Recollection ability and meditation.

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Huseng
Former staff member

Recollection ability and meditation.

Post by Huseng »

Since last year I've noticed that as a result of meditation (or I'm assuming it is a result of that), my recollection ability has improved. I know that is a natural result of meditation and the further one goes the clearer the mind becomes.

One thing I've uncovered deep in the swamp which is my mental continuum are early childhood memories. I've been able to recall in fairly close detail toys, my car seat, taking a road trip and other things which I've confirmed as being actual memories. I e-mailed my mother asking for verification on whether or not I'm recalling actual events and things, and it turns out I'm on the mark.

Going further and further back I think I also have memories of being an infant.

The interesting thing, and perhaps the reason it is so difficult to recall that far back, is that there is no language when you're that young. As you get older everything becomes associated with words and language, so trying to recall memories not immediately associated with language and the categories it creates is difficult. But when you're just a baby there are no words, no abstract labels and fewer categories to distinguish.

Maybe that is why we generally don't recall infancy? The state of mind is so unlike what later develops so as to become so distant and difficult to relate to. Someone might suggest the brain isn't developed enough for long-term memory storage, but that doesn't jive with all the accounts we have of people recalling even as far back as being in the womb or even conception (and of course past lives).

At U of Virginia at the department Ian Stevenson worked in they have plenty of cases of children recalling prenatal events:

Prenatal and Birth Memories

Some young children report memories from before or during their birth. In the case of reported memories before birth, some describe being aware of events that occurred when they were in the womb, while others talk about events from another realm or heaven.

Occasionally, young children describe parts of their birth process that their parents say they were not told about. While current understandings of infant memory do not allow for such memories to be possible, some children describe them nonetheless.

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/in ... advice.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That last statement there really intrigues me.
Virgo

Re: Recollection ability and meditation.

Post by Virgo »

I don't know about pre-natal memories, but ghee also helps improve the mental clarity and recollection.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

How about curry made from ghee? :stirthepot:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Huseng wrote:How about curry made from ghee? :stirthepot:
Hi Huseng,

Sure, ghee can be used as an ingredient in many dishes. It has a sattvic quality.

Enjoy this wonderful article: http://www.amritaveda.com/learning/articles/ghee.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Om Ah Hung Vara Guru Padma Siddhi Hung

Kevin
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Or you could look up the Galloping Gourmet. Graham Kerr was mad about ghee, he called it "clarified butter".
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
spiritnoname

Post by spiritnoname »

I've deliberately and undeliberately remembered past things like this Huseng, and the oldest memories are like you say, a swamp haha. Also I had family verify memories. My senses have dulled so much since I was a child,... I remember my toys too and because of meditation in the past few months my memories have become very clear. I can still feel the ground underneath my child feet, my toys, I can see the sun coming through the windows and pet my dead pets haha.

The past half a year, most of my sensory stimulation has been of the mental kind, exploring my memories and investigating beautiful mental worlds.

I heard if you want to remember the past, you keep trying to remember earlier and earlier, also saying Manjushri's mantra.
spiritnoname

Post by spiritnoname »

God I don't want to be a little kid again. :(
mudra

Post by mudra »

spiritnoname wrote:God I don't want to be a little kid again. :(

LOL I ditto that! I get embarrassed just remembering things I did a few years ago...

Although I can't claim that this happened to me, but yes meditation is supposed to clarify the mind ( a bit like ghee) so it is natural that memory improves. I rejoice for you Huseng that you are getting these signs of results.

Return to “Meditation”