YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

The world is at war. What do you do? - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

The world is at war. What do you do?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: The world is at war. What do you do?

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:53 pm

santa100

Postby santa100 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Actually, the Rwandan Genocide happened in such horrific scale was because the world had looked away:

"Out of a population of 7.3 million people–84% of whom were Hutu, 15% Tutsi and 1% Twa–the official figures published by the Rwandan government estimated the number of victims of the genocide to be 1,174,000 in 100 days (10,000 murdered every day, 400 every hour, 7 every minute). It is estimated that about 300,000 Tutsi survived the genocide. Thousands of widows, many of whom were subjected to rape, are now HIV-positive. There were about 400,000 orphans and nearly 85,000 of them were forced to become heads of families."

In 2000, the UN explicitly declared its reaction to Rwanda a "failure". Then Secretary General Kofi Annan said of the event "The international community failed Rwanda and that must leave us always with a sense of bitter regret."

(ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwanda_genocide )

seeker242

Postby seeker242 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:48 pm

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:19 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Lampang

Postby Lampang » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:42 pm

Last edited by Lampang on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:01 am

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:05 am

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:27 am

Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:13 am

Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:17 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:10 pm

robertk

Postby robertk » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:03 am

For Hanzze.
Was Visakkha a seious Buddhist?
She became a sotapanna at age 7 and went on to have many many children and grandchidren. She was often praised by the Buddha.
She must have had sex though.

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:04 am

Robertk

I don't know her story, but there are many who left the path and one day return. Some may remember their youth. I don't think we can call it walking the right way (it's a matter of awareness). I guess the all times running around problem is the "is". We are not talking about a person, we are talking about action.
Although getting children generally does not mean that one is aside of the path. I don't know why she get them as well as I don't know why she married, and I don't know what was here karmic situation in that case.
But a would wonder if somebody reaching sotapanna (even a the first person, on the way to it), would be still attached in mundane sensual pleasure on a very low level. Such as watching fighting's, looking for where the party and the entertainment goes on, running after romantic and sexual relations...

We are very attached to persons and being as we always like to be somebody or to portray something. (Actually the root of suffering.) That is not the case and it would be wrong understood if it seem's like a personal judgment. We are talking about a way of actions, a way that leads to an aim. And that is what it is about. History is just something we can remember and learn and if we can compare it to an alternative, we might feel to put effort in changing our ways.

We all have done wrong or not so smart and I guess it's good if we get hints to do it better and that there a possibilities. Otherwise it will just end up in the next war, when we still think that their is a need to defend our self.

When we thing in a way of being that and that, we would act wrong. I am a soldier, i must kill. I am a father, I must kill. I am a poor, I must steal... That is what people generally think, but they don't must, it's simply their moment from moment choice, to flow along the stream of their past, even turn it on till it becomes a war.

I am that and than, is no excuse. I don't have the right effort yet, I am not ready yet, I do not see the benefit yet, would be a normal answer if you talk with people having grown up in a Buddhist background (still a kind of excuse, but with "respect" of what was taught and to keep other on the way if they are able to, not suggesting an imitation, the general "we are so poor" "that's the way it is" or "our kamma, we need to live with it").

(Note: the ways I use to express things do not catch right speech as it should be: lesser harmful or lesser misunderstandable: Well knowing but still ignorant, excuses and apologies on and on. No idea what to defend... maybe we take things simply to personal and forget to *smile*)
Just that! *smile*

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”