Law of vibration?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
tigerh98

Law of vibration?

Post by tigerh98 »

Is the law of vibration in buddhism?Is the law of vibration true accurate scientific?Click on the links and do a little research then reply?http://www.google.com/search?client=ms- ... P7Z_wtOKks
http://m.youtube.com/results?q=vibratio ... pScWaJi0Mk
justsit

Re: Law of vibration?

Post by justsit »

:popcorn:
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

i did not get into it cause i suspect that its a bunch of new age religious stuff.

In Physics. matter can be seen as a particle or when observed more closely it behaves as a wave length. this is the same energy but observed with different measures.

when i was into new age, the higher vibrations were always more positive emotions, love, joy , compassion. these were the high vibrations that you would try to accomplish. i guess it could be seen that matter or energy vibrates on different wavelength's and even though it is not particularly a buddhist view per se, i dont think that the view in buddhism is in controversy with that. its just a relative side and how you imagine the universe/reality to be/exist. but on the other hand it does not necessary have anything to do with the truth or the true nature of reality from buddhist perspective. if everything is vibration, and it can be seen to be indeed but with that you wont get anywhere. '' everything is vibration'' '' i am enmeshed in vibration'' '' what to do ? '' '' im still suffering ''. i would go crazy if i would just stay in the statement that everything is vibration. it doesnt have any inherent existence so its very irrelevant and not in that sense related with the true state of how things are.... some thoughts...
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
uan

Post by uan »

Tiger, instead of trying to take buzz words like "Law of Vibration" or "Law of Attraction" and asking if they fit into Buddhism, learn Buddhism.

Zen
Theravada
Mahayana
Tibetan Buddhism
etc.

Learn what Buddhism is. Start at the root of the tree, not some random leaf that blows by and asking, "is this leaf part of the tree that is Buddhism?" Go to a Library and check out a book. Start at page 1.

Or since you are pulling stuff off the Internet, go to Wikipedia and type in Buddhism. Wikipedia has a whole series on Buddhism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Buddhism

Start there. Page 1.

Don't start at random stuff floating by.

I know you like Kung Fu. There's a classic Kung Fu comedy - I can't remember the name of the film - about a young kid who goes to the Shaolin temple to learn Kung Fu. There are 32 levels/schools, each more advanced then the one before. Since he's in a hurry to learn, he decides to start at Level 32 because if he starts there, he'll have mastered Kung fu. Of course, humorously, it doesn't go well for him. Eventually he starts at the first level then ends up a master (iirc).

The quickest way to learn something is start at the beginning. As you progress, you begin to realize that you actually know a lot more than people who've been around for a long time but who never took the time to do that.
sukhamanveti

Post by sukhamanveti »

This is the first thing I read about this view, "The Law of vibration might not be as well known as the Law of Attraction. However - the Law of Vibration serves as the foundation for the Law of Attraction." Then I saw part of a video in which an individual proclaimed that you could control your "vibrations," making them "positive" or "negative," attracting to you something similar to your mood, and that whatever you picture in your mind will happen. This vague talk is neither science or Buddhism, although it is common in New Age circles. It is unsupported by sound evidence. It is easily shown to be false. Moods are not defined as "vibrations" in science. They are understood as electrochemical impulses in different parts of the brain. Part of this teaching is that whatever you fear or don't want to happen, you "attract" or "manifest." This is demonstrably false. For example, most of the fears of my youth turned out to be groundless. They never happened. Another part of this teaching is that how you think about yourself will determine what others will think of you. Again, this is demonstrably false. Your image of yourself does not always coincide with the perception that others have of you. If I decide that I'm a powerful bodybuilder and believe with all my might, it will convince no one. The idea that holding an image in my mind makes it come true is a variant of the old error that wishing makes it so. I tested this thoroughly as a child, long before this con existed, even imagining what I wanted and fantasizing about it, just as the Attraction types recommend these days. The world doesn't work this way. I can picture a bigger house all I want, but unless I take real action in the real world, I won't get one. Moreover, this is a way for con artists to make money off the gullible, as Jikan and Nemo pointed out in the other thread.
namo bhagavate śākyamunaye tathāgatāyārhate samyaksaṁbuddhāya | namaḥ sarvabuddhabodhisattvebhyaḥ ||

