Garchen giving Ratna Lingpa's Vajrakilaya

Palzang Jangchub

Garchen giving Ratna Lingpa's Vajrakilaya

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Vajrakilaya arguably being the most widely practiced yidam throughout the Nyingma school, this seemed appropriate to discuss here.

Btw, does anyone happen to know what the Nyingmapa stance is regarding which buddha family Vajrakilaya? Various sources refer to him as part of the Vajra family under Buddha Akshobya, or as part of the Karma family under Buddha Amoghasiddhi. Is he more one than the other, or both... Or is this one of those things that depends on which Tantra we're looking at and which lama we're asking?

Anyway, Garchen Rinpoche will be bestowing the empowerment of Vajrakilaya (a.k.a. Dorjé Phurba) according to the lineage of Ratna Lingpa. This is the only form I've known him to give the wang for, so I can only guess that this is the main form used by the Drikung Kagyu order. Garchen is also a great Dzogchen master, having studied and practiced under his guru, Khenpo Munsel, for nearly 20 years while imprisoned by the Communist Chinese.

For those with a connection to Garchen Rinpoche, Ratna Lingpa, and/or Dorjé Phurba, or those who would like to establish such bonds, this is a chance to do so with full permission to receive authentic blessing over the internet from a living Bodhisattva.

The Garchen Institute wrote:Hello Everyone,

We are happy to announce the following streamingschedule for the upcoming Vajrakilaya Teachings, Empowerment, and Drubchen.

To join us via streaming go to the following web link (please note that the streaming window will be black until the streaming starts): http://www.ustream.tv/channel/vajrakila ... hings-2013

Streaming Schedule (Mountain Standard Time):

November 16 (NEW TIME: 10:00 am – noon; no breaks): Vajrakilaya Teachings

November 16 (2-5 pm; possible break, but time unknown): Vajrakilaya Empowerment

November 17 (9am – noon; break from 10:30 - 11): Vajrakilaya Teachings

November 17 (2-5 pm; break from 3:30 - 4): Vajrakilaya Teachings

November 18 (9am – noon; no breaks): First session of Vajrakilaya Drubchen

Please note that in order to provide the streaming at nocost, it will periodically be interrupted by ads. You will not miss anything, as the streaming will resume where it left off before each ad is shown. If you would like to view the streaming without ads you can subscribe to Ustream, and the instructions are provided at the end of this message.

The streaming will not be moderated in order to keep maximum streaming bandwidth available. If atechnical issue arises, it will be addressed as soon as possible,and it won’t be necessary to message the center.

If you have questions about the practices or the texts, please send them to [email protected]. The practice text, “The Daily Practice of the Secret Attainment of the Unsurpassed Extremely Secret Vajrakilaya, called ‘The Essence of the Play of Concerned Activity’,” is available through the Garchen Institute webstore at the following link: http://www.garchen.net/GBI-Shop/index.p ... b633ddbf3d

May all be auspicious!

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
heart

Re: Garchen giving Ratna Lingpa's Vajrakilaya

Post by heart »

Garchen Rinpoche used to give an anuyoga Purbha from the Chokling Tersar the one from Ratna Lingpa that he is giving now is considered a very major Vajrakilaya terma. Vajrakilaya is of the vajra family at least in the sadhana I did many years because Aksobhya is sitting inside his topknot.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Thank you very, VERY much for the "heads up"!

To say that this is perfect timing (for me) would be an understatement!
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Palzang Jangchub

Thank you for the info, Magnus. I was sure that Ratna Lingpa's wasn't the only lineage he held, Rinpoche being such a great master and being Rimé thru and thru.

Do you know if what he gives now was perhaps in danger of going extinct, and thus Rinpoche began to propagate it? Or do you think perhaps this is the safest Kilaya sadhana for the Western students of his to practice?

This particular Ratna Lingpa sadhana seems to be one of the main Kilaya practices in the Palyul Nyingma lineage, too, from what I've seen.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

heart

Post by heart »

Karma Jinpa wrote:Do you know if what he gives now was perhaps in danger of going extinct, and thus Rinpoche began to propagate it? Or do you think perhaps this is the safest Kilaya sadhana for the Western students of his to practice?
I don't think this particular terma is in any danger of going extinct. I don't know what you mean with "safest", Vajrakilaya is not dangerous in any way, my guess is that there is a comfortable short sadhana that fit the mentallity of westeners in this cycle as well as a translation. I am sure there exist several sadhanas of various length in this cycle, there normally is.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

65 pages isnt really that short... but not too long either. takes an hour or so to do it.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote:
Karma Jinpa wrote:Do you know if what he gives now was perhaps in danger of going extinct, and thus Rinpoche began to propagate it? Or do you think perhaps this is the safest Kilaya sadhana for the Western students of his to practice?
I don't think this particular terma is in any danger of going extinct. I don't know what you mean with "safest", Vajrakilaya is not dangerous in any way, my guess is that there is a comfortable short sadhana that fit the mentallity of westeners in this cycle as well as a translation. I am sure there exist several sadhanas of various length in this cycle, there normally is.

