World Chess Championship 2013

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: World Chess Championship 2013

Post by catmoon »

Ermagerd what was that Nf1 shriek shriek aaaaaaaaaagh
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Game 9

Carlsen wins in 28 moves!

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. f3 d5 5. a3 Bxc3+ 6. bxc3 c5 7. cxd5 exd5 8. e3 c4 9. Ne2 Nc6 10. g4 O-O 11. Bg2 Na5 12. O-O Nb3 13. Ra2 b5 14. Ng3 a5 15. g5 Ne8 16. e4 Nxc1 17. Qxc1 Ra6 18. e5 Nc7 19. f4 b4 20. axb4 axb4 21. Rxa6 Nxa6 22. f5 b3 23. Qf4 Nc7 24. f6 g6 25. Qh4 Ne8 26. Qh6 b2 27. Rf4 b1=Q+ 28. Nf1 Qe1

Anand was threatening check mate along the h file and came so close. He went for the win, but Carlsen had a passed pawn that could not be stopped.

Match score: 6-3

Now Carlsen only needs a draw in one more game, perhaps tomorrow to win the Match. He will be the new World Champion.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

catmoon wrote:Ermagerd what was that Nf1 shriek shriek aaaaaaaaaagh
Anand used about 40 minutes on move 23 and was running low on time after that. I suppose Bf1 would have been the better move; resulting in either a win or at least a draw for Anand.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Did you see the postgame conference? Both players threw out long and stunningly complex variations that completely transformed the position. It was a mind-boggling peek at the inner workings of player's minds
at this level.

So sad to see it all blundered away. One wonders how a grandmaster could possibly make such a catastrophic and short-ranged mistake, with twenty minutes in hand. But I've seen worse.

Someone should pay these guys to play out the game properly a few times! But I suppose before it could be organized, computer-aided analysts would have it completely answered.
gad rgyangs

Post by gad rgyangs »

gad rgyangs wrote:Carlsen will wipe the floor with Anand. /thread :meditate:
ahem...
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.

"I must finally conclude that this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."
- Descartes, 2nd Meditation 25
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

This game leaves so many unanswered questions.

1. The engines give what look like pretty playable variations that run some 15 or 20 moves further on. Given what was at stake, shouldn't Anand have played on in the faint hope of errors by Carlsen?

2. Will we ever find out what would have happened if Anand had blocked with the Bishop? I can't find much in the way of analysis on the net outside of a few computer lines with the note tacked on evaluating the position reached as still unclear.

3. Is there any chance of an exhaustive computer analysis? Maybe a co-operative search via internet using thousands of computers?

4. Is it possible Anand resigned in a drawable position?

5. Carlsen and Anand both gave lines at the post game press conference. Have they been gone over? How good are those lines?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

gad rgyangs wrote:
ahem...
:thumbsup: Good call. I thought Carlsen would win it too, but wasn't expecting it to be by 3 wins (points), if this is how it ends. I imagine Carlsen, playing white, will just play for a quick draw and win the match later today/tomorrow (depending upon your time zone).
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Game 10

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. Bb5+ Nd7 4. d4 cxd4 5. Qxd4 a6 6. Bxd7+ Bxd7 7. c4 Nf6 8. Bg5 e6 9. Nc3 Be7 10. O-O Bc6 11. Qd3 O-O 12. Nd4 Rc8 13. b3 Qc7 14. Nxc6 Qxc6 15. Rac1 h6 16. Be3 Nd7 17. Bd4 Rfd8 18. h3 Qc7 19. Rfd1 Qa5 20. Qd2 Kf8 21. Qb2 Kg8 22. a4 Qh5 23. Ne2 Bf6 24. Rc3 Bxd4 25. Rxd4 Qe5 26. Qd2 Nf6 27. Re3 Rd7 28. a5 Qg5 29. e5 Ne8 30. exd6 Rc6 31. f4 Qd8 32. Red3 Rcxd6 33. Rxd6 Rxd6 34. Rxd6 Qxd6 35. Qxd6 Nxd6 36. Kf2 Kf8 37. Ke3 Ke7 38. Kd4 Kd7 39. Kc5 Kc7 40. Nc3 Nf5 41. Ne4 Ne3 42. g3 f5 43. Nd6 g5 44. Ne8+ Kd7 45. Nf6+ Ke7 46. Ng8+ Kf8 47. Nxh6 gxf4 48. gxf4 Kg7 49. Nxf5+ exf5 50. Kb6 Ng2 51. Kxb7 Nxf4 52. Kxa6 Ne6 53. Kb6 f4 54. a6 f3 55. a7 f2 56. a8=Q f1=Q 57. Qd5 Qe1 58. Qd6 Qe3+ 59. Ka6 Nc5+ 60. Kb5 Nxb3 61. Qc7+ Kh6 62. Qb6+ Qxb6+ 63. Kxb6 Kh5 64. h4 Kxh4 65. c5 Nxc5 ½-½

Draw

Final Match score: 6.5-3.5

3 Wins for Carlsen
0 Wins for Anand
7 draws

Magnus Carlsen wins the match!!! No need for the final 2 games since it is a best of 12 series.

Congratulations to Norway and all Carlsen fans!!

