HH Sakya Trizin - Vajrakilaya in in Vancouver Aug 2011

Mr. G

HH Sakya Trizin - Vajrakilaya in in Vancouver Aug 2011

Post by Mr. G »

Sakya Tsechen Thubten Ling is pleased to announce that His Holiness Sakya Trizin, the 41st throne holder of the Sakya Tradition of Tibetan Buddhism, under the invitation of Jetsun Kushok Chimey Luding Rinpoche, will bestow the Vajrakilaya 2-day major empowerment and teachings in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, from 19 to 21 August 2011.

"Of the profound and inexhaustible ocean of teachings that Guru Padmasambhava possessed, Vajrakilaya is one of the most important. Its empowerment, teachings and pith instructions were given to one of his most important spiritual disciples, Khön Nagendra Rakshita (Lü'i Wangpo Sungwa), who then practised it until he achieved both ordinary and supreme siddhis. As a sign of his great attainment, he managed to display the great miracle of keeping his vajra and bell suspended in space. Guru Padmasambhava himself declared that Nagendrarakshita had attained the eighth stage of the great bodhisattva path.

The Vajrakilaya empowerment, teachings and pith instructions then passed down from Nagendrarakshita to his own nephews, as they were appointed as the holders of the Khön lineage; and ever since then they have been passed down through this lineage, which includes the five Sakya patriarchs.

So this is a very rare teaching that has not only continued through an unbroken lineage from the primordial Buddha, but has also been passed down through the hereditary lineage. Each of these masters, from Guru Padmasambhava to those of the present, has achieved great realization, and as a result has performed great miracles.
I myself received this from my own father, as well as from one of my most important root gurus, both of whom attained great realization through the Vajrakilaya practice, and showed many significant miracles."

-His Holiness Sakya Trizin

Please remember to mark your calendar for this very special and precious event, and please help us forward this message to your Dharma friends and students who may be interested. To receive further information regarding this event, please send an email to vancouver.vajrakila ya@gmail. com. Detailed information will be available shortly when the planning is completed .
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: HH the Dalai Lama Kalachakra Empowerment Washington DC 2011

Post by kirtu »

mr. gordo wrote: I'm also debating whether to go to the Khon Vajrakilaya teachings in Canada. :smile:
When/where are these? Is this supposed to be more than just the Vajrakilaya empowerment and teaching on the VK short sadhana (I mean are these supposed to be extended VK teachings)?

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

kirtu wrote:
mr. gordo wrote: I'm also debating whether to go to the Khon Vajrakilaya teachings in Canada. :smile:
When/where are these? Is this supposed to be more than just the Vajrakilaya empowerment and teaching on the VK short sadhana (I mean are these supposed to be extended VK teachings)?

Kirt

http://www.sakyatour.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not actually sure if it's the extended teachings. The description is here:

http://www.sakyatsechenthubtenling.org/kila/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

mr. gordo wrote: I'm not actually sure if it's the extended teachings. The description is here:

http://www.sakyatsechenthubtenling.org/kila/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is important.

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

kirtu wrote:
mr. gordo wrote: I'm not actually sure if it's the extended teachings. The description is here:

This is important.

Kirt
Do you mean it's the extended teachings? Or that this hasn't been given in quite some time in North America/Canada? :?:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

mr. gordo wrote:
kirtu wrote:

This is important.
Do you mean it's the extended teachings? Or that this hasn't been given in quite some time in North America/Canada? :?:
I'm not sure if they will be extended teachings. The actual teaching is set for only one day but HHST will likely take some time during the second day and teach partly during that day. I don't remember taking the two day VK empowerment from a Sakya master but I'm missing my first notebook and it could be in that. However I haven't seen the VK empowerment linked directly to the VK Drupchen before (but maybe it happened prior to 1999). That's why I said it was important. It just seems quite significant.

Usually HHST doesn't take a day to go through VK sadhana and teaching for example. Curiously I don't have notes from HHST's VK empowerment in Silver Spring in 2000 (so maybe I couldn't attend it for some reason). I do however have notes from Khenpo Kalsang during the 2005 VK retreat. I only know of Khenpo Namdrol taking more than a day teaching VK and that actual teaching might have only been a day.

The main problem I think will be that no one will think of serious questions to ask on the spot. I would like to do an extended retreat with HHST but the one or two times that he did that I couldn't do it (I'm very happy that several people could though).

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Mr. G

Re: HH Sakya Trizin - Vajrakilaya in in Vancouver Aug 2011

Post by Mr. G »

Oh, I see. Yes, it does seem quite auspicious.

I remember in 2006 H.E. Gyana Vajra Rinpoche gave a quick half day empowerment in Denia, Spain, I figured it was a blessing since it didn't take quite long.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

mr. gordo wrote:Oh, I see. Yes, it does seem quite auspicious.

