Art I am working on now

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
reddust

Art I am working on now

Post by reddust »

My husband found a photo taken of a Peigan or Piegan Blackfoot maiden taken a hundred years ago. The photo is called Water Spirit. He asked if I would paint this lady because she reminded him of me. My Great Grandma was from the Blackfoot tribes. We don't know anything about her or her family, where she came from. I didn't get to meet her, all I know about her is what my Grandpa told my Mom. So when I paint from a photo of faded tones of sepia turning them into rainbows of color I am also saying hello to my GGrandma, I hope you are doing well. I wish I could of known you, Please whisper your secrets in my ear. I promise I will listen.

This has been one of the most difficult paintings I've done so far, I don't k
Peigan20.jpg
now what the colors should be so I am just guessing after trying to research what traditional colors where used in native clothing.
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Art I am working on now

Post by Grigoris »

That's beautiful! Feels like a real heart felt tribute to your great grandmother. I wouldn't worry about what the "correct" colours are, the feeling the picture evokes is much more important.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
reddust

Post by reddust »

Sherab Dorje wrote:That's beautiful! Feels like a real heart felt tribute to your great grandmother. I wouldn't worry about what the "correct" colours are, the feeling the picture evokes is much more important.
That's what it feels like to me too, I get all teary eyed if I think about this too much. I think this is why it's been so hard to work on besides the fact I am not very good at painting water. It's really hard to paint without a color guide! Thank you so much :hug:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
reddust

Post by reddust »

This last early summer of 2013 I was working out in the back garden that is up against a briar patch and a ditch which is a drain for a neighbors pond. I would hear this deep booming croak from a giant bull frog. Every morning and evening this guy would boom out his call. So I called to him, "hey you, Mr Bullfrog, come and visit me please." I read in old myth if a frog comes and visits you, it is a sign of high adventure, the hero's adventure.

I forgot about calling the old bullfrog and a couple of days later my husband comes running into the kitchen and tells me I have to see something. We walked, no ran out to the back garden. Next to a rabbit run, that goes under the thick barbed covered blackberry bushes, out in the open sat a huge bullfrog. He didn't move, his golden eye staring straight at me as I bent down to look and see if he was injured or sick. No sores, fungus, membranes were clear, so I picked him up and he didn't struggle, sat in my hand and kept staring. I didn't know this at the time but I shouldn't of handled the frog bare handed, human pH is different from the frogs and I could of hurt him. So we sat, my husband and I and the bullfrog for at least 5 minutes. I put the frog down and went back to my chores. I've always loved frogs since I was a kid and I love painting them. I thanked Mr Bullfrog for the visit and I wonder if I'm now going to go on a hero's adventure like Joseph Campbell talks about?
My prince.jpg
This painting was a gift to my #1 Grandson who adores frogs as much as I do!
frogpainting.jpg
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Beautiful paintings! Do you do Buddhist-themed paintings too?

I like all art, but my favorites are Buddhist-themed; thangkas, statues, architecture, etc.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Beautiful work.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
reddust

Post by reddust »

David N. Snyder wrote:Beautiful paintings! Do you do Buddhist-themed paintings too?

I like all art, but my favorites are Buddhist-themed; thangkas, statues, architecture, etc.
Thank you David.
Buddha.jpg
I had a Tibetan Thangka Master help me with Gotama Buddha. I went to a class so I could paint Buddha using correct geometric grid and numbers, colors.

This child holding a bodhi tree leaf is religious and more comfortable for me David.
Bodhileaf.jpg
Johnny Dangerous wrote:Beautiful work.
Thank you Johnny, being a Mother and working I had no time to really practice my art. Now I have plenty of time and need more discipline…going off the net now…hahaha
greentara

Post by greentara »

reddust, Beautiful painting of the Indian woman....the pebbles, the beautiful shawl, the pensive look. Lovely!
reddust

Post by reddust »

greentara wrote:reddust, Beautiful painting of the Indian woman....the pebbles, the beautiful shawl, the pensive look. Lovely!
Thank you Greentara, I am so nervous about this painting. I've been sick with the flu and prior to that taking care of my grandson who gifted me the virus. I am starting back to work on her tomorrow. Say a prayer for courage please :namaste:
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

