The Book that Got You Hooked on Dharma

Re: The Book that Got You Hooked on Dharma

Postby Lindama » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:17 pm

oh yes, ran a close second: Crystal and the Way of Light by ChNNR
Lindama

Postby greentara » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:28 am

Simon E, Of course many books influenced me but Dharma Bums made me want to be a rucksack wanderer and fire spotter. I wanted to be out in the wilderness with a hand full of nuts, raisins and high hopes. It was pure escapism for me.
greentara

Postby Simon E. » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:28 am

greentara wrote:Simon E, Of course many books influenced me but Dharma Bums made me want to be a rucksack wanderer and fire spotter. I wanted to be out in the wilderness with a hand full of nuts, raisins and high hopes. It was pure escapism for me.

Me too..and I was living in a town in the south of England and used to sit in the nearby woods imagining wilderness. 8-)
Simon E.

Postby tidathep » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Sawaddee Ka,

My most favorite book THAI TIPITAKA...I love love to read Dhammapada/Jataka stories....When I was very young, some monks at the temple told Dhammapada stories when I was with my mom...but the teacher at my girls school really sparked my interest about Dhammapada/jataka, might be because he gave me A all the time, and the school principle chose me to lead the prayer.

tidathep :reading:
tidathep

Postby Jesse » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:40 pm

The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation Paperback
by Thich Nhat Hanh
"We know nothing at all. All our knowledge is but the knowledge of schoolchildren. The real nature of things we shall never know." - Albert Einstein
Jesse

Postby Ayu » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:57 pm

It was the german translation of "Cultivating compassion" by Jeffrey Hopkins, german title: "Mitgefühl und Liebe".
All thoughts that i had about life I found compressed in this paper back book... Astonishing.
This brought me to say "I am buddhist."
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
Ayu

Postby futerko » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:37 pm

What started the ball rolling for me were two T.V. programmes from the late 70's; Kung Fu with David Carradine to a lesser extent (I was only about 6), and then a couple of years later Monkey, based on the story "Journey to the West." I then chose Buddhism for religious studies class project.
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
futerko

Postby Punya » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:21 pm

My first book was Happiness Now which contained some Buddhist quotes. I found it while browsing at the library. This lead to more reading but Awakening the Buddha Within by Surya Das was the one that really laid out the core teachings and set me on this path. I've just lent my son The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying so I'm interested to see where that leads.
Unless the inner forces of negative emotions are conquered
Strife with outer enemies will never end.
~Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Punya

Postby ylee111 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:29 am

I was hooked not by a book but by a TV serial: CCTV's Journey to the West (1986).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO1DGsSh9yA
ylee111

Postby Sherab Rigdrol » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:29 am

I read a bunch but nothing clicked until The Secret of the Vajra World and The Crystal and the Way of Light. After that everything made sense. Before that it was like wearing sunglasses, glossing over "big" words and intellectual phrases with self contempt ( ie, I'm way too dumb to study Buddhism).

Now that I think of it, it was Bhagavan Das' book It's Here Now. Are You? that propelled me to delve into the dharma. Reading his experiences of Kalu Rinpoche, the 16th Karmapa, Dudjom Rinpoche, Dilgo Khyentse etc inspired me to take refuge.
Sherab Rigdrol

Postby practitioner » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:44 am

The Joy of Living by the incomparable Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche was and still is my favorite dharma book.
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
practitioner

Previous

Return to Book Reviews