The Sangha Jewel and Dharma Wheel

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

The Sangha Jewel and Dharma Wheel

Postby Karma Tashi G. » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:10 pm

What is the Sangha? Is this online community a Sangha? Is it a big public square where Buddhists can meet among throngs of other people (the square would not be considered Sangha) What if there were clever machines that were programmed to mimic questions and responses and they posted to this site? Would they be Sangha members? Do the rules that govern how we behave in Sangha apply here? Disrupting the unity? How does E-Sangha fit into the three jewels? Does immediate physical presence indispensable or can pointing-out instructions and other sacred activities be done remotely? If humans migrate to E-space, then does Buddhism follow it there?

KTG
Karma Tashi G.

Re: The Sangha Jewel and Dharma Wheel

Postby Ayu » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:23 pm

A jewel is not formed out of ordinary people.
Sangha means the holy teachers who nearly achieved buddhahood. Not even every nun or monk is part of the Sangha Jewel. Depends on their state of mind.
An open internet place cannot be a real sangha. How should it be possible?
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
Ayu

Postby Karma Tashi G. » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Ayu wrote:A jewel is not formed out of ordinary people.
Sangha means the holy teachers who nearly achieved buddhahood. Not even every nun or monk is part of the Sangha Jewel. Depends on their state of mind.
An open internet place cannot be a real sangha. How should it be possible?

that is what I need to ask! Is the householder lineages a Sangha? I think Sangha Jewel to me is now all beings who take refuge in the Buddha all beings who sincerely form the thought of enlightenment for the welfare of all beings! All beings who break into tears when they meet their root teacher or when they think of suffering of the myriad beings, and all who dedicate all their merits for the benefit of others! Sangha is those who leave home to follow the Buddha! But I am very liberal in my use of terms!

:namaste:

སངས་རྒྱས་ཆོས་དང་ཚོགས་ཀྱི་མཆོག་རྣམས་ལ།

KTG
Karma Tashi G.

Postby kirtu » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:16 pm

Karma Tashi G. wrote:Is the householder lineages a Sangha?

The Arya (Noble) Sangha is composed of all beings, ordained or not, who are on the bhumis. Even so we generally say all people who are on the bhumis as well as Arhats and Arya Bodhisattvas who are on the bhumis.

However we cannot tell who is on the bhumis or not. So conventionally we talk about the ordained as comprising the sangha because they are representatives of Shakyamuni Buddha. But esp. if you are Nyingma (as well as various Kagyu although this can be true of individuals from other lineages as well) then you generally hold the so-called white sangha, ngakpas, as part of this sangha as well.

Or you can also mean any group of practitioners, like the people you practice with.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Ayu » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:34 pm

I know certain lay people whom I consider to be Bodhisattvas. And one or two ordained people who I know, I guess they still need some time to reach a Bodhisattva bhumi.

But in the internet anybody can edit and polish his postings until they have the smell of holiness - and when he finished writing he relaxes with some cigarrs and wodka and shouts at his wife... Nobody can see it. :tongue:
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
Ayu

Postby muni » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:50 pm

We cheat ourselves the most. :namaste:

Since talking of holy ones, it reminds me on how I started to grasp to the awaken ones or those appearing as awaken and inspire to awaken. No doubt in that but I also started to grasp to ordinary ones or those not inspiring for awakening. The wheel could turn: aversion-attachment or the nectar of hidden suffering. Oh glory haleluya!

First, as far as i understand, our mind discerns an awaken one and trust, but then if we remain holding on the awaken one and the not awaken ones, it is a problem.
As once was me told that compassion and devotion is not different, it is exactly the same selfless love. Oh yes. Sigh. It is the love for/from the awaken one which expanse, turning in love with everyone and everything. ( or something like this expression)

Now lets take a cigar! But I don't smoke.

Dharma wheel is internet-emptiness, emptiness-internet. Sanghas can appear safe with cosy socks and warm cups of tea while the diversity and its equality we push away, far away when that very Sangha is not expanding. Sangha is all.
Buddha-Dharma-Sangha= not things apart.
muni

Return to Open Dharma