Sawaddee Ka..Reddust,

Wow, I love your water-color paintings...beautiful indeed!!

tidathep :twothumbsup:
reddust

Post by reddust »

tidathep wrote:Sawaddee Ka..Reddust,

Wow, I love your water-color paintings...beautiful indeed!!

tidathep :twothumbsup:
Thank you Kindly Tedathep. I want to finish her before this December. I've been working on her through the spring and stopped while working in the gardens and harvest season. Started up a couple weeks ago. I am going to finish her before she starts driving me crazy! I don't like to let projects go on for months and months. I won't start anymore paintings until I finish her and I have several paintings that want to be born.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Nice Buddhist paintings too. :thumbsup:
reddust

Post by reddust »

David N. Snyder wrote:Nice Buddhist paintings too. :thumbsup:
Thank you David,

My next series will be about the visions and dreams I've had all related to my Dharma practice. I've been pondering what style I should do them in, I really love Tibetan stylized methods. I feel unworthy to paint Buddhas and other Buddhist figures, but the symbols I feel comfortable with. That's why I went to a teacher to learn how to properly draw out the scared geometrical grids that underly all the old Buddhist artwork, in fact most ancient art is structured over sacred geometrical grids. Fascinating history of religious art and sacred numbers that I've researched and taken to heart. I have a lot of thoughts on this but it's really hard to put into words related to artwork now-in-days :heart:
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

Sawaddee Ka....Reddust,

In Thailand, chakrabhand posayakrit[อาจารย์จักรพันธ์ โปษยกฤต ] is 1 of the best painters....they say that whenever he starts to paint...some super rich people will try to buy his painting rightaway.....Oh I so love all of his paintings :heart:

tidathep
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

reddust wrote:My husband found a photo taken of a Peigan or Piegan Blackfoot maiden taken a hundred years ago. The photo is called Water Spirit. He asked if I would paint this lady because she reminded him of me. My Great Grandma was from the Blackfoot tribes. We don't know anything about her or her family, where she came from. I didn't get to meet her, all I know about her is what my Grandpa told my Mom. So when I paint from a photo of faded tones of sepia turning them into rainbows of color I am also saying hello to my GGrandma, I hope you are doing well. I wish I could of known you, Please whisper your secrets in my ear. I promise I will listen.

This has been one of the most difficult paintings I've done so far, I don't k
Peigan20.jpg
now what the colors should be so I am just guessing after trying to research what traditional colors where used in native clothing.
Lively and finessed. Beautiful.

:namaste:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

tidathep wrote:Sawaddee Ka....Reddust,

In Thailand, chakrabhand posayakrit[อาจารย์จักรพันธ์ โปษยกฤต ] is 1 of the best painters....they say that whenever he starts to paint...some super rich people will try to buy his painting rightaway.....Oh I so love all of his paintings :heart:

tidathep
Ghastly kitsch.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
reddust

Post by reddust »

Simon E. wrote: Lively and finessed. Beautiful.

:namaste:
Thank you Simon, Water Spirit is finished and I am still struggling with water. Very difficult to paint. I've decided to continue working on water for that reason. My next painting will also be full of water and reflection. I don't mind serious critiques by the way. I've been painting and selling bits of work since I was six years old. I get my work picked apart regularly by my kids who all draw and paint as well. It's a family talent.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Reddust, your Buddha painting looks feminine :) :heart:
It’s eye blinking.
reddust

Post by reddust »

LastLegend wrote:Reddust, your Buddha painting looks feminine :) :heart:
hahaha, Buddha needs a bro bra…I know a little too much shadow and there is a cleavage :tongue: I get what you're saying though :heart:
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

reddust wrote:
LastLegend wrote:Reddust, your Buddha painting looks feminine :) :heart:
hahaha, Buddha needs a bro bra…I know a little too much shadow and there is a cleavage :tongue: I get what you're saying though :heart:
Oh I forgot women can become Buddha too :heart:
It’s eye blinking.

Return to “Media”