Accepting feelings and letting go

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
emmapeach

Accepting feelings and letting go

Post by emmapeach »

Hello,

I have another question today. I've told you earlier that I suffer a lot from my anxiety which has its cause in the problems I have but mostly from the problems I had in the past. My body is conditioned to those feelings and they arise out of nothing. Of course they also have to do with current problems but none of these is life threatening and none is as difficult as the ones I went through in the past. But the feeling is as intense.
I always read about accepting the feeling, allowing it, look deeper into it and then it will transform. It does. I experience this all the time when I try. I try to look at this feeling but it vanishes immediately. It is there as potent as ever when I don't look at it closely, when I only feel it without watching it. As soon as I look at this feeling it is gone. What does this mean? What can I do when those miserable feelings arise again and I suffer so much from them? I don't know how to exactly describe it but I feel they won't ever change if they can come and go whenever they want to. Like, hey, she's watching us now but that#s okay - we can agonize her the rest of the day...
They don't seem to lose their power...
justsit

Re: Accepting feelings and letting go

Post by justsit »

Sometimes it is helpful to face your demons, and find out what they need. This is an excellent guide.
futerko

Post by futerko »

justsit wrote:Sometimes it is helpful to face your demons, and find out what they need. This is an excellent guide.
:good:

Also here http://feedingyourdemons.co.uk/feeding/ ... ocess.html
Martin007

Post by Martin007 »

emmapeach wrote: I've told you earlier that I suffer a lot from my anxiety which has its cause in the problems I have but mostly from the problems I had in the past. My body is conditioned to those feelings and they arise out of nothing. Of course they also have to do with current problems but none of these is life threatening and none is as difficult as the ones I went through in the past. But the feeling is as intense.
I think this is known as "free-floating" or chronic anxiety, and it's a tricky one to deal with. The approach of treating it like an old friend might be helpful - practices like metta bhavana or tonglen could be helpful in developing a more kindly and accepting attitude to such feelings, which in turn will allow a better understanding of them.
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq248KMOh8I

i dont know if this is helpful, haven't watched it- just found it on my youtube sidebar.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”