The four mind turnings.

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

The four mind turnings.

Postby Glyn » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:05 am

Which texts, or other teachings and writings on the four mind turnings have you found most helpful? Or just helpful? Please post them here.
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
Glyn

Re: The four mind turnings.

Postby muni » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:13 pm

:namaste:

A teaching by Shechen Gyaltsap Gyurme Pema Namgyal, explained by Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche and his student.

It blow all obstacles away, at least so I thought. But I forgot the words of Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, warning for friends leading us away from Bodhichitta by ones own unstability of mind. And so mind started to chase after its tail, crying since it could not catch that nasty one. The four immeasurables turned into the four miserables.

Shechen Gyaltsap: "It has inflicted hundreds of tortures upon me.
Yet instead of resenting it,
I have put my trust in it and fallen under its power
Is there any catastrophe any delusion
worse than this?"

Shechen Gyaltsap: "Donning the armour of the four boundless ones
And rallying the armies of the six paramitas,
Today with the sharp weapons of emptiness and compassion,
I shall slay my foe!"

An example regarding the boundless ones was given as impartial compassion for those appearing as enemies- friends. Since the division of these two is only own minds' suffering (= the foe, thinking to be separate thing) and does not exist elswhere.
Then boundless love, boundless joy that all beings may be happy and have the causes for this, that their happiness may increase further and further and to apply these three in equanimity.

Shechen Gyaltsap:"The meaning, the primordial indivisibility of wisdom and skilful means, emptiness with compassion as its very essence, must be carried onto the path".
Last edited by muni on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muni

Postby philji » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:16 pm

Currently working on the Tara Triple Excellence program of Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche. The first part of this is the four mind changings, and the presentation of it was wonderful. It was relevant, thorough and paced well.
Really affected me strongly and I have received and studied this teaching many times over the years.
philji

Postby smcj » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:20 pm

Gompopa's "Jewel Ornament of Liberation" has a good one. Kalu R.'s "The Writings of Kalu R." i nothing but that basically. But in all honesty it's the Gelugpas that really go to town on it.
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Postby michaelb » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:46 pm

The Words of My Perfect Teacher covers them quite thoroughly.
michaelb

Postby Glyn » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:54 pm

michaelb wrote:The Words of My Perfect Teacher covers them quite thoroughly.

Yeah that was the main text when I was in monastic college, but I am curious for more personal and modern takes on them.
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
Glyn

Postby KonchokZoepa » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:38 pm

im sure that Jetsun Khandro Rinpoche's book '' this precious life '' is a great work. I believe this since i have seen her on youtube and is one of my favourite teachers in the internet.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa

Postby Glyn » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:50 pm

KonchokZoepa wrote:im sure that Jetsun Khandro Rinpoche's book '' this precious life '' is a great work. I believe this since i have seen her on youtube and is one of my favourite teachers in the internet.

She seems amazing. A former tutor of mine is now in charge of one of her places. Also everyone I know who has hosted her at their monasteries or centres have been very impressed.
Glyn

Postby michaelb » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Glyn wrote:
michaelb wrote:The Words of My Perfect Teacher covers them quite thoroughly.

Yeah that was the main text when I was in monastic college, but I am curious for more personal and modern takes on them.

Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche's LN ngondro commentary is probably more modern and personal. Long time since I read it. It used to be readily available on his website but I can't find it except in the archives now.
http://khyentsefoundation.org/2004/05/longchen-nyingtik-practice-manual-now-available/
michaelb

Postby michaelb » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:35 am

I just looked at my copy and realised DKR's ngondro commentary doesn't go into the four mind turnings, or whatever you want to call them. sorry.
michaelb

Postby conebeckham » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:51 pm

Taranatha's "Stages of the Path for the Three Types of Individuals"--his Lam Rim, published as "Essence of Ambrosia" is a nice presentation.

http://www.exoticindiaart.com/book/deta ... ns-IDL137/

Of course, I'm also quite fond of Gampopa's TharGyen and Paltrul's Kunzang Lamai Shalung, too...
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby Nemo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:18 pm

I think it should be added where you read them can be an important aspect of the texts. By the grave of a beloved, in a hospital or old folks home watching people die or in the high fashion district of you city amongst the most exclusive stores. Even a busy shopping mall can really force you to examine your life.
Nemo

Postby KonchokZoepa » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:20 pm

sounds like a good experiment although i wont do that.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa

Postby futerko » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:10 am

Glyn wrote:Which texts, or other teachings and writings on the four mind turnings have you found most helpful? Or just helpful? Please post them here.

I like the seven lojongs of the Chetsün Nyingthig, the first six of which are evolved from the four mind turnings. I find it very useful to see how they are able to cover so many aspects of the path over several yanas.
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
futerko

Postby Glyn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:47 am

Nemo wrote:I think it should be added where you read them can be an important aspect of the texts. By the grave of a beloved, in a hospital or old folks home watching people die or in the high fashion district of you city amongst the most exclusive stores. Even a busy shopping mall can really force you to examine your life.

This is very true. I always feel a deep sense of unease having to do rituals for people who have died, as this tends to involve bieng given red envelopes with money from relatives who think you have some sort of ability to help, but the reality of the situation is always good to have put directly in your face. I often try to visit churchyards, cremation ghats or hospices when I can as it's one of the rare times I remember that I will die soon and my next birth probably won't be as comfortable as this one.
Glyn

Return to Personal Experience