Tattoos on the chakras

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Tattoos on the chakras

Postby Snovid » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:49 am

Is it a good idea to tattoo on the body
letters used in practice?

For example
ImageImage

http://www.aroencyclopaedia.org/shared/ ... 01_eng.php
http://www.aroencyclopaedia.org/shared/ ... 02_eng.php

Where on the body is best to do a tattoo of this symbol?
I am from Poland I use google translator I do not know English
Snovid

Re: Tattoos on the chakras

Postby dharmagoat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:57 am

Wear it on the inside.

:anjali:
May all beings be happy
dharmagoat

Postby ClearblueSky » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:26 pm

There's definitely some debate amongst Buddhists regarding Buddhist tattoos. Personally I think it's fine, though I might not get an actual Buddha tattooed on myself. But considering people often wear it in amulets and such, I think getting the right tattoos could be auspicious when done with the right intention.
ClearblueSky

Postby KonchokZoepa » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:31 pm

i personally think its a bad idea, or useless. its much better to visualize the hung in your mind than to actually tattoo it on your body. it just becomes a burden to carry and a cause of dissatisfaction and resentment in the long run. i can talk from some experience since i have a tattoo on my leg. i experienced those negative emotions and stuff for getting the tattoo but now im just indifferent and dont care about it anymore, its there. it didnt change anything about me or was not of any benefit whatsoever. and i think the buddhist teachings advice to let go of grasping and clinging and attaching some picture or symbol into your body goes against that teaching or advice from my perspective. from experience i can say that you will just get some more load to carry around with you. its a burden.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa

Postby dharmagoat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:11 pm

:good:
May all beings be happy
dharmagoat

Postby ClearblueSky » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:52 pm

KonchokZoepa brings up good points, remember though that even some monastic cultures incorporate tattoos largely as well. I think only you can know how it will affect you, just don't forget it's a big decision.
ClearblueSky

Postby asunthatneversets » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:32 am

I'm covered in tattoos, they're no big deal to me but probably depends on the individual. Not sure about the dharma symbols, I know the Japanese leave the central area of their torso (usually associated with the central channel) un-tattooed so their traditional tattoo body suits resemble a jacket. Whether that has to do with the chakras or not I'm not sure, but I'd imagine it does.
asunthatneversets

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:49 am

I always hear about people regretting their tatoos, I got mine between the ages of 18-20 and never regretted them, been nearly 20 years.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Alfredo » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:01 am

Certain chakras would be...painful to tattoo. I mean, moreso than usual.
(no longer participating on this board)
Alfredo

Postby asunthatneversets » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:04 am

I have a photo somewhere of a man who manifested a hung/hum symbol on his body strictly through practice and visualization. I'll post it when I can. It's obviously not a perfect hum symbol, but you can tell that's what it is.
asunthatneversets

Postby futerko » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:10 am

I try to not have any distinguishing features in case I'm caught behind enemy lines :spy:
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
futerko

Postby Snovid » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:28 am

I thought of protective symbols
amulets and talismans

For example

Liberation through touch
"The sheet should be placed directly on the skin being who dies or is just what she died. Card must be placed on the forehead or the chest, with printed mantras to bottom, so that touching the skin. According to the commentary immensely help to mitigate the fact by death, and in the course of obtaining the benefit of higher next rebirth."

https://fpmt.org/wp-content/uploads/tea ... tmlttr.pdf
I am from Poland I use google translator I do not know English
Snovid

Postby KonchokZoepa » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:30 am

in the teaching it says to visualize hung in all the openings except that of the crown to block all other passages so that the consciousness ejects itself through the crown. i find it a bit hard to tattoo a hung in your arse hole or something like that. i wouldnt mess with the bodily stuff with tattoos if you dont know what you are doing.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa

Postby ClearblueSky » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:42 am

asunthatneversets wrote:I'm covered in tattoos, they're no big deal to me but probably depends on the individual. Not sure about the dharma symbols, I know the Japanese leave the central area of their torso (usually associated with the central channel) un-tattooed so their traditional tattoo body suits resemble a jacket. Whether that has to do with the chakras or not I'm not sure, but I'd imagine it does.

That's actually because in Japan tattoos were (and to some degree still are) associated entirely with criminals and the Yakuza. They purposely only had the areas tattooed that would be covered by a shirt, and if I'm not mistaken that middle portion is open so tattoos would still be covered with an open robe. And speaking of Japanese tattoos, they've got lots of Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, and the hugely popular Fudo Myo in their tattoos, so you certainly wouldn't be the only one.
ClearblueSky

Return to Personal Experience