Sakya Monastery in Seattle, WA

coolbreeze

Sakya Monastery in Seattle, WA

Post by coolbreeze »

I happened to come across a website for the Sakya Monastery of Tibetan Buddhism in Seattle, WA, and was wondering why HH Sakya Trinzin doesn't seem to be affiliated. I know very little about the Sakyas, and was just surfing the net linking around, and came across the site. Does anybody have any information about them. They don't seem to be listed here in the Sakya section of DW, unless of course, I missed something. I am just curious.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Sakya Monastery in Seattle, WA

Post by kirtu »

The Sakya Monastery in Seattle is headed by HH Dagchen Rinpoche. This was where HE Dezhung Rinpoche lived and began teaching from.

HH Dagchen Rinpoche used to be the head of the Sakya school. However during the Chinese invasion he was on a pilgrimage/tour of Kham and Amdo and was feared lost. Therefore the current Sakya Trizen was enthroned as a young boy.

They are the respective heads of two different branches of the Khon family.

HH Dagchen Rinpoche doesn't travel much except occasionally to Nepal.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
supermaxv

Post by supermaxv »

Yep. His Holiness Sakya Trizin comes by about once a year for teachings though, and it's quite the event. Next year he'll be back the first week of May. I'm at the Monastery at least 1-2x a week and feel incredibly blessed to live within walking distance.
Zettel

Post by Zettel »

I miss that neighborhood. I could go for some Gorditos right now.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Zettel wrote:I miss that neighborhood. I could go for some Gorditos right now.
:good:

it's a lovely temple. Recommended.
coolbreeze

Post by coolbreeze »

After all my time in the dharma, I'm just now beginning to learn about other lineages. Thanks all.
VajraLion

Post by VajraLion »

This is where I go to learn the Dharma, not only is HH Dagchen Rinpoche, Manjushri in person, actively teaching but there are other Lama's like my root guru Tulku Yeshi Gyatso Rinpoche who are readily accessible --> www.bodhitreeleaf.org

HH Sakya Trizin comes and gives teaching occasionally, I have received White Mahakahla initiation from him at the monastery. He will be coming in a few months to bestow the 1000 arm Chenrezig initiation as well.

also www.sakya.org is the website. Also plenty of info can be obtained from NW Dharma associations website.
ཨོཾ Through blood, sweat and tears the solution appears: The pride needs defended by a Lion! ཨོཾ
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Been twice so far, wonderful experiences, and a wonderful place.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
VajraLion

Post by VajraLion »

supermaxv wrote:Yep. His Holiness Sakya Trizin comes by about once a year for teachings though, and it's quite the event. Next year he'll be back the first week of May. I'm at the Monastery at least 1-2x a week and feel incredibly blessed to live within walking distance.
Ahh lucky you! Its a couple hour drive for me, not that im complaining..
I feel blessed to have access to the Monastery at all.

And it is quite the event, I got to hold a banner and stand along the walkway. As soon as I walked up and saw all the people around Khenpo-La just handed me a big brocade banner and said "You hold." :D
ཨོཾ Through blood, sweat and tears the solution appears: The pride needs defended by a Lion! ཨོཾ

Return to “Sakya”