Climate Change: We're Doomed

Alleviating worldly suffering along the way.

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby padma norbu » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:16 pm

oushi wrote:Why should "many many Brits" be seen as a factor here? Why should I pick a fraction of his personality and judge it? I see a man that tries his best to do good things, by promoting self-inquiry, togetherness, peace, social activity, environment awareness etc. Now, I should see him as a jerk, because "many many Brits" don't like the way he speaks? Where's that at? Where is the deep meaning in it?
You demand it from others, but I have never seen it coming from you... No meaning, a lot of complaining and :stirthepot:


Don't you understand? "Everyone" across the pond sees Brand as a moron! Clearly that's why the Magazine, which is located here...

New Statesman
7th Floor
John Carpenter House
7 Carmelite Street
Blackfriars
EC4Y 0AN
United Kingdom

...chose to associate their brand with Brand.

How many pages have passed since Simon E. chimed in about Brand and hasn't said a bit about the article itself?

Simon E. wrote:A view has been postulated. I have responded. My opinion is no more and no less valid than yours...
Except that you said nothing whatsoever about the postulated view, but instead chose to play the ad hominem game and completely disregard the article altogether, as well as a CBS link I posted. So, from what I can gather, you said you don't believe global warming is man-made and that was the last you would say about it... until you came back to make fun of Russell Brand for a few pages and contribute nothing of value to the discussion at all. :thumbsup:
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
User avatar
padma norbu
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:10 am

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby Simon E. » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:20 pm

Padma Norbu. I put the lady down on the far side of the puddle.

As I said the floor is yours.
Simon E.
 
Posts: 2543
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby padma norbu » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Jikan wrote:Anyone have a counterargument to the position given in the OP ("We're Doomed"), or to the consensus among competent scientists Nemo described a page or two back?

rolling around in celebrity news, semantic arguments, and personal snubs is not only off-topic, but off-putting.


Just in case it got lost in the shuffle, I posted this link which had absolutely nothing to do with Russell Brand and Simon E. chose to discredit the article without any discussion of the content therein because it was published by New Statesman. I have no interest in debating about Russell Brand.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
User avatar
padma norbu
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:10 am

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby padma norbu » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:24 pm

Simon E. wrote:Padma Norbu. I put the lady down on the far side of the puddle.

As I said the floor is yours.


Thanks, I wouldn't mind hearing your opinion on the article itself or that of the CBS link I posted. Not sure why you came back to focus on Russell Brand after you said you weren't going to talk about the matter anymore. Of all the things to talk about if you bothered to come back to the thread...
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
User avatar
padma norbu
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:10 am

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby padma norbu » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:26 pm

padma norbu wrote:UN Panel Says It's "Extremely Likely" Climate Change Is Predominantly Man-Made
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57604926/


bump since it was lost to the Russell Brand discussion
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
User avatar
padma norbu
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:10 am

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby padma norbu » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:32 pm

PS - I would be all for a moderator deleting the last 2 pages of worthless Russell Brand discussion.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
User avatar
padma norbu
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:10 am

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby Kim O'Hara » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:29 pm

Jikan wrote:Anyone have a counterargument to the position given in the OP ("We're Doomed"), or to the consensus among competent scientists Nemo described a page or two back?

rolling around in celebrity news, semantic arguments, and personal snubs is not only off-topic, but off-putting.

My counterargument to the OP (and thread) position begins here: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6973&start=40#p137842 and continues for several pages.
It supports the consensus Nemo pointed to.

padma norbu wrote:I would be all for a moderator deleting the last 2 pages of worthless Russell Brand discussion.

Agreed!!

Simon, you have repeatedly avoided addressing the New Statesman article by being rude about the journal and anyone associated with it, and being rude to forum members. Please come up with a substantive argument or admit that you can't.

:namaste:
Kim
User avatar
Kim O'Hara
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:09 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby Simon E. » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:00 am

You are right. I should not have jumped into the thread. I am afraid that Russell Brand is a red rag to a bull due to his appalling bullying of an elderly man..basically for anyone who does not know the story he phoned an elderly actor late at night while on he Brand, was on air, and left the the bewildered and clearly upset man an ansafone message giving graphic details on his ( real ) seduction of the man's granddaughter.. this included singing a song that included the words ' she wasn't menstrual and it was consensual , and shouts of 'I frak her '..( unmodified by the forum's censorship )
For which he was sacked by the BBC. At first he apologised. A few months later he said said that ' he didn't give a frak.'
And it is a fact also that his pretensions outstrip his education.

