YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Kisagotami, the Mother With the Dead Child - Dhamma Wheel

Kisagotami, the Mother With the Dead Child

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
hanzze_

Kisagotami, the Mother With the Dead Child

Postby hanzze_ » Sat May 26, 2012 3:59 pm

yawares

Re: Kisagotami, the Mother With the Dead Child

Postby yawares » Sat May 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Dear "hanzzee_",

I love this story, sad but happy ending.

yawares

hanzze_

Postby hanzze_ » Sun May 27, 2012 1:01 am

What is the sad part for you? End where did you feel that it starts to turn to a good?

yawares

Postby yawares » Sun May 27, 2012 10:37 am

hanzze_

Postby hanzze_ » Sun May 27, 2012 12:06 pm

yawares

Postby yawares » Sun May 27, 2012 1:31 pm

hanzze_

Postby hanzze_ » Sun May 27, 2012 3:37 pm

That is a nice thought but one thing is that you could frighten people recalling my name, I am neither Bhikkhu Sok (the owner of the story) or the writer of the story, just a retyper and reposter.
Its much better to gratefully mention Dhammawheel and its team to maintain the story and the possibility of sharing and maybe the author of it. Mostly grateful we should be in regard of Bhikkhu Sok and his teacher and when we even learn a lesson from it and walk the way of forgiveness by or self, we honor all of them without the need to speak about it.

zavk

Postby zavk » Tue May 29, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi friends

Early this year I discovered this interpretation of the story (see attached pdf) from the book Hosting the Stranger: Between Religions (http://books.google.com.au/books/about/ ... edir_esc=y)

It raises interesting questions about how we relate to the 'stranger' and addresses the question of hospitality in the broadest sense of the word as being open and receptive toward the unknown, unexpected, or surprising, to not shut oneself away from what is perceived to be strange, different, or foreign.

I find it to be an interesting interpretation and am now curious to explore further how Buddhism might help us understand and cultivate greater hospitality (I will try to start a thread when I have the time). To my knowledge, hospitality has become an important concept not only in interfaith dialogues but also in recent sociopolitical and philosophical debates, as some of the key challenges facing the world today revolve around the issue of on how we might relate to those who seem nothing like us, undeserving of our attention, or even threatening—because they come from some distant lands or lack the proper papers to reside in 'ours'; because they speak an unintelligible language or hold other sets of values; because they adhere to beliefs, dress codes and customs that disrupt our sense of propriety, and so forth. Some of these challenges are, for instance, the detention of asylum seekers and refugees, moral panic directed at migrants, exaggerated fears of terrorist threats 'from within', the upsurge of reactionary nationalism, etc.

Interestingly, the words hostility or hospitality share the same root hostis).

:anjali:
Attachments
Buddhism, the story of Kisagotami and the stranger.pdf
(94.44 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
With metta,
zavk

Return to “Dhammic Stories”