Divination- Sky shadow/light person

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
montana

Divination- Sky shadow/light person

Post by montana »

Do any of you know of a Buddhist divination method that uses sky images?

Okay, so by sky images/people I mean this:
You stare at your shadow in the morning while reciting mantra for one mala, then look into the sky and see the outline of your shadow in lights and then depending on that outline divine various things.

If you know of this being done, what's it called?

Just curious, Thanks!
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Divination- Sky shadow/light person

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

It's called an optical illusion.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

Yeah, afterimage illusion as they call it. But no, I haven't heard of that specifically. But it sounds not that different from mirror divination, in the sense that it's based on what you see, so I could see it being a possibility maybe.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I do remember a technique of divining how and when a person might die by looking at their shadow. I think this was in a book by Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Paul wrote:I do remember a technique of divining how and when a person might die by looking at their shadow. I think this was in a book by Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche.
It is part of the practices outlined in the Tibetan Book of the Dead Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition translated by Gyurme Dorje.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”