YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Adequate paritta chant? - Dhamma Wheel

Adequate paritta chant?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Modus.Ponens

Adequate paritta chant?

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:12 am

Hello

This summer I'm going to do an intensive meditation period (focusing on jhana), between 30 and 45 days. Not a retreat, though, as I'll not be taking the 8 precepts and I'll be with my friends socializing after the daily meditation practice.

I'm concerned though, as I have a history of psychotic breaks, that I'll have manifestations, namely, hallucinations (auditory or visual). This never happened to me before but I want to prevent that from happening. Thus, I would like to know if there is any paritta chant I can listen to (in english) to prevent bizarre experiences from happening.

There's a second concern of mine and that is that I don't want psychic powers to manifestate in this period, due to the similarity between them, and psychotic manifestations, in appearance, from the prespective of someone like me. What should I do? A resolution? Any other thing?

Thanks in advance.
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

hanzze_

Re: Adequate paritta chant?

Postby hanzze_ » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:28 am

Dear Modus.Ponens,

Take eight precepts.
Abstain from socializing with friends.
Don't be greedy.

"buddho"

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:44 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:37 pm

There is no organizer. I'm doing it at home.

I talked to my therapist/psychiatrist about this and he said it would be a good experience for me.
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'

Dhammanando

Postby Dhammanando » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:14 pm

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:13 pm

Thank you Bhante! I'll listen to them at the start of the "retreat". :smile:

suttametta

Postby suttametta » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:41 pm

Viscid

Postby Viscid » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:16 pm

"What holds attention determines action." - William James

yamaka

Postby yamaka » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:39 am

Sorry to hijack your topic, I have a doubt which we lay persons can chant the Parittas by our own, and inviting the Devatas to come, after the chants were done, how do we farewell those guests? :tongue:

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”