The Book that Got You Hooked on Dharma

Recommend, review and discuss dharma books here.
Lindama

Re: The Book that Got You Hooked on Dharma

Post by Lindama »

oh yes, ran a close second: Crystal and the Way of Light by ChNNR
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
greentara

Post by greentara »

Simon E, Of course many books influenced me but Dharma Bums made me want to be a rucksack wanderer and fire spotter. I wanted to be out in the wilderness with a hand full of nuts, raisins and high hopes. It was pure escapism for me.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

greentara wrote:Simon E, Of course many books influenced me but Dharma Bums made me want to be a rucksack wanderer and fire spotter. I wanted to be out in the wilderness with a hand full of nuts, raisins and high hopes. It was pure escapism for me.
Me too..and I was living in a town in the south of England and used to sit in the nearby woods imagining wilderness. 8-)
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

Sawaddee Ka,

My most favorite book THAI TIPITAKA...I love love to read Dhammapada/Jataka stories....When I was very young, some monks at the temple told Dhammapada stories when I was with my mom...but the teacher at my girls school really sparked my interest about Dhammapada/jataka, might be because he gave me A all the time, and the school principle chose me to lead the prayer.

tidathep :reading:
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation Paperback
by Thich Nhat Hanh
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

It was the german translation of "Cultivating compassion" by Jeffrey Hopkins, german title: "Mitgefühl und Liebe".
All thoughts that i had about life I found compressed in this paper back book... Astonishing.
This brought me to say "I am buddhist."
futerko

Post by futerko »

What started the ball rolling for me were two T.V. programmes from the late 70's; Kung Fu with David Carradine to a lesser extent (I was only about 6), and then a couple of years later Monkey, based on the story "Journey to the West." I then chose Buddhism for religious studies class project.
Punya

Post by Punya »

My first book was Happiness Now which contained some Buddhist quotes. I found it while browsing at the library. This lead to more reading but Awakening the Buddha Within by Surya Das was the one that really laid out the core teachings and set me on this path. I've just lent my son The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying so I'm interested to see where that leads.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
ylee111

Post by ylee111 »

I was hooked not by a book but by a TV serial: CCTV's Journey to the West (1986).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO1DGsSh9yA
Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

I read a bunch but nothing clicked until The Secret of the Vajra World and The Crystal and the Way of Light. After that everything made sense. Before that it was like wearing sunglasses, glossing over "big" words and intellectual phrases with self contempt ( ie, I'm way too dumb to study Buddhism).

Now that I think of it, it was Bhagavan Das' book It's Here Now. Are You? that propelled me to delve into the dharma. Reading his experiences of Kalu Rinpoche, the 16th Karmapa, Dudjom Rinpoche, Dilgo Khyentse etc inspired me to take refuge.
practitioner

Post by practitioner »

The Joy of Living by the incomparable Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche was and still is my favorite dharma book.
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva

Return to “Book Reviews”