YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

should a practicing buddhist own a gun? - Page 6 - Dhamma Wheel

should a practicing buddhist own a gun?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
marc108

Re: should a practicing buddhist own a gun?

Postby marc108 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:52 pm

"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."

Truth_Seeker1989

Postby Truth_Seeker1989 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:55 pm

Everything that makes you, you, is the result of your Environment (Society, Culture, Family, Friends, Etc), Genetics/Biology (Your brain which makes the mind possible, Inborn diseases such as Down Syndrome, or even Psociopathy, etc), Thoughts (Everything you think affects your mind, and the person you are), Speech (Same as thoughts, but words affect your environment as well), Actions (Same as Speech), and the Elements (Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, Space, and Time).

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:07 pm

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:08 pm

Truth_Seeker1989

Postby Truth_Seeker1989 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:10 pm

Everything that makes you, you, is the result of your Environment (Society, Culture, Family, Friends, Etc), Genetics/Biology (Your brain which makes the mind possible, Inborn diseases such as Down Syndrome, or even Psociopathy, etc), Thoughts (Everything you think affects your mind, and the person you are), Speech (Same as thoughts, but words affect your environment as well), Actions (Same as Speech), and the Elements (Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, Space, and Time).

jason c

Postby jason c » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:12 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:12 pm

Truth_Seeker1989

Postby Truth_Seeker1989 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:15 pm

That is a little dramatic, Jason. No, what the son will see is this.

"My father was a Buddhist, who was responsible and never used his gun because there was never a time where it was a necessity. He taught me that you never harm a living being, but in defense of yourself, your family, and society."

jason c

Postby jason c » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:17 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:19 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:19 pm

Just a moderator note: Be polite with each other, please.

jason c

Postby jason c » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:25 pm

Truth_Seeker1989

Postby Truth_Seeker1989 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:30 pm

Right. Be the change. But there is just no logic in saying that owning a gun will lead everyone else to become deviants. We will ALWAYS have weapons, to think otherwise is a fairy-tale dream. A nice one, but non-existent. The only change we can impact on our world is responsibility and wisdom when it comes to using them.

Or you could be the lack of change, the 'cause' of oppression and subjugation, because you simply did not have what it takes to pick up that gun, and defend society from a monster such as Hitler.

I say this, truly, with all of the respect that is possible. But if you were in a situation with one of my kids, and I was away, where you could have done something to defend them, and they got killed or injured, I would see you in prison, or branded a coward throughout society as a whole.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:32 pm

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:38 pm

He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Truth_Seeker1989

Postby Truth_Seeker1989 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:45 pm

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:46 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Truth_Seeker1989

Postby Truth_Seeker1989 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:51 pm

You do not need to blindly adhere to teachings, like Christians do the Bible, pick and choose, etc, when everything the Buddha taught was the conclusion of a logical, rational mind.

Logic. Everyone has guns, every nation has weaponry. I want one for myself to defend myself and my family, pure self defense. I will never use it except when all other options are exhausted, only when absolutely necessary.

Where is your logic? Because he said this, I must follow that? I believe the Buddha taught against that...

marc108

Postby marc108 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:52 pm

"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:59 pm

Return to “Sīla”