I remember in 2006 H.E. Gyana Vajra Rinpoche gave a quick half day empowerment in Denia, Spain, I figured it was a blessing since it didn't take quite long.
He did a half day VK empowerment? Did that include some teaching too? I ask because the basic VK empowerment (I don't know what this is officially called) can be pretty zippy. HHST would take four hours or so for that.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

There was no teaching, it was from what I remember fairly quick - like 2 hours I think.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

mr. gordo wrote:There was no teaching, it was from what I remember fairly quick - like 2 hours I think.
That's the sort of basic VK empowerment (at least it's not elaborate).

Although any VK is good. I mean even the Khenpo Brothers gave a quick VK empowerment for the Tsasum Lingpa lineage prior to New Years ceremonies.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Yes, I wish there was more information on the practice in terms of books or online information. There seem to be a couple of Nyingma books on Kilaya. Hopefully we'll see something come out for Sakya. :smile:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

A blurb I was unaware of on the flyer for this event:

"Actually Vajrakilaya is not only special to the Khön lineage, but especially for His
Holiness Sakya Trizin, Vajrakilaya is his personal special yidam. It would be very
beneficial to practitioners and a great blessing for people to attend this [empowerment]."

- Jetsun Kushok Rinpoche
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
phantom59

Vajrakilaya Empowerment by Holiness Sakya Trizin Aug 19-21

Post by phantom59 »

Event : Vajrakilaya Empowerment by Holiness Sakya Trizin
Date : August 19 - 21
Poster : http://www.sakyatsechenthubtenling.org/ ... final4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Venue : Sty-Wet-Tan Auditorium, UBC First Nations Longhouse
Address : 1985 West Mall V6T 1Z2
Map1 : http://www.maps.ubc.ca/PROD/index_detai ... wMapCampus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Map2 : http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1985%20We ... 7766&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Organizer :Sakya Tsechen Thubten Ling
http://www.sakyatsechenthubtenling.org/kila/event.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Address : 5231 Maple Road Richmond, B.C. V7E 1G2 Canada
Registration : http://www.sakyatsechenthubtenling.org/ ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Programme :

19 August 2011
Preparatory Empowerment
Registration and Admission: 6:00 to 7:00PM
Empowerment: 7:00PM

20 August 2011
Main Empowerment
Pre-requisite: Having attended first day empowerment on 19 August 2011
Admission: 2:00PM to 2:30PM
Empowerment: 2:30PM

21 August 2011
Teachings on Vajrakilaya
Admission: 9:00 to 9:30AM
Lectures: 9:30 to 11:30AM, 2:30 to 5:30PM

Note: Participants must attend the first day preparatory empowerment in order to attend the second day main empowerment. Admission for the teachings will also be restricted to attendees who attended the full 2-day empowerment. Please be seated before empowerment time. Doors will be shut when program begins. Practice text will be available on 21 August 2011 before the teachings begin.

Sakya Tsechen Thubten Ling is pleased to announce that His Holiness Sakya Trizin, the 41st throne holder of the Sakya Tradition of Tibetan Buddhism, under the invitation of Jetsun Kushok Chimey Luding Rinpoche, will bestow the Vajrakilaya 2-day major empowerment and teachings in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, from 19 to 21 August 2011.

"Of the profound and inexhaustible ocean of teachings that Guru Padmasambhava possessed, Vajrakilaya is one of the most important. Its empowerment, teachings and pith instructions were given to one of his most important spiritual disciples, Khön Nagendra Rakshita (Lü'i Wangpo Sungwa), who then practised it until he achieved both ordinary and supreme siddhis. As a sign of his great attainment, he managed to display the great miracle of keeping his vajra and bell suspended in space. Guru Padmasambhava himself declared that Nagendrarakshita had attained the eighth stage of the great bodhisattva path.

The Vajrakilaya empowerment, teachings and pith instructions then passed down from Nagendrarakshita to his own nephews, as they were appointed as the holders of the Khön lineage; and ever since then they have been passed down through this lineage, which includes the five Sakya patriarchs.

So this is a very rare teaching that has not only continued through an unbroken lineage from the primordial Buddha, but has also been passed down through the hereditary lineage. Each of these masters, from Guru Padmasambhava to those of the present, has achieved great realization, and as a result has performed great miracles. I myself received this from my own father, as well as from one of my most important root gurus, both of whom attained great realization through the Vajrakilaya practice, and showed many significant miracles."

-His Holiness Sakya Trizin
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Message from Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche

Vajrakumara Teachings Offered by Kyabjé Sakya Trizin Rinpoche - A Message
From Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche April 21, 2011

"Those who follow the path to liberation face many outer, inner and secret
obstacles. For example, a great many obstacles confronted Guru Rinpoche
(Padmasambhava) just as he was about to actualize the profound realization
of Mahamudra, and he overcame them by accomplishing the mandala of
Vajrakumara.

