Reincarnation of a buddhist monk?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
tigerh98

Reincarnation of a buddhist monk?

Post by tigerh98 »

I have a feeling that i am a reincarnation of a buddhist monk.How do i find out if i really am?(IM NOT TRYING SAY IM SPECIAL)plz dont ask why i have this feeling its a long story
Last edited by tigerh98 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alfredo

Re: Reincarnation of a buddhist monk

Post by Alfredo »

In that case, there must be some reason why you were born into your present circumstances. Either you really slacked off as a monk (even tulkus can backslide!), or you felt you had some lessons to learn from the life you are now living. Anyway...here you are, so I guess it doesn't really matter what you were before. The better question is, what do you want to be in the future?
(no longer participating on this board)
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

tigerh98 wrote:I have a feeling that i am a reincarnation of a buddhist monk.How do i find out if i really am?(IM NOT TRYING SAY IM SPECIAL)plz dont ask why i have this feeling its a long story
You probably are, but don't worry about it, lots of people are reincarnations of monks, nuns, rice pickers, monkeys, lizards... you know... every kind of being...what counts now is that you get your knowledge no matter what you were/are. If you really want to know just ask the divination Lama, he'll probably let you know in one divination. I know someone he did identify as having been a Drikung monk in a past life when he did the mirror divination for them... this blew this person away... there were many details including what place he was associated with and what happened to a fellow monk friend... however, that person is not a monk now in this life, and I don't know if that knowledge (having been a monk in a past life) and it's acknowledgment (by the divination Lama) has a way of being "applied" to this life; although he could probably develop rather rapidly if he got back with Drikungpas. The answers he got were very detailed, and it certainly put that question to rest, but then he began raising many more questions.

:popcorn:
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
tigerh98

Re: Reincarnation of a buddhist monk?

Post by tigerh98 »

Well in the present im studying/mastering buddhism and science.The future for me is as a buddhist monk.I focus in the present moment 8)
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Don't need to know. What difference does it make?
It’s eye blinking.
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

Well, I have a strong feeling that I was Elvis in my previous life. How do *I* get recognized as a Rinpoche?

From Lama Dawa's website:
The suggested donations for email divinations is $25 US "per question". And as is the custom, those individuals that wish to make an additional offering may do so. Once your payment has been verified, your divination questions will be added to the schedule.
Hmmm, somebody seem to be unclear on the concept of "donation"! Is there some legal reason he couldn't call it a fee, or is he just too embarrassed?
(no longer participating on this board)
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Alfredo wrote:Well, I have a strong feeling that I was Elvis in my previous life. How do *I* get recognized as a Rinpoche?

The suggested donations for email divinations is $25 US "per question". And as is the custom, those individuals that wish to make an additional offering may do so. Once your payment has been verified, your divination questions will be added to the schedule.
Hmmm, somebody seem to be unclear on the concept of "donation"! Is there some legal reason he couldn't call it a fee, or is he just too embarrassed?
I don't think he writes the text for his website. I suggest avoiding being snide towards Vajra masters, even if they are not your own. It's bad etiquette especially on a Dharma forum.

If you couldn't afford the $25 I am sure you could offer less, but how many people using computers honestly couldn't afford $25, that really need a divination? I mean, the guy is psychic so he'd know if you were just being cheap anyway, and why would you want to do that? The fact is, it is important temdrel to make some kind of offering when requesting something from a Lama of his level. This is for our benefit, not theirs. It's also in our best interests to follow the advice of a divination done by a Lama of this caliber, and not to ignore it. So we should be committed to the whole enterprise, and not just requesting out of idle curiosity or without much confidence in the teacher, the yidam or the protector involved in the divination. The whole thing should be engaged in with devotion, faith, and a sincere need for insight --and ultimately with the intention of bodhicitta. . "Help me develop clarity about this situation or choice to better be of service to all sentient beings and ultimately release them from suffering." Or something like that. I believe cloudy motivation could cloud the results, depending on the question.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

tigerh98 wrote:I have a feeling that i am a reincarnation of a buddhist monk.How do i find out if i really am?(IM NOT TRYING SAY IM SPECIAL)plz dont ask why i have this feeling its a long story
Kalu R. was heard to say something like, "If you want to know what you were doing in your past life, look at your present circumstances. If you want to know your future circumstances, look at your present actions."

That's all there is to it. No more drama need be made of it.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

Alfredo wrote:Well, I have a strong feeling that I was Elvis in my previous life. How do *I* get recognized as a Rinpoche?

With Dharma services in general the word donation is often used, even when it's basically a fee. I think it's about both sides keeping a right view as in you thinking "I will donate this even if you're not charging" and the lama thinking "I will do this service even without charging like a normal job". But Lamas need to make money too, and people can be exploitative. $25 is actually very reasonable for a divination (I myself have received a divination from Lama Dawa).

And you very well may have been a monk, it's reasonable to think for someone discovering Dharma in this life. I understand it can maybe inspire faith to know something like that from a previous life, so if you're really curious, pursue it. But you may not get the answer you're looking for. Either way, just remember that whether you were or weren't a monk in your last life doesn't affect if you reach enlightenment in this one, only your practice does. Maybe it's better to think you were a murderer, so you practice even harder instead of easier. Just food for thought.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

smcj wrote:
Kalu R. was heard to say something like, "If you want to know what you were doing in your past life, look at your present circumstances. If you want to know your future circumstances, look at your present actions."

That's all there is to it. No more drama need be made of it.

That's more or less directly from the Dhammapada.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

How would knowing assist one's practice? Just curious about what people think.

Seems to me it could become a source of potential insight, but also potentially a huge obstacle in terms of pride/attachment.

Would it not be better to meet Lama Dawa in person for such a divination? It can be done long distance?
philji

Post by philji »

I don't think putting suggestions to tiger about divinations and fees for doing so is that healthy . He is a young lad of 15 I think trying to find his way, maybe more support and advice on how to practice the dharma would be better????
Tiger..have you considered an online course on Buddhism or a course such as Discovering Buddhism which I think is available on you tube...it covers all the essentials.....
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Lets say you are... then what?
Lets say you aren't.... then what?

If you are going to be a monk no matter what then it shouldn't matter either way.

Gassho,
Seishin
futerko

Post by futerko »

Alfredo wrote:From Lama Dawa's website:
I suspect it has something to do with charity status - meaning that it's technically "not for profit".
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Im just curious.If i am a reincarnation of a buddhist monk=happy If im not=happy.So it doesnt effect me either way
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Ridiculous question to ask. Even if you were, how would that benefit you right now?
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

I have a feeling that a lot of people on this forum were (including myself). But why does that matter? This life is the only one to be worried about right now.

If you really must know, email Lama Dawa.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
philji

Post by philji »

Padmasambhava said," if you want to look at your last life look at your current situation..if you want to know your future life...look at your current situation"

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”