Venerable Khenpo Lodro Donyo Rinpoche

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Venerable Khenpo Lodro Donyo Rinpoche

Postby duckfiasco » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:19 am

Hi, everyone! I didn't know where to ask this.

I've been kind of a "kitchen sink" Buddhist for a few years now. I've explored the practices of Tibetan Buddhism, Zen, and Theravada, without really settling in completely in any one of them. I've gone to many local sanghas and felt most at home in the Zen Priory and the Kagyu center. I mostly practice alone.

I sit zazen and do a lot of practices taught by Henepola Gunaratana in his books, such as mindfulness of breath, walking meditation, the Four Foundations of Mindfulness, and metta. I also practice tong len.

Towards the end of the year, the Ven. Khenpo Lodro Donyo Rinpoche will be offering a beginner's teaching in November and a refuge and Chenrezig empowerment in December.
Is this the kind of thing you can do when you're kind of uncertain and wavering, or should you be really firm in knowing "Yes, Tibetan Buddhism is for me"?

I don't know much about this particular teacher, but the info was sent out by a local lama I've met and have a lot of respect for. They've impressed on me the rarity of this opportunity :P

I suppose I've just never done any kind of formal thing like this before. I don't want to be insincere or "do it wrong" somehow by having such a mix of practices like 100 shallow wells instead of one deep one. I also don't want to miss what could be a catalyst for practice just because of lack of confidence.

Thanks for your input!
Namu Amida Butsu
"When people of the Pure Land school chant Namu amida butsu, they are doing zazen with their mouths, and when we do zazen, we are performing Namu amida butsu with our whole body." - Kosho Uchiyama (Opening the Hand of Thought)
duckfiasco

Re: Venerable Khenpo Lodro Donyo Rinpoche

Postby futerko » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:39 am

Go for it. I think you are fairly safe with Avalokiteshvara being trans-traditional.
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
futerko

Postby conebeckham » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:28 am

My advice: Don't miss it. There is no possible harm I can see, and much benefit potentially. Of course, Khenpo la is my teacher, so...I am biased. :smile: But he is very kind and skillful teacher.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby duckfiasco » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:23 pm

I've avoided taking formal refuge for a while now.
I think I was avoiding giving up the control that never committing to a path affords.
You can always just go do something else!
But Buddhism has been tremendously beneficial so far, even if I haven't chosen a specific type of practice.
Even just saying "Buddhism" instead of "Buddhism and maybe Christianity in the distant future and maybe..." made me anxious.

I'm looking forward to it, though.
A friend of mine curious about Buddhism is going to join me for the beginner's talk that Rinpoche will be giving a few days before the refuge.
I never pass up a good beginner's talk :)

Thanks for the input, both of you :cheers:
Namu Amida Butsu
"When people of the Pure Land school chant Namu amida butsu, they are doing zazen with their mouths, and when we do zazen, we are performing Namu amida butsu with our whole body." - Kosho Uchiyama (Opening the Hand of Thought)
duckfiasco

Return to Exploring Buddhism