In Tibet, the lineage and practice of Vajrakumara have been steadfastly
upheld throughout the ages, not only as a means of pacifying obstacles, but
also of accomplishing supreme siddhis. The transmission lineage has been
handed down in two forms, the oral transmission and the treasure
transmission, and while an abundance of lineages of Vajrakumara treasure
transmissions remain unbroken, there are far fewer unbroken oral lineages.
Along with the traditional Sakya practice of Hevajra, this Vajrakumara oral
transmission is one of the main practices of the Khon family, and it is
entirely thanks to them that this lineage still exists in Tibet to this day.

This summer, Kyabjé Sakya Trizin Rinpoche will be offering empowerments and
teachings in North America. Having received the precious Vajrakumara
teachings from Kyabjé Rinpoche many times, I strongly encourage everyone to
make the most of the opportunity to receive transmissions and teachings from
one of the greatest masters of our time."

-Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Kunga Leshe

Post by Kunga Leshe »

i've been doing some last-minute internal debating over whether or not to attend the "Vajrakilaya Torma Empowerment" (& Amitayus as well) in Minneapolis. Can anyone tell me how much does this differs from the major empowerment? I understand it's a simplified empowerment, but to what extent I am unsure.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Kunga Leshe wrote:i've been doing some last-minute internal debating over whether or not to attend the "Vajrakilaya Torma Empowerment" (& Amitayus as well) in Minneapolis. Can anyone tell me how much does this differs from the major empowerment? I understand it's a simplified empowerment, but to what extent I am unsure.
The Torma empowerment allows you to do the torma practice.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Updated information:

It's about a month before the event, we are getting the texts ready and getting the necessary preparation underway for the empowerment and teachings. A few notes here for the registered attendees as well as those who are planning to register:

-If you are planning to attend this program, we encourage you to pre-register early instead of registering onsite, especially for those who are coming from out of town. This will help us to plan and prepare for the right number of attendees coming to the event. We need to ensure that the items to be used during the empowerment, texts, etc are sufficient to cater to all that come to this program, such that we don't end up running short.

-The preferred method of pre-registration is online, via paypal or credit card. For mail-in application, you need to ensure that the registration is received before the start of the event. Mail-in registration that are not actually received by 18 August will not be considered registered.

-For onsite registration, the preferred payment method is cash or cheque. While we are trying to arrange for credit card acceptance onsite, we cannot confirm at this moment whether it will happen on time or not. Do check in with us in August if you are planning to pay onsite via credit card.

-There have been inquiries about registration for ordained sangha. While we do not charge ordained sangha who wish to attend the program, they MUST be pre-registered to attend.

-For people who are attending the program, please do bring a cushion that you can sit on during the event. We only have a limited amount of cushions available. As this is a major empowerment which will be conducted in traditional Tibetan fashion, His Holiness will be sitting on the throne to bestow the empowerment, and the attendees/students will sit on the floor to receive the empowerment and teachings.

-For people who are not able to sit on the floor, we will have limited number of chairs available towards the back of the hall for sitting.

-For the program schedule and location, please refer to http://www.sakyatsechenthubtenling.org/kila/event.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Only registered attendees are admitted. Please be early to collect your badges for admittance, the hall will be closed once the empowerment starts.

-During the weekend of the program, as UBC is still in summer holiday mode, only a number of restaurants and cafes will be opened during that period. A list of the UBC eateries with their location and hours is available at http://www.food.ubc.ca/locations-and-hours" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Please print this out for your reference. Together with the list, you may also wish to print out the location map to assist you in locating the eateries http://www.food.ubc.ca/locations-and-hours/location-map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

-For out of town students, the recommended accommodation is UBC, via the UBC Conference centre. Please contact them directly via their toll free number 1 888 822 1030 to inquire or via their website http://www.ubcconferences.com/accommodations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The most economical option is the private (locked) rooms within a shared apartment.

-There will be a sales desk with products from Zambala gifts being set up onsite. For products sold, 40% goes towards Sakya Foundation to support the Medical Fund, one of Jetsun Kushok's philantrophic initiatives. The remaining 60% of the revenue goes to Zambala for paying for the goods and taxes.

-We will be recording His Holiness' teachings which will be taught on day 3 of the event, and will take pre-orders and payment for the CDs at the event only. For students who have received the Vajrakilaya empowerment previously and wish to purchase a copy of the CD, please write to [email protected] if interested. Orders will only be accepted up to 15 August via internet payment.

The reason for having a cutoff date for the orders is to ensure we know the quantity of the CD that needs to be reproduced. The store that we order the reproduction of the CD only take bulk orders.

The CDs will be made available by Sakya Foundation Canada and priced at $20 each plus applicable postage ($3 for Canada, $5 for USA, $8 for all other countries). After deducting cost, the funds raised from the sale of the CD will again be used to support Jetsun Kushok's philantrophic and Dharmic initiatives. http://www.sakyafoundation.ca/how-you-c ... ng-efforts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Please note that Sakya Foundation can only accept cash or check for the purchases at the event.

Please feel free to write to us if you have any questions about the program.

With best wishes,
Jin Yeo
STTL Vajrakilaya organising committee
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu

Return to “North America (USA & Canada)”