Pay no attention

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
insideout

Pay no attention

Post by insideout »

पय नो अत्तेन्तिओन् तो थे फ़ौल्त्स् ओफ़् ओथेर्स्; थिङ्ग्स दोने ओर् लेफ़्त् उन्दोने ब्य ओथेर्स्. चोन्सिदेर ओन्ल्य् व्हत् ब्य ओनेसेल्फ़् इस दोने ओर् लेफ़्त् उन्दोने.

Pay no attention to the faults of others; things done or left undone by others. Consider only what by oneself is done or left undone.

-Buddha
Last edited by insideout on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Anne
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Pay no attention

Post by Ayu »

So true. :smile: What is the source of this sentence?
insideout

Post by insideout »

Buddha. My apologies. I edited my post.
Ayu wrote:So true. :smile: What is the source of this sentence?
~Anne
lobster

Post by lobster »

Pay no attention to the faults of others; things done or left undone by others. Consider only what by oneself is done or left undone.
Do you think our faults are undone by lack of attention or reflection and discernment? What is a gal to do? :shrug:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

lobster wrote: Do you think our faults are undone by lack of attention or reflection and discernment? What is a gal to do? :shrug:
Whose faults? Am I better in changing your faults or in improving my own weaknesses?
It is a very common appearance:
the more the own problems are pressing, the easier it is to talk (endlessly) about the faults of other people.
If we would talk about "our" problems and faults, it would be great - but instead we talk about the problems of "them" (the others). Do you see the difference?
I observe it like this. It functions automatically.
For me this quote of the OP is very important and good to remember. :namaste:
insideout

Post by insideout »

As Ayu said, and I agree with, if we pay attention to the faults and actions of others, we will suffer. We (ourselves) keep doing what we are doing because it is right. Loving kindness, friendship. I must act in accordance with the 4 truths. It is I that makes the change.

Namaste
lobster wrote:
Do you think our faults are undone by lack of attention or reflection and discernment? What is a gal to do? :shrug:
~Anne
flowerbudh

Post by flowerbudh »

I think we can certainly learn from others faults (because really, they are ours!), but we should not condemn those imperfections in others, instead we should perfect them in ourselves.
Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without. - The Buddha
lobster

Post by lobster »

flowerbudh wrote:I think we can certainly learn from others faults (because really, they are ours!), but we should not condemn those imperfections in others, instead we should perfect them in ourselves.
Well said.

One of the reasons why discerning in others our own limitations is so important. Condemning, condemns us. Judging is a judgement on us.

As I said to Judge Dredd (aka Buddha) only this morning:
'Pass the popcorn, we are only watching over ourselves . . . ' :popcorn:

Attention to the discerning is now resumed :woohoo:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

lobster wrote:As I said to Judge Dredd (aka Buddha) only this morning
The Buddha as a gun wielding homocidal crypto-facist? Interesting use of imagery. :?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Dharma Stories”