But that does not excuse MY behaviour and I apologise. :emb: :focus:
Simon E.
 
Posts: 2543
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby Kim O'Hara » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:40 am

Thank you, Simon.

:namaste:
Kim
User avatar
Kim O'Hara
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:09 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby Kim O'Hara » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:59 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
padma norbu wrote:Anyone post this yet?
http://www.newstatesman.com/2013/10/science-says-revolt

New to me - and it's good!
Thanks, padma norbu.

It actually takes us right back to the OP of this thread. I still argue that we are not doomed unless we give up and are certainly doomed if we do give up but yes, the challenge is getting tougher by the day. As Naomi Klein says, our financial system will wreck the planet if we can't throw gravel in its gears so that is exactly what we need to do.

:jedi:
Kim

Okay ... taking a deep breath and starting over from this point ... I have just tracked down a more authoritative response to the scientific paper that Klein is talking about. It's from Joe Romm (who knows his energy policies - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_J._Romm) at Climate Progress: http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/12/09/1306051/agu-scientist-asks-is-earth-fked-surprising-answer-resistance-is-not-futile/
His title is his summary: "'AGU Scientist Asks, ‘Is Earth F**ked?’ Surprising Answer: Resistance is NOT Futile!"

:namaste:
Kim
User avatar
Kim O'Hara
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:09 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby Simon E. » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:09 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:Thank you, Simon.

:namaste:
Kim

Just to add one more line befire ( I promise ) leaving the thread..Brand's interviewer in that clip is called Jeremy Paxman.
He is one of the most feared and respected of Brit TV journalists..he makes politicians of all parties quake in their boots. This can easily be checked out.
He is not a warming sceptic..
He made it plain after the interview that he does not take Brand seriously, he thinks that he is merely an attention seeker, and he admitted that it showed during the interview, and that this was unprofessional..And of course Brand, who has an extremely keen ear for perceived slights..was livid.

I will now withdraw. :namaste:
Simon E.
 
Posts: 2543
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby greentara » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:57 pm

'Brand's interviewed by Jeremy Paxman' Ok I watched the clip. Yes Brand is manic but he's hit a nerve. He's in touch with peoples concerns and the fact that the population at large feels it's being ignored. I say Brand will have to be listened to and reckoned with.
Paxman may say hes trivial, lets wait and see.
greentara
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby padma norbu » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:22 pm

greentara wrote:'Brand's interviewed by Jeremy Paxman' Ok I watched the clip. Yes Brand is manic but he's hit a nerve. He's in touch with peoples concerns and the fact that the population at large feels it's being ignored. I say Brand will have to be listened to and reckoned with.
Paxman may say hes trivial, lets wait and see.

Funny thing about Paxman's questions is that every single question he asked were leading silly pro-establishmentarianism questions meant to undermine's Brand's character. And every response Brand gave showed Paxman's questions for exactly what they were without giving in an inch, not conceding to any of the pictures Paxman was trying to paint. And, at the end, Brand showed him to be a hypocrite. Paxman is on some ancestry show crying about the unfairness of grandmother of 100 years ago or whatever while smugly snickering about the concerns of the 99%er protestors across the globe as a bunch of foolish people who don't understand how the system works. The whole thing was plain as day and if you don't see it, you're simply on the wrong side of the generational divide. Since I'm almost 40, in my estimation that means you're pretty old in your thinking and the establishment has been snuggling you in its bosom your whole life.

Brand may have done idiotic things in his past and he may speak in a way you dislike, but those are hardly reasonable objections to the particulars of what he said in this interview or any of the work he may have done at New Statesman. If I can get past Cornel West and Al Sharpton's personalities and ways of speaking to admit when they have a fair point, I should certainly be able to do it in this Russell Brand interview in which case every point he made was completely right on and made on-the-spot under the stress of a smarmy interviewer attempting to make him look foolish with every leading question and every facial gesture he could possibly squeeze off.

BTW, if Paxon is such a great interview who makes men cower, why did he do such a terrible job with Brand? I guess Brand's responses were just that good.
Last edited by padma norbu on Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
User avatar
padma norbu
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:10 am

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby padma norbu » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Kim O'Hara wrote:
padma norbu wrote:Anyone post this yet?
http://www.newstatesman.com/2013/10/science-says-revolt

New to me - and it's good!
Thanks, padma norbu.