"Bodhisattva-mahāsattvas love all beings in the world equally, as if each were their only child..." Buddhāvataṃsakamahāvaipulya Sūtra
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

uan wrote:Tiger, instead of trying to take buzz words like "Law of Vibration" or "Law of Attraction" and asking if they fit into Buddhism, learn Buddhism.

Zen
Theravada
Mahayana
Tibetan Buddhism
etc.

Learn what Buddhism is. Start at the root of the tree, not some random leaf that blows by and asking, "is this leaf part of the tree that is Buddhism?" Go to a Library and check out a book. Start at page 1.

Or since you are pulling stuff off the Internet, go to Wikipedia and type in Buddhism. Wikipedia has a whole series on Buddhism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Buddhism

Start there. Page 1.

Don't start at random stuff floating by.

I know you like Kung Fu. There's a classic Kung Fu comedy - I can't remember the name of the film - about a young kid who goes to the Shaolin temple to learn Kung Fu. There are 32 levels/schools, each more advanced then the one before. Since he's in a hurry to learn, he decides to start at Level 32 because if he starts there, he'll have mastered Kung fu. Of course, humorously, it doesn't go well for him. Eventually he starts at the first level then ends up a master (iirc).

The quickest way to learn something is start at the beginning. As you progress, you begin to realize that you actually know a lot more than people who've been around for a long time but who never took the time to do that.
:good:
futerko

Post by futerko »

sukhamanveti wrote:It is unsupported by sound evidence.
No pun intended? :thinking:
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

tigerh98 wrote:Is the law of vibration in buddhism?Is the law of vibration true accurate scientific?Click on the links and do a little research then reply?http://www.google.com/search?client=ms- ... P7Z_wtOKks
From the article:" "like attracts like" (Law of Attraction) "

If this is always applicable, then like electric charges should attract other and like magnetic poles should attract each other. This clearly contravenes the laws of physics. So if the law of vibration is the basis for the law of attraction, then clearly the law of attraction cannot be based on science as the article would like you to think.

Socially, this law is also a little awkward. For example, if you like wealth, then you will attract any person or being who likes wealth, including robbers who will rob you of your wealth. Who knows, you might even attract some demons that like wealth as well and rob you of whatever wealth you may have.

If you follow Buddhism, then you will know that Buddhism teaches that only the merits that you have accumulated in this life and in your past lives will determine whether you get what you want.
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

Any time you see "Law of ______" language, the origin is likely to be from New Thought, an American Christian movement. A few New Thought people believed in reincarnation, hence the "Law of Karma" (on analogy of the "Law of Gravity"). The notion of metaphysical "vibrations" has a similar history, going through Swedenborg (who called them "tremulations") and (going by memory here) Kaishmir Shaivism? (where the operative term is spanda). Mme Blavatsky was probably acquainted with both. And then came the Beach Boys!
(no longer participating on this board)
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Ok uan i feel you 8).The law of vibrations is false? sorry guys im just trying learn somethings from science and want to see if it truely is from science
Qing Tian

Post by Qing Tian »

Bouncing around random 'science-y' websites is for dilettantes.

