Growth in the Essentials of All Religions

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
Nicholas Weeks

Growth in the Essentials of All Religions

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

King Ashoka Rock edict #12:
Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, honors both ascetics and the householders of all religions, and he honors them with gifts and honors of various kinds.[22] But Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, does not value gifts and honors as much as he values this -- that there should be growth in the essentials of all religions.[23] Growth in essentials can be done in different ways, but all of them have as their root restraint in speech, that is, not praising one's own religion, or condemning the religion of others without good cause. And if there is cause for criticism, it should be done in a mild way. But it is better to honor other religions for this reason. By so doing, one's own religion benefits, and so do other religions, while doing otherwise harms one's own religion and the religions of others. Whoever praises his own religion, due to excessive devotion, and condemns others with the thought "Let me glorify my own religion," only harms his own religion. Therefore contact (between religions) is good.[24] One should listen to and respect the doctrines professed by others. Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, desires that all should be well-learned in the good doctrines of other religions.

Those who are content with their own religion should be told this: Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, does not value gifts and honors as much as he values that there should be growth in the essentials of all religions. And to this end many are working -- Dhamma Mahamatras, Mahamatras in charge of the women's quarters, officers in charge of outlying areas, and other such officers. And the fruit of this is that one's own religion grows and the Dhamma is illuminated also.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
lobster

Re: Growth in the Essentials of All Religions

Post by lobster »

A great reminder at this time of religious capitalism and incidental religious cheer for Baby Jesus. :twothumbsup:
Personally I feel the Hindu inspiration of worshipping as much as possible is a good example to us. Celebrate Christmas. Sure why not.

At an interdenominational religious conference in Hawaii, a Japanese delegate approached a fundamentalist Baptist minister and said, "My humble superstition is Buddhism. What is yours?"
Quoted in Readers Digest

:popcorn:
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Food for thought.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Will wrote:King Ashoka Rock edict #12:
Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, honors both ascetics and the householders of all religions, and he honors them with gifts and honors of various kinds.[22] But Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, does not value gifts and honors as much as he values this -- that there should be growth in the essentials of all religions.[23] Growth in essentials can be done in different ways, but all of them have as their root restraint in speech, that is, not praising one's own religion, or condemning the religion of others without good cause. And if there is cause for criticism, it should be done in a mild way. But it is better to honor other religions for this reason. By so doing, one's own religion benefits, and so do other religions, while doing otherwise harms one's own religion and the religions of others. Whoever praises his own religion, due to excessive devotion, and condemns others with the thought "Let me glorify my own religion," only harms his own religion. Therefore contact (between religions) is good.[24] One should listen to and respect the doctrines professed by others. Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, desires that all should be well-learned in the good doctrines of other religions.

Those who are content with their own religion should be told this: Beloved-of-the-Gods, King Piyadasi, does not value gifts and honors as much as he values that there should be growth in the essentials of all religions. And to this end many are working -- Dhamma Mahamatras, Mahamatras in charge of the women's quarters, officers in charge of outlying areas, and other such officers. And the fruit of this is that one's own religion grows and the Dhamma is illuminated also.
:good:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

So, what are the 'essentials of all religions' ?

Bhikkhu Pesala starts with the Dhamma's essentials:

http://my.opera.com/Pesala/blog/2009/11 ... -religions
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

1. Men are better than women.
2. Being gay is bad.
3. The leaders should wear funny hats.
4. Knees exist to be destroyed (by kneeling, sitting on our legs, tying them into pretzels, etc.)
5. It's important to believe at least one tedentious or unlikely thing.
(no longer participating on this board)
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Alfredo wrote:1. Men are better than women.
2. Being gay is bad.
3. The leaders should wear funny hats.
4. Knees exist to be destroyed (by kneeling, sitting on our legs, tying them into pretzels, etc.)
5. It's important to believe at least one tedentious or unlikely thing.
To think that wits are no longer with us - my my... :focus:
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

lobster wrote: At an interdenominational religious conference in Hawaii, a Japanese delegate approached a fundamentalist Baptist minister and said, "My humble superstition is Buddhism. What is yours?"
Quoted in Readers Digest
:popcorn:
I wonder what the delegate would have said if the Baptist minister had replied: "My humble superstition is Buddhist sanctimony".

Return to “Dharma Stories”