It actually takes us right back to the OP of this thread. I still argue that we are not doomed unless we give up and are certainly doomed if we do give up but yes, the challenge is getting tougher by the day. As Naomi Klein says, our financial system will wreck the planet if we can't throw gravel in its gears so that is exactly what we need to do.

:jedi:
Kim

Okay ... taking a deep breath and starting over from this point ... I have just tracked down a more authoritative response to the scientific paper that Klein is talking about. It's from Joe Romm (who knows his energy policies - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_J._Romm) at Climate Progress: http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/12/09/1306051/agu-scientist-asks-is-earth-fked-surprising-answer-resistance-is-not-futile/
His title is his summary: "'AGU Scientist Asks, ‘Is Earth F**ked?’ Surprising Answer: Resistance is NOT Futile!"

:namaste:
Kim


To be fair, in the New Statesman article does suggest there is a chance... it's just not very likely that people will do what is required in order for that chance to actually come about.

Personally, I'm sure that people will riot in the streets when it's far too late. By then, the kings of the future will be living the high life in their underground bunker cities with probably a slave class doing all the work for them.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
User avatar
padma norbu
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:10 am

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby Qing Tian » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:31 pm

So, the media (and all who are associated with it) are notorious for stoking fires.
And have a vested interest.
My opinion is that they court controversy.
Sinking at times to over-inflating truly worrying situations.
All in the name of making a quick buck.
Real reporting seems to be a thing of the past - if it ever existed at all.
And now we are left to deal with the panic-mongering.
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
User avatar
Qing Tian
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:18 pm

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby padma norbu » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:33 pm

Qing Tian wrote:So, the media (and all who are associated with it) are notorious for stoking fires.
And have a vested interest.
My opinion is that they court controversy.
Sinking at times to over-inflating truly worrying situations.
All in the name of making a quick buck.
Real reporting seems to be a thing of the past - if it ever existed at all.
And now we are left to deal with the panic-mongering.


Boy, that is
Really not that much
Of haiku
;)
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
User avatar
padma norbu
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:10 am

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby greentara » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:03 am

Upon reflection I found Paxman to be stuffy. Also not interested in Brand's sexual banter or his carrying around his past as a 'uber dude' heroin addict!
What interests me is his grasp that global problems are past the point of no return. Many countries fortunes have gone 'pear shaped' large sections of the population unemployed or under employed, with all the suffering that entails.
Also the first world nations, especially America trumpeting on about democracy has started to sound really hollow.
greentara
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby Kim O'Hara » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 am

greentara wrote:Upon reflection I found Paxman to be stuffy. Also not interested in Brand's sexual banter or his carrying around his past as a 'uber dude' heroin addict!
What interests me is his grasp that global problems are past the point of no return. Many countries fortunes have gone 'pear shaped' large sections of the population unemployed or under employed, with all the suffering that entails.
Also the first world nations, especially America trumpeting on about democracy has started to sound really hollow.


His grasp? His opinion, surely.
Yes, it will take some turning around. No, it isn't impossible.
Can we forget (pretty please?) Paxman/Brand and get back to Klein and what she was talking about, as per viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6973&start=480#p193751

:namaste:
Kim
User avatar
Kim O'Hara
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:09 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby futerko » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:26 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:
greentara wrote:Upon reflection I found Paxman to be stuffy. Also not interested in Brand's sexual banter or his carrying around his past as a 'uber dude' heroin addict!
What interests me is his grasp that global problems are past the point of no return. Many countries fortunes have gone 'pear shaped' large sections of the population unemployed or under employed, with all the suffering that entails.
Also the first world nations, especially America trumpeting on about democracy has started to sound really hollow.


His grasp? His opinion, surely.
Yes, it will take some turning around. No, it isn't impossible.
Can we forget (pretty please?) Paxman/Brand and get back to Klein and what she was talking about, as per viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6973&start=480#p193751

:namaste:
Kim


I suspect that the cry to "save the planet" is actually a cry to save the human race from its own stupidity. I'm sure the planet will survive long after we're gone.
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
User avatar
futerko
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:58 am

Re: Climate Change: We're Doomed

Postby Malcolm » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:15 pm

http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 12144
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

PreviousNext

Return to Engaged Buddhism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

>