At 22 years and 11 months old he is the second youngest to win the world championship (Kasparov was 22 years and 6 months old when he won)

He joins this list of other world champion contenders who won the championship match with no losses (not counting the matches during the split era when there wasn't an undisputed champion):

Emanuel Lasker
Jose Raul Capablanca

And Carlsen is at the top of the ratings chart, which further puts him in a class nearly on his own. Time will tell with how many times he can now defend this title to see where he will place among the all-time greats.
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

lol. when reading your post i heard the crazy wild horse race commentator yell inside my head when reading your post. CARLSEN WINS. :F1flag:
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
plwk

Post by plwk »

Told ya so David... I knew he would take the crown :twothumbsup:
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Watched this live, and it was pretty intense in certain phases. All in all a rather fun tournament. :)
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Funny this should come up. My internal analogy for crazy wisdom is based on this kind of chess. Let me explain:

When I was a kid my buddies were into studying chess. They read books on opening, strategies, and such. They could beat me playing blindfolded (and stoned), that kind of thing.

So one day we decide to review some Fisher/Spasky games. All their moves made no sense to me. In one game there were a couple dozen nonsensical moves, and then one guy resigned. Huh? WTF? Their playing was so far above what I could see that it didn't make sense to me. That's not to say they didn't make sense, just that I couldn't see it.

The analogy here for 'crazy wisdom' is that what an enlightened master is doing won't make sense to me either. That doesn't mean that what he is doing isn't making sense, just that it is so far above my head I can't see it.

Now this is an unpopular interpretation because we do not accept the idea that there are people that much more evolved than we are. Our democratic egalitarian culture doesn't allow for that kind of idea. But we do not have a history of people with access to advanced Dharma practices. For non-Dzogchen people the practices are supposed to actually change your awareness. Not change the nature of your mind, which cannot be changed, just the way it manifests it. In a much less dynamic way (advanced tantric practices being very dynamic) our own educational system changes our awareness too. Somebody that is educated has evolved (usually) and is 'more aware' than an ignorant person. It is definitely not the case that they simply have more information at their disposal. The effort they have put into learning has effectively changed them. In our educational system this change is a side effect. In Dharma this change is the deliberate, designed, desired and primary effect. The practices are supposed to change us. In a way a better analogy to our educational system would be going to the gym. Exercising changes your body; that's the point. It changes your body both internally and externally, and it gives you better health and capabilities. But since your mind has more capacity for development than your body, when someone goes to the 'Dharma gym' their development can be exponentially greater, hence 'crazy wisdom'.

I know a lot of people won't like that. But since we were talking about chess on a buddhist website I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

gad rgyangs wrote:
ahem...
Buddha still evaporates Thor, in any kalpa.

Sorry for being a sore loser, but now I have to eat Rakfisk every week for 3 months.

Rakfisk - Norwegian fish dish made from trout or sometimes char, salted and fermented for two to three months, or even up to a year, then eaten without cooking.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

smcj wrote:But since your mind has more capacity for development than your body, when someone goes to the 'Dharma gym' their development can be exponentially greater, hence 'crazy wisdom'.

I know a lot of people won't like that. But since we were talking about chess on a buddhist website I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
That makes sense. The Polgar sisters were trained vigorously by their father and it worked. Both are grandmasters at chess and Judit Polgar came very close to the world championship one time. Imagine if that effort was placed into Dharma development . . .

On another theme from your post, Carlsen was a prodigy and a GM at age 13. Where did he get that super high intelligence and skill from? There are numerous others who train probably just as hard or even more but couldn't win a game against him even if Carlsen was blind-folded and playing several others simultaneously . . . karma, rebirth, possibly . . .
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Will wrote: Buddha still evaporates Thor, in any kalpa.
:lol:
Sorry for being a sore loser, but now I have to eat Rakfisk every week for 3 months.
Rakfisk - Norwegian fish dish made from trout or sometimes char, salted and fermented for two to three months, or even up to a year, then eaten without cooking.
Lost a bet? I thought you were a vegetarian? Making an exception for the lost bet or were you always an omnivore?
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Will wrote: Buddha still evaporates Thor, in any kalpa.
:lol:
Lost a bet? I thought you were a vegetarian? Making an exception for the lost bet or were you always an omnivore?
No bet, no rakfisk - just a silly fabricated joke. :smile:
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Will wrote:
No bet, no rakfisk - just a silly fabricated joke. :smile:
Your karma is most auspicious. You could have been stuck with eating lutefisk!

Notice the effect of the lye on the fish- is has turned into nearly transparent goo. And that's not sauce on the fork, it's the fork corroding away right before your eyes!
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

On the other hand; Carlsen may have been raised on lutefisk & rakfisk....... hmmm.......

Nope - to great a price to pay for Chess domination.

Back to the topic - seriously, is there any real competition for him now or upcoming in the ranks?

Also David, is your D-chess growing more popular?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Will wrote: Back to the topic - seriously, is there any real competition for him now or upcoming in the ranks?
I don't think so. He has nearly a 100 point elo rating above the number 2, which is pretty unprecedented. It will be interesting to see just how long he can hold on to the title. Speculating of course, but what if he could hold the title for 20 years or longer? At his age, it is possible and then in that case he clearly would belong in the top 3 if not even number one all-time.
Also David, is your D-chess growing more popular?
No, not much. :( :D But that is okay; I did that just for fun. A few clubs tried it out on a trial basis, but none stuck with it. Fischer960 has the best chance as a chess variant and it also uses displaced pieces in the back row, but only 960 different starting positions and both white and black have same position. It solves many of the problems, but not all. There are not only many clubs playing Fischer960 but also even online. I believe over at chess.com one can play either regular or Fischer960 and you can have a separate rating for the type you are playing.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Yesterday Magnus officially received his check (about $1.6 million USD) and his award trophy.

Return to “Lounge”