Maha Karuna Dharani correct text, pronunciation

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
rory

Maha Karuna Dharani correct text, pronunciation

Post by rory »

I'm now thoroughly confused as I'd been listening to Imee Ooi and learning the text
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-gWBj21 ... ZC&index=2

but now I see texts that are different and of course pronunciation as here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txfDIt-b ... izVc2CLUZC

which is correct or would someone kindly direct me to a good video for learning if possible.
with gassho
rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Re: Maha Karuna Dharani correct text, pronunciation

Post by Admin_PC »

This thread might help you out, it's got answers to just about every question you ask:
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... iew=unread

Just to answer real quick about the Imee Ooi version: it's actually the "Ekadashamukha Dharani" (The Dharani of 11-faced Avalokitesvara).
The version we do at the Vietnamese temple is very similar to the one at the end of that thread from devoid, with some slight stylistic differences.
rory

Post by rory »

I appreciate the helpful links greatly Pork Chop but there is still a confusion, which of the two texts is the correct Sanskrit for the Great Compassion Dharani as below is the Imee Oooi recitation

oṃ namo ratnatrayaya. namah arya avalokitesvaraya bodhisattvaya mahasattvaya mahakarunikaya sarva bandhana chedana karaya. sarva bhava samudram sosana karana. sarva vyadhi prasamana karaya. sarva mrtyu upa-drava viansana karana. sarva bhaye su trana karaya. tasmat namas – krtva idam arya avalokitesvara bhastinam nilakantha pi nama hrdayam avarta isyami sarvartha-sadhanam subham ajeyam sarva bhutanam bhava marga visuddhakam tadyatha, om aloke aloka-mati lokati krante. he hare arya avalokitesvara maha bodhisattva, he bodhisattva, he maha bodhisattva, he virya bodhisattva he mahakarunika smara hrdayam. hi hi, hare arya avalokitesvara mahesvara parama maitra-citta mahakarunika. kuru kuru karman sadhaya sadhaya vidyam. ni hi, ni hi varnam kamam-game. vitta-kama vigama. siddha yogesvara. dhuru dhuru viryanti, maha viryanti. dhara dhara dharendresvara. cala cala vimala amala murte arya avalokitesvara jina krsna jata-makutavalam ma pra-lamba maha siddha vidya dhara. vara vara maha vara. bala bala maha bala. cala cala maha cala krsna-varna nigha krsna – paksa nirghatana. he padma-hasta cara cara desa caresvara krsna – sarpa krta yajnopavita ehyehi maha varaha-mukha, tripura-dahanesvaranarayana va rupa vara marga ari. he nilakantha, he mahakara, hala hala visa nir-jita lokasya. raga visa vinasana. dvesa visa vinasana. moha visa vinasana huru huru mala, huru huru hare, maha padmanabha sara sara, siri siri, suru suru, bucruc bucruc, bodhiya bodhiya, bodhaya bodhaya maitri nilakantha ehyehi vama shitha simha-mukha hasa hasa, munca munca mahattahasam ehiyehi pa maha siddha yogesvara bhana bhana vaco sadhaya sadhaya vidyam. smara smaratam bhagavantam lokita vilokitam lokesvaram tathagatam dadahi me drasana kamasya darsanam pra-hia daya mana svaha. siddhaya svaha. maha siddhaya svaha. siddha yogesvaraya svaha. nilakanthaya svaha. varaha-mukhaya svaha. maha-dara simha-mukhaya svaha. siddha vidyadharaya svaha. padma-hastaya svaha. krsna-sarpa krta yajno pavitaya svaha. maha lakuta daharaya svaha. cakra yuddhaya svaha. sankha-sabdani bodhanaya svaha. vama skandha desa sittha krsna jinaya svaha. vyaghra-carma nivasa naya svaha. lokesvaraya svaha. sarva siddhesvaraya svaha. namo bhagavate arya avalokitesvaraya bodhisattvaya mahasattvaya mahakarunikaya. sidhyanthu me mantra-padaya svaha.

Others have this version:
Namo Ratna Trayaya, Namo Arya, Valokite Svaraya, Bodhisattvaya,
Mahasattvaya, Mahakarunikaya, Om, Sarva Raviye, Sudhanadasya, Namas Krtva Imam Arya,
Valokite Svara Ramdhava, Namo Narakindi, Hrih Mahavat Svame, Sarva Arthato Subham, Ajeyam,
Sarva Sat Namo Vasat Namo Vaka, Mavitato, Tadyatha, Om Avaloki, Lokate, Krate,
E Hrih, Mahabodhisattva, Sarva Sarva, Mala Mala, Mahima Hrdayam, Kuru Kuru Karmam,
Dhuru Dhuru Vijayate, Maha Vijayate, Dhara Dhara, Dhrni, Svaraya, Cala Cala,
Mama Vimala, Muktele, Ehi Ehi, Sina Sina, Arsam Prasali, Visa Visam, Prasaya,
Hulu Hulu Mara, Hulu Hulu Hrih, Sara Sara, Siri Siri, Suru Suru, Bodhiya Bodhiya,
Bodhaya Bodhaya, Maitreya, Narakindi, Dhrsnina, Vayamana, Svaha, Siddhaya, Svaha,
Mahasiddhaya, Svaha, Siddhayoge, Svaraya, Svaha, Narakindi, Svaha, Maranara, Svaha,
Sira Simha Mukhaya, Svaha, Sarva Maha Asiddhaya, Svaha, Cakra Asiddhaya, Svaha,
Padma Kasiddhaya, Svaha, Narakindi Vagalaya, Svaha, Mavari Sankharaya, Svaha,
Namo Ratna Trayaya, Namo Arya, Valokite, Svaraya, Svaha,
Om Sidhyantu, Mantra, Padaya, Svaha.

Now I'm confused. ( I know the Ekadasa Mukhi Dharani and that's not the recording I posted)
gassho
rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Sorry, I should've watched your video to see what you actually posted, I just saw Imee Ooi and assumed it was the 11 faced version.

Wiki refers to the first one in your last post as "Sanskrit Version" and sources it to:
Nīlakantha Dhāranī from STP (5.1290-6.1304) by Chih-t'ung (worked 627-649), Ming edition of the Chinese Tripitaka. (Lokesh Chandra, Sanskrit Texts from the Imperial Palace at Peking [STP] Parts 1-22, New Delhi 1968-1977, International Academy of Indian Culture)
They discuss the differences of this version here in this document from Lokesh Chandra:
http://web.archive.org/web/200703160034 ... _01_01.pdf
Basically boils down to a difference between Chih-t'ung and Amoghavajra.

I misspoke before, the one I recognize is the 2nd one in your last post; ie the Amoghavajra one.
rory

Post by rory »

Super, that's very helpful. I appreciate it very much Pork Chop!
:namaste:
rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:

Return to “Language”