/magnus

Usually people use the short Kilaya sadhana of Sangye Lingpa in conjunction with this tradition.
heart

Post by heart »

KonchokZoepa wrote:65 pages isnt really that short... but not too long either. takes an hour or so to do it.
Well, this one you can do in an half an hour when you are used to doing it, including protectors. http://www.scribd.com/doc/149130531/Puj ... tna-Lingpa

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote:
heart wrote:

/magnus

Usually people use the short Kilaya sadhana of Sangye Lingpa in conjunction with this tradition.
Ok thanks, you know of any translation?

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

heart wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

/magnus

/magnus
yeah, im interested in hearing if there is a shorter sadhana that is used in this tradition. would be nice to have a shorter sadhana alongside with the longer sadhana. would make it easier to practice daily.
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote:

/magnus
Sure, there is a translation used the Palyul folks. This is the main Kilaya tradition of Palyul.
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

do you know where you can buy or get the sadhana ?
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

Palzang Jangchub

Drikung centers (or those under the spiritual direction of Drupon Thinley Ningpo Rinpoche at least) have included pithy versions of the most frequently practiced yidam sadhanas) between the opening & closing prayers in their prayer booklets. These consist of a two line praise to the deity, the mantra, and then the wish that all beings without exception be established in the state of that particular buddha.

Surely there must be such a pith practice for Vajrakilaya using the same essence mantra as in the P'urpa Yangsang Lamé (phur pa yang gsang bla med) sadhana. I know that there are ones written for Chenrezig, Manjushri, Vajrapani, Green Tara, Medicine Buddha, Vajrasattva, and Amitayus...

I'll look into this :reading:

KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

let us/me know if you find a concise sadhana of vajrakilaya that fits into this cycle and lineage of Ratna Lingpa. of course translated into english :smile:

If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

lelopa

Post by lelopa »

heart wrote:Garchen Rinpoche used to give an anuyoga Purbha from the Chokling Tersar the one from Ratna Lingpa that he is giving now is considered a very major Vajrakilaya terma. Vajrakilaya is of the vajra family at least in the sadhana I did many years because Aksobhya is sitting inside his topknot.

/magnus
in my practice-text of RatLings Terma it is Amoghasiddhi

there are a few essential Phurpa-sadhanas fe:. Chokyur Lingpa (very short SangThig) Adzom Drugpa as given by ChNN, Ganor Rinpoche, Dudjom Lingpa, etc....
but in some others the main mantra is a little different
Lost In Transmission
heart

Post by heart »

lelopa wrote:
heart wrote:Garchen Rinpoche used to give an anuyoga Purbha from the Chokling Tersar the one from Ratna Lingpa that he is giving now is considered a very major Vajrakilaya terma. Vajrakilaya is of the vajra family at least in the sadhana I did many years because Aksobhya is sitting inside his topknot.

/magnus
in my practice-text of RatLings Terma it is Amoghasiddhi

there are a few essential Phurpa-sadhanas fe:. Chokyur Lingpa (very short SangThig) Adzom Drugpa as given by ChNN, Ganor Rinpoche, Dudjom Lingpa, etc....
but in some others the main mantra is a little different
Yes I see, well I guess both are correct. The visualization during the recitation in the ratling sadhana is also quite complicated it seems like. The sangthik purbha is a lot simpler, it is considered an ati sadhana. The one Erik translated is actually the root terma itself, there is an other slightly more elaborated version of the sadhana written by Chokgyur Lingpa's son Tsewang Drakpa also.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

ratna

Post by ratna »

BTW, there's an unpublished translation, by Ives Waldo, of an extensive commentary by Shechen Gyaltsab on Ratna Lingpa's Vajrakilaya. It used to be available (by e-mail request) on his site, http://www.mountaindev.com (now defunct).

R
heart

Post by heart »

ratna wrote:BTW, there's an unpublished translation, by Ives Waldo, of an extensive commentary by Shechen Gyaltsab on Ratna Lingpa's Vajrakilaya. It used to be available (by e-mail request) on his site, http://www.mountaindev.com (now defunct).

R
Thanks, I completely forgot about that, will try to track him down. I commentary would indeed be helpful.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

inform us if you find the commentary, i would be interested in it also.
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

Ratna, do you happen to have that commentary since you knew about the website ?
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

Return to “Nyingma”