Hello to all :))

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.

Hello to all :))

Postby ziwzih » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:05 pm

:namaste:

I'm a thrice-returner to buddhism, as I like to think, and this final time I hope I have entered the boddhisattva yana, with as much humility as possible.

My introduction to buddhism, 20+ yrs ago, was mostly through mindfulness/theravadin inspired western movements or variants of traditions, with a bit of zen thrown in... I was not a particularly good sravaka, unfortunately, always feeling guilty about not meditating, or not meditating properly enough, and the promise of nirvana seemed a bit, well, monochromatic and lonely.
Second time around, during a particularly difficult period of my life, I was just trying to find a sangha... but did not (not that there was much choice here where I live). I wanted to start a practice, something simple, and just be a part of a support group, but for whatever reason it didn't happen. Eventually, I resigned to solitary reading, and reading can be very confusing without guidance.
This third time, after practically giving up, I have been blessed to receive empowerment by a Tibetan teacher, almost by chance, and suddenly everything makes sense!
It's my first empowerment and first encounter with a non-Western teacher, and it's exactly what I was wishing for for so long - something simple just to start the practice and inspire me, something to cut through my pride, need to intellectualize and tendency to talk idly ... I am very, very grateful that I had the opportunity to receive it. Also, in some inexplicable way, I took the empowerment as if I was always in that tradition, with surrender, trust and even adoration - which is certainly not something that my pride would normally allow me to do. I get the guru thing completely now!
And to mention, in some strange way, this particular empowerment brought me back to Christianity, even though I was never really there, always intimidated by Catholic pomp.
So, that's it, small steps from now on. Thanks for reading and forgive my elation and if I come across a bit devotional... for some, me certainly, faith and devotion can be powerful antidotes too.
ziwzih

Re: Hello to all :))

Postby Punya » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi ziwzih. I'm glad you've returned and welcome to dharmawheel. :smile: Personally I think faith and devotion are important.
Unless the inner forces of negative emotions are conquered
Strife with outer enemies will never end.
~Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Punya

Postby ziwzih » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:26 pm

Thank you :))
And having read what I wrote, I wish to make clear that I had no intention of belittling in any way Theravadin tradition, or western buddhist movement, it just wasn't a good approach for me, being lazy and slave to distractions, but I wonder if anything could have been a good approach then.
As it goes, life doesn't become easier with age and suffering reveals itself, and out of my own I started to notice others' suffering, often much greater. What I hope is that I can transform that still somewhat maudlin feeling into something potent and truly sincere. And in the same way one can choose the entry point by focusing on mind or emotions, though inevitably coming to the unified practice, I now see that various traditions function in the same way, as facets of the same - well, jewel.
ziwzih

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:52 am

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:yinyang:

ziwzih wrote: I now see that various traditions function in the same way, as facets of the same - well, jewel.

Different strokes for different folks. They are all good. Each tradition can be seen as a technique for different temperaments. All head toward nirvana. Some take a short path, some take the scenic route. :tongue:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby lobster » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:45 am

:twothumbsup:

Hi,
sounds wonderful.

Keep up the elation, such fun!
:woohoo:
lobster

Postby ziwzih » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:55 am

Thank you!!
ziwzih

Postby Karma Jinpa » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:54 am

Welcome back! Amazing how the right lama can help everything just click, isn't it? :applause:

Devotion is certainly important, particularly in Vajrayana. Guru yoga is essential, and the lama is said to be the root of all blessings (and indeed an embodiment of the Three Jewels). Keep it up, with the caveat that you ensure it's not merely blind faith. Too many people don't investigate their teachers and get burned. Beware of charlatans; they are most assuredly out there.

Your story is inspiring. I can relate to Judaism for similar reasons since being opened up spiritually by the Tibetan tradition. Everyone's Dharma is there for a reason, and serves a purpose. It's not for us to judge, but rather to recognize the good in all beings and strive to realize our own. We all have Buddha-nature, right?

See you in the Tibetan threads :smile:
"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, it happens that a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་རཱ་ག་ཨ་སྱ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

:namaste:
Karma Jinpa

Return to Introductions