Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Pema Rigdzin wrote:
Is it more effective to create a namkha for oneself vs. purchasing an authentic one made by others?


It doesn't matter -- the main point is that it is the correctly one for your year, and that you authenticate it and keep it in your home.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:18 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Posts: 10289
Location: Greece
I have the lung for this practice from ChNN and the dvd/cd and booklet set but the set does not include a practice. Where can I get the text for the authentication rite/practice?
:namaste:

_________________
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
gregkavarnos wrote:
I have the lung for this practice from ChNN and the dvd/cd and booklet set but the set does not include a practice. Where can I get the text for the authentication rite/practice?
:namaste:



It in the back of the thun book.

N

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:32 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Posts: 10289
Location: Greece
Thank you!
:namaste:

_________________
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:19 am
Posts: 1030
Location: Southern Oregon
Namdrol wrote:

It doesn't matter -- the main point is that it is the correctly one for your year, and that you authenticate it and keep it in your home.


I'm assuming the necessary info to enable one to choose the correct one can be found in ChNN's namkha booklet? Also, you know where properly made namkha can be found for purchase online?

Lastly, without asking you to share anything inappropriate, could you share a little about the benefits you've experienced from your namkha?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Pema Rigdzin wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

It doesn't matter -- the main point is that it is the correctly one for your year, and that you authenticate it and keep it in your home.


I'm assuming the necessary info to enable one to choose the correct one can be found in ChNN's namkha booklet? Also, you know where properly made namkha can be found for purchase online?

Lastly, without asking you to share anything inappropriate, could you share a little about the benefits you've experienced from your namkha?



There is a book with complete instructions for calculating ones Namkha-- there is also a computer program for Windows that works too. http://tibecal.youhost.com.ar/namkha.php

well, it brightens my shrine room considerably.

They are very cheerful and useful. DOing the practice of Namkha balances your energy. You do need to periodically re-authenticate, especially when you are having a problem.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:34 pm
Posts: 16
I have also the Lung for the Namkha consecration, but just the Thun book, so just the rabne text. Could someone (maybe if neccessary private) give some more information about it? It is supposed to balance the elements? Once empowered, can you just burn the Namkha if you dont want it anymore or would that have negative effects?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:51 am
Posts: 439
I'm getting ready to construct a Namkha. And my question is how to cut the notches in the dowels. What would I need to buy to cut the notches? I don't have a lot of hand strength. And what kind of thread is best? Does thread mean thread or yarn or string or stiff crochet thread? And how much? A few things are not covered in the book, lol
Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 pm
Posts: 600
Location: kent
Lhasa wrote:
I'm getting ready to construct a Namkha. And my question is how to cut the notches in the dowels. What would I need to buy to cut the notches? I don't have a lot of hand strength. And what kind of thread is best? Does thread mean thread or yarn or string or stiff crochet thread? And how much? A few things are not covered in the book, lol
Thanks


Your best bet would be embroidery thread.Dont go for anything which has elasticity or to much fluffiness to it because it will get very loose and lose its shape and some colours will sit on top of other colours.
And you would need lots of it and looooots of patience since you will inevitably make mistakes.
As to what kind of knife to use i would guess a Stanley knife or a sharp cutter would do but that also depends on the sticks you will use.
Try sticks used for staking plants which you would typically find in any garden centre.

_________________
AOM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:23 pm
Posts: 122
alpha wrote:
Lhasa wrote:
I'm getting ready to construct a Namkha. And my question is how to cut the notches in the dowels. What would I need to buy to cut the notches? I don't have a lot of hand strength. And what kind of thread is best? Does thread mean thread or yarn or string or stiff crochet thread? And how much? A few things are not covered in the book, lol
Thanks


Your best bet would be embroidery thread.Dont go for anything which has elasticity or to much fluffiness to it because it will get very loose and lose its shape and some colours will sit on top of other colours.
And you would need lots of it and looooots of patience since you will inevitably make mistakes.
As to what kind of knife to use i would guess a Stanley knife or a sharp cutter would do but that also depends on the sticks you will use.
Try sticks used for staking plants which you would typically find in any garden centre.


There are lots of different types of embroidery thread. More specifically I used some similar to these 6 ply cotton threads that you should be able to find at a crafting type store. http://www.thread-bear.co.uk/category/2280/DMC_Stranded_Embroidery_Cotton

I'm not generally so good with crafts so just cutting the notches with a saw (and no vice) and getting them to fit snugly together was a big pain. In the future I will probably look into a way to get them precut for me and save myself a lot of of time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 pm
Posts: 600
Location: kent
simhanada wrote:
alpha wrote:
Lhasa wrote:
I'm getting ready to construct a Namkha. And my question is how to cut the notches in the dowels. What would I need to buy to cut the notches? I don't have a lot of hand strength. And what kind of thread is best? Does thread mean thread or yarn or string or stiff crochet thread? And how much? A few things are not covered in the book, lol
Thanks


Your best bet would be embroidery thread.Dont go for anything which has elasticity or to much fluffiness to it because it will get very loose and lose its shape and some colours will sit on top of other colours.
And you would need lots of it and looooots of patience since you will inevitably make mistakes.
As to what kind of knife to use i would guess a Stanley knife or a sharp cutter would do but that also depends on the sticks you will use.
Try sticks used for staking plants which you would typically find in any garden centre.



There are lots of different types of embroidery thread. More specifically I used some similar to these 6 ply cotton threads that you should be able to find at a crafting type store. http://www.thread-bear.co.uk/category/2280/DMC_Stranded_Embroidery_Cotton

I'm not generally so good with crafts so just cutting the notches with a saw (and no vice) and getting them to fit snugly together was a big pain. In the future I will probably look into a way to get them precut for me and save myself a lot of of time.




That is exactly the thread i meant.Excellent.
Making a namkha can be a bit challenging and it takes a fair amount of time .

_________________
AOM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:58 pm
Posts: 630
Is there a DC member in the San Francisco Bay Area who is good
at constructing a Namkha? I would like in-person assistance or
to have one made for me. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:59 am
Posts: 97
Malcolm wrote:
JinpaRangdrol wrote:
I remember watching an old documentary following an extremely elaborate Tara puja (possibly Nyingma, but definitely not Terma) in which namkhas were used to construct a mandala of sorts. I wish I remembered more about it, but it certainly seemed to be an old Tara Tantra, just judging by the complexity of the ritual.



Not a tantra, a rite called "grol ma gyul ldog" i.e. The rite of Tara for repelling Armies


Nice pictures of this puja: http://tsechen.wordpress.com/pujas/tara-repelling-rite/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:30 pm
Posts: 1444
ngodrup wrote:
Is there a DC member in the San Francisco Bay Area who is good
at constructing a Namkha? I would like in-person assistance or
to have one made for me. Thanks.


Do you go to Dondrub Ling at all? I know there's been a Namkha workshop there before, and we just did a Namkha rite last month for someone during a group puja. If not I can probably get you in contact with someone though.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group