Significance of Dharmic Dreams

As Tantra often involves vows and samaya related to secret practice, this sub-forum has been created where Vajrayana practitioners can pose questions, and any of our members or staff can reply confidentially by PM.
Palzang Jangchub

Significance of Dharmic Dreams

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Posting this here to avoid a thread which would likely lead to a bunch of people revealing dreams which might diminish the blessings from them, as I've heard can happen.

Just wanted to know if there is any general consensus about how to treat dreams in which Dharma symbols (texts, statues, etc.) and lamas appear.

I've read everything from such dreams being a sign of accomplishment (like the dream signs listed in the benefits of doing the Jampal Mawa'i Sengé sadhana), to dreams being unreliable indicators as we are ordinary beings with obscurations and that it might even be a form of subtle ego-clinging. In between those have been some stories recounted to me. C.R. Lama, upon hearing that a student had a dream of visiting Amitabha's buddhafield of Sukhavati, apparently said, "Can you go there right now, while awake? Then pay it no mind."

Is this one of those topics which has such a variety of answers that one should simply ask one's root guru? I wouldn't want to bother my lama with something trivial.

Please note: I am not a practitioner of Dream Yoga, and thus the dreams I have experienced had nothing to do with the fruition of the Six Dharmas of Naropa or any conscious effort on my part. Quite sure I'm nowhere near ready to implement such teachings...

Thanks!

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

Return to “Buddhist Tantra Talk”