Good stretches for postration.

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
dzogchungpa

Re: Good stretches for postration.

Post by dzogchungpa »

dzogchungpa wrote:Is it actually acceptable to do them that way?
heart wrote:No, of course not. Different traditions.
Malcolm wrote:Yes, of course it is acceptable. A prostration is a prostration.
I see.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
supermaxv

Post by supermaxv »

Well, in my Ngondro materials from my refuge lama, there are specific guidelines and teachings in regards to the proper forms of prostrations for Ngondro accumulation.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

supermaxv wrote:Well, in my Ngondro materials from my refuge lama, there are specific guidelines and teachings in regards to the proper forms of prostrations for Ngondro accumulation.
These things are customs, not Dharma.
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote:
supermaxv wrote:Well, in my Ngondro materials from my refuge lama, there are specific guidelines and teachings in regards to the proper forms of prostrations for Ngondro accumulation.
These things are customs, not Dharma.
Lately I notice you seem to have a custom to question other customs in the Dharma, is that accurate? :smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

:popcorn:
Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Malcolm wrote:
heart wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote: Is it actually acceptable to do them that way?
No, of course not. Different traditions.

/magnus
Yes, of course it is acceptable. A prostration is a prostration.
Things like this are decided by the practitioner's guru.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

For instance since I'm an old geezer I asked permission to use a raised prostration board, which makes them much easier. I got permission, but my teacher probably wouldn't have given a younger person that same permission.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tomamundsen wrote: Things like this are decided by the practitioner's guru.
No, things like this are decided by oneself. If one chooses to follow someone else's idea, still it is one's own choice. Nothing trumps personal authority.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: No, things like this are decided by oneself. If one chooses to follow someone else's idea, still it is one's own choice. Nothing trumps personal authority.
Since this is actual practice we are talking about, where do you draw the line? Can you make up your own mantra? Create a new deity or sadhana?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

smcj wrote:
Malcolm wrote: No, things like this are decided by oneself. If one chooses to follow someone else's idea, still it is one's own choice. Nothing trumps personal authority.
Since this is actual practice we are talking about, where do you draw the line? Can you make up your own mantra? Create a new deity or sadhana?
There are no rules, my friend., apart from those we choose to follow.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote:
In my work I sometimes have to go to 3 or 4 different places a week, places I've never been to before. They give me directions and a map on how to get there. Nobody forces me to follow their directions, but if I choose not to follow them I can't blame the guy that made the map if I get lost or if I am late. If I take a shortcut I do so at my own peril.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

smcj wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
In my work I sometimes have to go to 3 or 4 different places a week, places I've never been to. They give me directions and a map on how to get there. Nobody forces me to follow their directions, but if I choose not to follow them I can't blame the guy that made the map if I get lost or if I am late. If I take a shortcut I do so at my own peril.
Maps do not specify if you are to arrive by walking, train, car, bike, bus, helicopter or motorbike.

Incidentally, prostrations as a "practice" are Tibetan innovation. This is not a bad thing, but it does need to be recognized as such.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Malcolm wrote:
No, things like this are decided by oneself. If one chooses to follow someone else's idea, still it is one's own choice. Nothing trumps personal authority.
That's true. But I don't quite see the point of practicing Vajrayana if you aren't following a guru that you trust enough to defer practice instructions.
muni

Post by muni »

smcj wrote:
For instance since I'm an old geezer I asked permission to use a raised prostration board, which makes them much easier. I got permission, but my teacher probably wouldn't have given a younger person that same permission.

The master sees what is the best for the student. All who have health problems or damages at the body, inform about.
While difficulties can be part of the exercise and need no cusshion or board if the body is healthy enough.
I make the mistake to want to protect the young bodies, because of the experiences that young is not the same as strong.
heart

Post by heart »

tomamundsen wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
That's true. But I don't quite see the point of practicing Vajrayana if you aren't following a guru that you trust enough to defer practice instructions.
That is a good question. However old practitioners is often given more leeway, at least I am, when it comes to what practice to do and perhaps Malcolm is talking from that perspective.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
muni

Post by muni »

The Guru is only helping. It is ones own practice, own liberation. 84000 ways to cure. In that way we cannot judge others medicine.

The gratitude and deep respect for the sacred given medicine, is also expressed by prostration.
Awaken ones their sometimes very old bodies bow down till last breath fades.

All the best with ngondro. :namaste:
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Incidentally, prostrations as a "practice" are Tibetan innovation. This is not a bad thing, but it does need to be recognized as such.
Nylon strings on a classical guitar are an American invention. Nobody wants to go back to cat-gut strings. Sometimes innovation is improvement. But if you tried to put metal strings on a classical guitar you'd collapse the instrument. You've got to know what you're doing. Best to trust the experts.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

smcj wrote:
Nylon strings on a classical guitar are an American invention. Nobody wants to go back to cat-gut strings. Sometimes innovation is improvement. But if you tried to put metal strings on a classical guitar you'd collapse the instrument. You've got to know what you're doing. Best to trust the experts.
My basic point of course, is that I have seen numerous people injure themselves severely with prostrations (knees, backs, necks, wrists). As a Doctor, my motivation is to prevent further injuries so people can practice well and long. The Nalanda style of prostrations (so called half prostrations) is better than that Vikramashila style (so called full prostrations). It is easier on the back, knees and neck.

Sun salutations is better than either in my opinion, because it works all the major joints and channels with little risk of injury done slowly and with care.
florin

Post by florin »

smcj wrote: Can you make up your own mantra? Create a new deity or sadhana?

You can make up your own mantra.
One of these made up mantras is OM TELEPHONE SVAHA.
Yeah...do that... :rolling:
byamspa

Post by byamspa »

alpha wrote:
smcj wrote: Can you make up your own mantra? Create a new deity or sadhana?

You can make up your own mantra.
One of these made up mantras is OM TELEPHONE SVAHA.
Yeah...do that... :rolling:
The current state of samsara seems to be toward 'OM MONEY PAY ME NOW' :(
Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”