YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

The Dhamma outside Buddhism.... - Dhamma Wheel

The Dhamma outside Buddhism....

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
ringo

The Dhamma outside Buddhism....

Postby ringo » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:19 am

Hi,

I want to share over here, two instances of what could possibly be parts the true Dhamma I have found outside of Buddhist texts. I find that the uncanny similarities have surprisingly gone unnoticed and that is why I am posting it here.

I came across an excerpt from Luke on the inside cover of some novel and as I read through I was astounded. Every second line seemed to be echoes from the Sutta Pitaka.

Excerpt from Luke 12, KJV

"And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life [develop and pursue the perception of death], what ye shall eat [develop and pursue the perception of loathsomeness of food]; neither for the body[develop and pursue the perception of unattractiveness of the body], what ye shall put on [develop and pursue the perception of distaste for every world and worldly embellishments]. The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raimentform is not self. Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?

*It is notable that the lines above cover most of the Sanna Sutta (http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html) including what seems to be a sort of anatta doctrine which is unique to the true Dhamma. While many philosophies offer definitions of a sublime or universal self and paths to realize them the Buddha puts aside 'self' and tells us what the self is not - and I think this is what is being done here.

The next line is what caught my eye and really blew my mind away:

'And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit? If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest?'

is exactly the same as

'If form were the self, it would be possible [to say] with regard to form, 'Let this form be thus. Let this form not be thus.' But precisely because form is not self, form lends itself to dis-ease. And it is not possible [to say] with regard to form, 'Let this form be thus. Let this form not be thus.'
(http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second instance: Kurt Godel - "My philosophical viewpoint

1. The world is rational.
2. Human reason can, in principle, be developed more highly (through certain techniques). [Conviction >> virtue >> happiness >> concentration >> knowledge]
3. There are systematic methods for the solution of all problems. [the n8p solves all problems]
4. There are other worlds and rational beings of a different and higher kind. [31 planes of existence]
5. The world in which we live is not the only one in which we shall live or have lived. ['there is no next world' is wrong view]
6. There is incomparably more knowable a priori that is currently known. [a handful of leaves]
7. The development of human thought since the Renaissance is thoroughly one-dimensional.
8. Reason in mankind will be developed in every direction.
9. Formal rights comprise a real science.
10. Materialism is false. [naama-ruupa]

11. The higher beings are connected to the others by analogy, not by composition.

["Then King Yama interrogates & interpellates & castigates the man regarding the first deva messenger: 'My good man, didn't you see the first deva messenger that has appeared among human beings?'

"'I didn't, lord,' he says.

Then King Yama says, 'My good man, didn't you see among human beings a tender baby boy lying prone in its own urine & excrement?'

"'I did, lord,' he says.] - http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

12. Concepts have an objective existence.
13. There is a scientific (exact) philosophy and theology, which deals with concepts of the highest abstractness; and this is also most highly fruitful for science.
14. Religions are, for the most part, bad — but religion is not.
(9.4.17)"
Source and further information:
http://kevincarmody.com/math/goedel.main.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is appealing here is that the scientific method (mathematical rigor) and religion are considered to be incompatible but the above 14 points are put forth by Kurt Godel is to mathematical logic what Einstein is to Physics. Interestingly it was Godel's mathematical rigor itself which lead him to conclusions such as these. He proved that there can exist truths which cannot be proven by logic, that all truths of the universe cannot be known etc. He also said that mankind was far from explaining theology with science and math.

Please let me know what you think,
Regards

daverupa

Re: The Dhamma outside Buddhism....

Postby daverupa » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:52 am

ringo

Postby ringo » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:17 pm

Is it not possible that the 'Father' being referred to is an impersonal entity, the laws of the Universe, the Dhamma, which does indeed have the power to cast one into hell unless stream entry is attained?

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:25 pm

Last edited by daverupa on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben

Postby Ben » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:28 pm

:goodpost:
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:29 pm

That sign isn't for my post, I don't think; heads up.

:heart:

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”