YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

simplistic but still complete explanation of dhamma? - Dhamma Wheel

simplistic but still complete explanation of dhamma?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
johnny

simplistic but still complete explanation of dhamma?

Postby johnny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:25 pm

EDIT

sorry guys! i clearly worded this poorly. i'm looking for something one could give too a non buddhist or someone new too buddhism, and they could for the most part use it too begin practicing. a really sparse example is the SN 45.8, a two page exposition on the eightfold path. just enough too practice, maybe with a little commentary added. or a bigger one is the satipatthana sutta, lots of practical instructions and some morality rules. or an almost totally complete teaching (not all inclusive obviously, nothing is except the entire canon and surrounding works) like "in the buddha's words" by bhikkhu bodhi or "the heart of buddhist meditation" by nyanaponika thera.

the dhamma is extremely large, so what is a compact way to learn and start practicing?

like a book or sutta or a step by step guide made by yourself. the bare necessities, but enough to get someone started in practice.

the more bare, the more interesting, however still reasonable for a beginner too be able too practice and learn the foundation.

so one sentence is not really going too do it. again, totally my fault for not wording the op very well, sorry for confusion.

and the coolest thing would be something very compact that could get you from step one, all the way too the end.

END EDIT

the dhamma is VAST, without a doubt it is a veritable sea. the tipitaka alone is huge, and if you start thinking about the commentaries and works by dhamma writers it gets even more massive.

it can be hard too take it all in.

what is the most simple and compact explanation and practice regimen you can think of?

i don't necessarily mean one that already exists. if you can summarize it yourself that would be great, or if you know of a pamphlet or book or anything really that is a good summary i'd be inerested too hear it.

i would say "the heart of buddhist meditation" by nyanaponika thera, although i would add a few more pages too explain jhana. but it is a very complete practice manual and is very small.

i have also noticed that certain suttas seem too present complete practices. like the anapanasati sutta for example seems too imply that it can take one from step one, all the way too nibbana, fulfilling the four foundations of mindfulness and everything. although this may be a bit of an exaggeration.
Last edited by johnny on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The time would not pass. Somebody was playing with the clocks, and not only the electronic clocks but the wind-up kind too. The second hand on my watch would twitch once, and a year would pass, and then it would twitch again.
There was nothing I could do about it. As an Earthling I had to believe whatever clocks said -and calendars.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

reflection

Re: what would be the most simplistic explanation and practice?

Postby reflection » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:33 pm

Be attentive to the mind.

befriend

Postby befriend » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:41 pm

keep making merit so you can be in a position to help others and help yourself.
nothing can destroy a man who has lived a pure life

johnny

Postby johnny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:57 pm

Last edited by johnny on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The time would not pass. Somebody was playing with the clocks, and not only the electronic clocks but the wind-up kind too. The second hand on my watch would twitch once, and a year would pass, and then it would twitch again.
There was nothing I could do about it. As an Earthling I had to believe whatever clocks said -and calendars.”

johnny

Postby johnny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:57 pm

Slava

Postby Slava » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:06 pm

Observe without judging

johnny

Postby johnny » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:09 pm

bodom

Postby bodom » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:12 pm

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

m0rl0ck

Re: simplistic but still complete explanation of dhamma?

Postby m0rl0ck » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:19 pm

“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

LonesomeYogurt

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:16 pm

To do no evil,
To cultivate good,
To purify one's mind -
This is the teaching of the Buddhas.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

bodom

Postby bodom » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:18 pm

The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8982

:anjali:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:34 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

reflection

Postby reflection » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:47 pm

It really depends on the person. With some person who has never been into Buddhism before, you can just start to talk about how life is suffering, and the four noble truths. They will have a first intuitive understanding immeditately.

To others this is way to hardcore and they will be put off by all this 'negativity' of suffering. You'd be more succesful learning them something by taking another approach.

The same with books. One book appeals to one, while another one doesn't. So I can't really suggest one book that's the best. Must also admit I'm not an avid reader, so maybe there is an absolute pearl out there that I missed.

But anyway, "Buddhism Plain and Simple" is perhaps quite a good starter.

johnny

Postby johnny » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:47 pm

johnny

Postby johnny » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:47 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:14 pm

http://www.goodquestiongoodanswer.net/

Dukkha
Samudaya
Nirodha
Magga

reflection

Postby reflection » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:58 pm

johnny

Postby johnny » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:55 am

Way~Farer

Postby Way~Farer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:21 am

The reason the literature is vast, is because after 2,500 years of tradition and practice, writings have been generated and compiled over many lifetimes by thousands of people. But you might only need to concentrate on one phrase, or one text, or one idea. What goes on in the verbal mind - the part of your mind that reads and reflects - is only a small part of your total being. You can only get insight into the totality of being through sitting meditation.

johnny

Postby johnny » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:39 am

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”