Question Regarding Bodhisattva Vows

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Khalil Bodhi

Question Regarding Bodhisattva Vows

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi Everyone,

In the few traditions I have studied within the Mahayana (Soto Zen, Korean Seon and Kagyu), I have noticed and been uncomfortable with the vows to save all beings. I have often wondered where this comes from as the Lord Buddha himself made no such asseveration (at least according to the Pali canon). I find much to admire and practice in all of the traditions mentioned parenthetically above but the vow to save all beings makes me uncomfortable whether it is a vow made in earnest or a rhetorical device.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the question and my apologies if I have offended anyone. Mettaya!
Looking for a true, virtual community to support your practice? Visit http://dharmapaths.com/

plwk

Re: Question Regarding Bodhisattva Vows

Postby plwk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:03 pm

seeker242

Postby seeker242 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:41 pm

One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

plwk

Postby plwk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:59 pm

Thank you both for your answers. I have heard a variationof the explanation given by Master Hui Neng before but for some reason it fails to satisfy. I will have to watch the videos of Master Shen Yen later. Every good blessing!
Looking for a true, virtual community to support your practice? Visit http://dharmapaths.com/

pemachophel

Postby pemachophel » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Practice at the level you have faith in and devotion for. We all have our own karma, and one size Dharma doesn't fit all. That's why Lord Buddha taught 84,000 doors to Dharma. IOW, all the Yanas (Vehicles) are valid and all will lead you to Awakening if practiced with faith, sincerity, and diligence.

Good luck and best wishes.

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

sukhamanveti

Postby sukhamanveti » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:48 pm

namo bhagavate śākyamunaye tathāgatāyārhate samyaksaṁbuddhāya | namaḥ sarvabuddhabodhisattvebhyaḥ ||

"Bodhisattva-mahāsattvas love all beings in the world equally, as if each were their only child..." Buddhāvataṃsakamahāvaipulya Sūtra

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”