporting artist one needs good business sense and working the show and gallery circuit. I am an introvert, the gallery circuits are so painful. I am biting te bullet after 25 years and diving into the crazy world of art as a business again. You have to build up a body of wrk to do up the shows. Showing starts this Jan 2014 Red Tara is on my todo list this coming year :namaste:
reddust

Post by reddust »

Lindama wrote:oh yes Red,
Red Tara would be great! Who better to do it?

I have Red Tara on my alter, next to Green Tara and Kanzeon (Kannon)
Simhamukha is my favorite but i love all the Taras I am on my ereader...its awful for posting on the net. Forgive my not going into detail...I have plans :thumbsup:
reddust

Post by reddust »

I will be refraining from posting my work not related to buddhist subjects from now on and will no longer be posting my paintings or other interests on this site. Thank you for your interest. Much appreciated. :namaste:

Return to “Media”