Education requires method.*

:reading:

*generally speaking
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

Tiger,
It appears that you have a wonderful exploration going on.... at this point, explore it all. If you are asking about laws of attraction and vibration, that's fine, and it's good information for you that your exploration goes beyond Buddhism. At this point the exploration is taking you beyond a specific tradition like Buddhism. I encourage you to look at everything and then see what calls you without question... perhaps it's best if you hold off making any final conclusion. I'd also suggest that you don't seek advice from Buddhists except about topics related to Buddhism. Explore and see where it takes you. Then you can rest in the path that is appropriate for you. It is entirely up to you, don't rush into anything. I am seeing that you ask and ask, which is wonderful, just ask people who can respond to specifics of each path. When you seek guidance and receive responses, you have a responsibility to deeply consider what is said and IF it can further your process... it's entirely up to you in the end, but you must take it in. You do NOT have to agree with anything, but you do have to take it in because you asked for it. You have received a lot of good offerings but I only see you asking more and more questions. This is a natural part of spiritual maturation until you slow down. Keep going, keep asking. And, learn to take it in and ask how might illumine your understanding, or not. It is up to you.

My observation is that it would be good for you to actually find out about the specifics about Buddhist practice and theory as well as any other tradition that interests you. You are young and there is plenty of time. Trust yourself and seek guidance if you need it.

Personally, I am not willing to continue spending time on this when no consideration has been given to my thoughts. You DO NOT have to agree, but I don't see that any of the good thoughts from all these people is not being taken in for your consideration. This is important if you are to mature spiritually.
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
uan

Post by uan »

Lindama wrote:Tiger,
It appears that you have a wonderful exploration going on.... at this point, explore it all. If you are asking about laws of attraction and vibration, that's fine, and it's good information for you that your exploration goes beyond Buddhism. At this point the exploration is taking you beyond a specific tradition like Buddhism. I encourage you to look at everything and then see what calls you without question... perhaps it's best if you hold off making any final conclusion. I'd also suggest that you don't seek advice from Buddhists except about topics related to Buddhism. Explore and see where it takes you. Then you can rest in the path that is appropriate for you. It is entirely up to you, don't rush into anything. I am seeing that you ask and ask, which is wonderful, just ask people who can respond to specifics of each path. When you seek guidance and receive responses, you have a responsibility to deeply consider what is said and IF it can further your process... it's entirely up to you in the end, but you must take it in. You do NOT have to agree with anything, but you do have to take it in because you asked for it. You have received a lot of good offerings but I only see you asking more and more questions. This is a natural part of spiritual maturation until you slow down. Keep going, keep asking. And, learn to take it in and ask how might illumine your understanding, or not. It is up to you.

My observation is that it would be good for you to actually find out about the specifics about Buddhist practice and theory as well as any other tradition that interests you. You are young and there is plenty of time. Trust yourself and seek guidance if you need it.

Personally, I am not willing to continue spending time on this when no consideration has been given to my thoughts. You DO NOT have to agree, but I don't see that any of the good thoughts from all these people is not being taken in for your consideration. This is important if you are to mature spiritually.
:good:
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Law of vibration = bs.
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

bs fertilizes the soil and makes it rich :woohoo:
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

The law of vibration and such is just another name for the power of positive thinking, a hardy perennial in American thought, The basis for its appeal is that most people live their lives in a fearful way, not taking advantages of the many opportunities that are out there. If they were more courageous, they would be more successful. The Buddhist approach is to live each day with gratitude. Gratitude is stronger than courage, because courage is often unstable. It can be tipped over and lost.

Its fashionable to tie spiritual ideas to science, which is why quasi-scientific terms like vibration are popular. The relationship between science and spirituality is difficult and can't be explained in a brief reply.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Jinzang wrote:The law of vibration and such is just another name for the power of positive thinking, a hardy perennial in American thought, The basis for its appeal is that most people live their lives in a fearful way, not taking advantages of the many opportunities that are out there. If they were more courageous, they would be more successful. The Buddhist approach is to live each day with gratitude. Gratitude is stronger than courage, because courage is often unstable. It can be tipped over and lost.

Its fashionable to tie spiritual ideas to science, which is why quasi-scientific terms like vibration are popular. The relationship between science and spirituality is difficult and can't be explained in a brief reply.
All true, all true, but/and a lot what are now ancient and wrinkly and orthodox Buddhists in the 60's first came through a slightly dodgy dharma-door marked 'good vibes'.. :smile:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

lol
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”