Should Buddhists give money to Hare Krishnas?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).

Should Buddhists give money to Hare Krishnas?

Yes, often
18%
Yes, but rarely
29%
No, never
53%

Total votes: 17

Malcolm

Re: Should Buddhists give money to Hare Krishnas?

Post by Malcolm »

Konchog1 wrote:If the money promotes HIndu practices, then it breaks your refuge vows.
This is merely your opinion.

Your opinion is not supportable by scripture, it is not supportable by reason.

Ashoka, according to you, broke his vows of refuge by impartially donating money to Buddhist Sangha as well as non-Buddhist ascetics. Even the Buddha broke his vows of refuge, according to you, because he encouraged the Vajjians, the subjects of King Pasenadi, to continue to make offerings to and support non-Buddhist ascetics when they visited for offerings.

When people worry about Buddhists following the world wide trend of fundamentalism, such anti-liberal attitudes as this one you display is as far as they need to look to have their fears confirmed.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

If someone's hungry, who cares what religion he or she practices? Feed 'em.

Do I think it's a good idea to give money to the organization known as the International Society of Krishna Consciousness? No, not really.
evolv

Post by evolv »

Every person is corrupt and every organization (made up of corrupt people) will too be corrupt.
Instead of judging with conceit, the right view is to have compassion for all that suffer starting with the self.
dude

Post by dude »

Is it possible to judge without conceit?
How can you practice compassion without trying to remove corruption from self and others?
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

JKhedrup wrote:Hare Krishnas have many different projects. If it is something like food for life, which feeds healthy vegetarian food to starving people, why not?
------------
Sawaddee Ka,

I agree with JKhedrup....

Giving is good...you don't have to give too much.
tidathep :namaste:
greentara

Post by greentara »

tidathep, "Giving is good...you don't have to give too much" Had to laugh, what a statement, what a priceless gem!
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
David N. Snyder wrote:I didn't vote, but I would say no as the question is worded. "Should" is kind of strong. If it was worded, "is it okay for Buddhist to give to Hare Krishnas" then I would say yes.

However, in general I am sure most of us don't have millions to budget for charitable contributions and since our budgets are limited, why not give to organizations in need from your own religion or your other favorite causes (non-religious)?
+1.

Maitri,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

at the end of the day there are no Hare Krishnas and no Buddhists. There are simply human beings with their various ideas.

Accordingly, I didn't vote.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

As a practical matter, ISKCON is decentralized now, and the situation is different in every region. Not infrequently, they are short of money. In some countries such as Kazakhstan, they are experiencing active religious repression.

As in other religious groups, corruption and abuse has been known to occur:

http://surrealist.org/gurukula/articles/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirtanananda_Swami

However, safeguards have since been put in place, and the group has experienced a great deal of routinization. As with similar scandals in the Catholic Church, it is difficult to decide whether the entire religion ought to share in the blame. It could be argued that the organizational structure and/or subculture was at fault.

If the question is whether it is right to give money to a non-Buddhist religion, I vaguely remember Sakyamuni Buddha commanding a wealthy Jain who wanted to join, to continue his sponsorship of the Jain group. Incidentally, the vinaya records a number of scandals among the early Buddhist community (which typically had to be resolved / ruled upon by Sakyamuni).
(no longer participating on this board)
philji

Post by philji »

How do you know when you give to anything or anyone including a. On aster your dharma centre that there is no corruption... If you researched deeply enough you would never give anything....there is probably far worse things happening in many buddhist monasteries than ever happened in ISKCON....
ziwzih

Post by ziwzih »

My experience with Hare Krishna is limited beyond the usual urban song and dance, but their musical disruptions inevitably cheer me up. I really appreciate that someone is willing to prance around the airports in the nightie. Plus, I've seen them giving out the food at street festivals and such, sometimes arriving guerrila style, in a van, and swiftly distributing it... It's probably a propaganda thing but it creates good will (unless you're lactose intolerant).
And I have talked to a few former junkies who have healed through it. Even though they might have just exchanged one high for another, if that keeps them from causing a chain of unhappiness around them, it seems like a good enough choice. My guess is that majority join them out of despair, seeking a refuge, and obviously they're getting it, despite all the harsh discipline and hierarchy, so it cannot be all down to brainwashing.
My opinion is that it's appropriate to donate if and when you can in some circumstances, as a sign of gratitude, as you would to anyone, but supporting a 'project' - I can't say as I am not informed enough.
Though I have another question: would it be appropriate to go to Hare Krishna Temple for their kirtans or whatever they're called? From both points of view, buddhist and vedanta? Would it be ecumenical or disrespectful?
greentara

Post by greentara »

Ziwzih, "I really appreciate that someone is willing to prance around the airports in the nightie" In a nightie? Actually they are devoted to Krishna ...this is really just devotional Hinduism in action. It reminds me of a forum where a middle class Hindu discussing the wearing of the Lungi...described it as inappropriate as wearing a negligee in the street. It just made me laugh!
ziwzih

Post by ziwzih »

It's a paraphrase of Woody Allen, I think from Hannah and her Sisters, when he's considering joining a faith. Not an insult, but a confession of his self-defeating cynicism and gloom.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

ziwzih wrote:
Though I have another question: would it be appropriate to go to Hare Krishna Temple for their kirtans or whatever they're called? From both points of view, buddhist and vedanta? Would it be ecumenical or disrespectful?
I think it depends on one's attitude. I've attended religious services among Sufis and Catholics (separate occasions) recently and I didn't get struck by lightning. In fact I learned a great deal from both encounters.

Return to “Lounge”