Yangsi Penor Rinpoche found!

kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Penor Rinpoche Yangsi

Post by kirtu »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:
Glyn wrote:I suspect that soon there will be an announcement about the Penor Rinpoche Yangsi. I suspect that he will have a twin brother and will have been found in the Pharping area outisde Kathmandu, with some sort of recognition letter written by a very hard to see Nyingma Lama who lives nearby.
Glyn, I'm not a native speaker and maybe I'm getting this wrong, but in my understanding the word "suspect" implies that you assume there is something going wrong. Similarly, the phrase "some sort of recognition letter" sounds a bit pejorative to me.
No, his English does not support these conclusions (or suspicions). This is the standard form for guarded conversation in English. The only conclusions that can be draw is that Glyn doesn't have all the information or is a bit uncertain about the facts. This kind of speech is necessary in English, if one wishes to be careful, in order to posit facts that don't one is not 100% certain about as English has no subjunctive case.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: Yangsi Penor Rinpoche found!

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Tara wrote:Please note: Two topics on the same subject have been merged.
Johnny Dangerous wrote:off topic posts removed, topic split to here:
wtf?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
emaho

Post by emaho »

kirtu wrote:No, his English does not support these conclusions (or suspicions). This is the standard form for guarded conversation in English. The only conclusions that can be draw is that Glyn doesn't have all the information or is a bit uncertain about the facts. This kind of speech is necessary in English, if one wishes to be careful, in order to posit facts that don't one is not 100% certain about as English has no subjunctive case.

Kirt
Thanks for clarification. I thought the expressions "I assume" or "I guess" had the meaning of expressing some neutral speculation about uncertain facts, whereas "I suspect" would mean - well, that you're kind of suspicious of something. I didn't know this could be used in a neutral meaning.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
yegyal

Post by yegyal »

So a couple interestings side notes to this:
1. This is the first time ever that Chatral Rinpoche has been involved with the recognition of a tulku. Though he actually only gave the date and area of the birth, the rest was worked out by Thubten Palzang.
2. It was predetermined that they would keep Penor Rinpoche's remains intact until they found his rebirth, so the cremation last May was actually a sign that the recognition had occurred.
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Official announcement made on the Palyul International website:

http://news.palyul.org/2013/12/05/offic ... carnation/

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:
kirtu wrote:No, his English does not support these conclusions (or suspicions). This is the standard form for guarded conversation in English. The only conclusions that can be draw is that Glyn doesn't have all the information or is a bit uncertain about the facts. This kind of speech is necessary in English, if one wishes to be careful, in order to posit facts that don't one is not 100% certain about as English has no subjunctive case.

Kirt
Thanks for clarification. I thought the expressions "I assume" or "I guess" had the meaning of expressing some neutral speculation about uncertain facts, whereas "I suspect" would mean - well, that you're kind of suspicious of something. I didn't know this could be used in a neutral meaning.
Suspect has that connotation as an adjective, but not as a verb.
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

yegyal wrote:So a couple interestings side notes to this:
1. This is the first time ever that Chatral Rinpoche has been involved with the recognition of a tulku.
That is debatable. Some would say that he has informally been involved before, although he has also been critical of the tradition.

For the record, he has also recently written a letter regarding one of a set of twins. I thought this was related to the Penor Yangsi, but it's obviously not the case.
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
emaho

Post by emaho »

tomamundsen wrote:Suspect has that connotation as an adjective, but not as a verb.
Thanks!
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

Glyn wrote:
1. This is the first time ever that Chatral Rinpoche has been involved with the recognition of a tulku.
That is debatable. Some would say that he has informally been involved before, although he has also been critical of the tradition.

For the record, he has also recently written a letter regarding one of a set of twins. I thought this was related to the Penor Yangsi, but it's obviously not the case.
He was also quite involved in the Dudjom Yangsi recognition process, making it clear that the Tibetan yangsi, Dudjom Tulku Sangye Pema Zhepa, was the true tulku. Although over time it seems everyone's stance has softened on that.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tsultrim T. wrote:
Glyn wrote:

He was also quite involved in the Dudjom Yangsi recognition process, making it clear that the Tibetan yangsi, Dudjom Tulku Sangye Pema Zhepa, was the true tulku. Although over time it seems everyone's stance has softened on that.
Hence the flaw of partisan politics and biases in the Tulku system (Dudjom Yangsi, Karmapa, I am sure we can think of other instances).
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

Forgot to add I am overjoyed by Penor Rinpoche's reincarnation being found!
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Why ? Is Steven Seagal looking a bit peaky ?
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
yegyal

Is the tulku system too exclusive?

Post by yegyal »

No Chatral Rinpoche was not formally involved with the recognition of Dudjom Yangsi. Yes, he supported the recognition and took Yangsi as a student, but if you look at the long life prayer he wrote, he says that because the important nyingma lamas recognized him he went along with it.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Tsultrim T. wrote:Forgot to add I am overjoyed by Penor Rinpoche's reincarnation being found!
Then I am overjoyed for you. :smile:
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

A couple of new photos of Yangsi Penor Rinpoche have surfaced on Facebook. They're delightful, so I thought I'd share them here for those who are interested in seeing more of the precocious tulku.

:bow:

HH Penor Rinpoche Yangsi with HE Tulku Thubsang:

Looking stylish:

:twothumbsup:

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

Nice pictures!!
plwk

Post by plwk »

phpBB [video]
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

plwk wrote:
phpBB [video]
I especially like 1:17 to 1:23
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

kirtu wrote:[English has no subjunctive case.

Kirt

I know this is old, but my inner Grammar Nazi makes be post this on the subjunctive mood.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
plwk

Post by plwk »

phpBB [video]

Return to “Nyingma”