The Bodhisattva Vows

General forum on Mahayana.

Re: The Bodhisattva Vows

Postby futerko » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:34 pm

Tsongkhapafan wrote:
futerko wrote:
Maybe I've misunderstood, but you seem to be saying here that negating self-cherishing is somehow superior to generating bodhicitta.
You also seem to be saying that bodhicitta is somehow not adequate to practising the paramitas. This doesn't make sense to me.

It is impossible to generate bodhichitta without subduing self-cherishing because selfishness is the main obstacle to developing that mind. Subduing self-cherishing is not superior to generating bodhichitta but, along with improving love and compassion, it is the practical method for generating it.

Generating bodhichitta alone is not enough to attain enlightenment - we must also practise the six perfections. Bodhichitta enables us to enter the path to enlightenment but the actual path is the practice of the six perfections. The actual sequence is to generate aspiring bodhichitta, to take the bodhisattva vow which transforms our aspiring bodhichitta into engaging bodhichitta, and then to practise the six perfections as the actual path to enlightenment.

Maybe the question I should be asking is, what better method is there for subduing self-cherishing, improving love and compassion, and practicing the paramitas, than generating and applying bodhicitta?
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
futerko

Re: The Bodhisattva Vows

Postby Tsongkhapafan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:45 am

futerko wrote:
Maybe the question I should be asking is, what better method is there for subduing self-cherishing, improving love and compassion, and practicing the paramitas, than generating and applying bodhicitta?

It's a good point, but I tend to see it the other way around. Subduing self-cherishing and improving love and compassion are the actual causes of bodhichitta. The strength of bodhichitta is directly proportional to the strength of great compassion. It's also true that bodhichitta is what makes the six perfections 'perfections' - I guess the stronger the bodhichitta, the more powerful the practice of the six perfections, which also functions to improve our bodhichitta; they help each other.

I like your Avatar of the Venerable Lady :smile:
Tsongkhapafan

Previous

Return to Mahāyāna Buddhism