Was Nichiren Enlightened?

Was Nichiren Enlightened?

Postby Namu Butsu » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:14 am

I am sure Nichiren Buddhist believe that Nichiren is enlightened, but is there any letters of his where he speaks of his enlightenment? From what I read I know he doubted if he was expounding the Lotus Sutra, because he was not protected until he had his vision. So was he already enlightened before his doubts or did he eventually become enlightened? Or has he yet to be enlightened. I would love to see some of his letters on this subject.
"Just say the nembutsu and be liberated" Shinran Shonin
"However hard it may be to bid farewell to this world, when the conditions that bind us to this saha [samsara] realm run out, we are powerless to do anything as the final hour arrives and we are swept away to that Land." -A Record in Lament of Divergences
Namu Butsu

Re: Was Nichiren Enlightened?

Postby Aemilius » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:25 pm

You would do well by reading the Lotus Sutra itself. The subject of enlightenment is redefined it this magnificent sutra. Lotus Sutra takes away the earlier small vehicle version of the enlightenment, and says that every one has to attain the complete awakening of a samyak-sambuddha. Your question is not really valid, if you mean the standard Sravakayana enlightenment.
svaha
Aemilius

Postby emulations » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:05 pm

He writes in one of his goshos that he vows to attain Buddhahood. Depending on the sect, Nichiren is considered a bodhittsatva or the Eternal Buddha of the Latter Days.
emulations

Postby Aemilius » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:27 pm

In Nichiren there is the same issue as in chinese, tibetan and indian buddhism namely: 1. Do the Buddha qualities develop gradually through the practice of the bodhisattva path? or 2. Do they exist primordially?
Nichiren takes the second alternative, because in the first case Buddha would not be eternally enlightened, which is emphasized in Nichiren. And the buddha qualities would be caused, which is also contradictory, because buddhahood is transcendent and uncaused.
This leads to the question: How could "enlightenment" take place, if it is uncaused and eternal?
svaha
Aemilius

Postby dude » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Namu Butsu wrote:I am sure Nichiren Buddhist believe that Nichiren is enlightened, but is there any letters of his where he speaks of his enlightenment? From what I read I know he doubted if he was expounding the Lotus Sutra, because he was not protected until he had his vision. So was he already enlightened before his doubts or did he eventually become enlightened? Or has he yet to be enlightened. I would love to see some of his letters on this subject.

"No matter how much one may hate Nichiren, one cannot doubt his enlightenment."
"A person named Nichiren was beheaded at Tatsunokuchi, his soul having reached Sado Island."
"My teachings before the Tatsunokuchi persecution should be regarded as the Buddha's provisional teachings, while the teachings since should be regarded as the Lotus Sutra."

-from the writings of Nichiren Daishonin
dude

Postby dude » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:00 pm

emulations wrote:He writes in one of his goshos that he vows to attain Buddhahood. Depending on the sect, Nichiren is considered a bodhittsatva or the Eternal Buddha of the Latter Days.

Shakyamuni studied under the teachers of his day before he attained enlightenment. Even after he started teaching, he did not reveal that he had already attained enlightenment in a past life until the Lotus Sutra.
Nichiren's course was likewise.
dude

Return to Nichiren