Trying the Buddha's patience...

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Trying the Buddha's patience...

Postby DharmaKitty » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:17 pm

Yes, I'm sure even the Buddha is getting irritated with me! :tongue:

Okay, maybe not, but I have been a Buddhist practitioner for the last 6 years -
and I have found it a life changing experience. I have learned and benefitted from it (as have those who share my life!)

Until recently I have sat and meditated and practiced (as one "should") I have been doing my Ngondro and basically being a "good buddhist" (whatever that is!)
and
now
lately
I
can't
get
my
butt
on
a
Cushion!

I can't explain it - I just never get there!
It's appalling!

and there is no excuse

Now tell me that I haven't tried even the Buddha's patience!
The essence of a real practice is to bring our intellectual understanding to the level of our heart - so as to feel it - to live it!
DharmaKitty

Re: Trying the Buddha's patience...

Postby conebeckham » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:36 pm

The Buddha's Patience is perfected......it's beyond "being tried."

It's not the Buddha's patience you should worry about, it's your patience, or lack of patience, with your own situation. :smile:

People who've committed to life practice have all been there, or will be, at some time. No big deal.

Here's the thing: it's not your mind that sits on the cushion. but it is your mind that keeps inventing reasons for you not to be sitting on the cushion. Investigate why that is, and I'd bet you'll find yourself sitting on the cushion soon.

:smile:
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby ground » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:44 pm

One should not get obsessed with cushion sitting. There are things that may be more important at times or during certain periods of time.

Kind regards
ground

Postby Tilopa » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:15 pm

TMingyur wrote:One should not get obsessed with cushion sitting. There are things that may be more important at times or during certain periods of time.
Kind regards

I agree. Sometimes going to the beach and watching TV can be dharma practice too and in the teachings on 'enthusiastic perserverance' bodhisttavas are encouraged to relax. Meditation isn't always just about sitting on a cushion.
Tilopa

Postby conebeckham » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:00 pm

yep....again, it's not the mind that sits on the cushion.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby Ogyen » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:04 pm

It's only my butt, honestly that sits on the cushion. My mind always has a cushion with it wherever it goes.

IF you drag the cushion with you wherever you go in your mind, and apply the same mindfulness in doing the dishes that you would visualizing great chenrezig, you will meet your ideals with the hot oils or reality.

I think your patience has to get tried, for it to perfect. Crisis and opportunity are the same conditions viewed through different attitudes.

What ConeBeckham said, I feel, is right on.

:heart:
Ogyen.
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive Word Press
Mud to Lotus

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Ogyen

Postby Huifeng » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:18 am

Seconded. What's all this about Buddhism = sitting meditation (on a cushion)?
It's about training the body, speech and mind; though the mind leads the other two.
And the process is a dependent one, with many conditions.
We may bring one aspect up to a high level, but if the others don't keep up, progress will be hindered. So don't worry too much, but make sure that you are dealing with whatever problems and issues you are facing in your life and practice in the present stage of your life.
No need to be to concerned about that physical butt on a physical cushion.
Huifeng

Postby eijo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:44 am

Huifeng wrote:Seconded. What's all this about Buddhism = sitting meditation (on a cushion)?
It's about training the body, speech and mind; though the mind leads the other two.
And the process is a dependent one, with many conditions.
We may bring one aspect up to a high level, but if the others don't keep up, progress will be hindered. So don't worry too much, but make sure that you are dealing with whatever problems and issues you are facing in your life and practice in the present stage of your life.
No need to be to concerned about that physical butt on a physical cushion.

Very good point, absolutely concur.
eijo

Postby DharmaKitty » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks all for your comments - and I know that you are right - it's only the butt that sits on the cushion.

I do believe however that when the butt does the time on the cushion, I am more mindful during the day and my patience and tolerance is more 'up there' -
I don't think the break has been completely detrimental - what with moving into a new house, changing jobs etc, perhaps it's just what I needed. :)

Tonight I am fortunate to be going to a teaching with Ken Holmes (Kagyu - from Samye Ling in Scotland) and I am looking forward to it. Teachings here are few and far between!

Again, thanks for the comments and support. I'll stop beating myself up - and get the butt back on the cushion now!
The essence of a real practice is to bring our intellectual understanding to the level of our heart - so as to feel it - to live it!
DharmaKitty

Postby Hanzze » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:03 pm

Sitting on a cushion maybe makes one lazy. Try to sit on the floor :-)
Just that! :-)
Hanzze

Postby spiritnoname » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:36 am

Dharmakitty, you used to meditate for whatever reason,.. now it's worn off,.. Now if you enjoy meditating you will meditate and if you don't enjoy meditating you know you've been doing something wrong,.. so you approach meditation anew and try to improve it.
spiritnoname

Return to Personal Experience