My parents against my beliefs

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Huifeng

Re: My parents against my beliefs

Post by Huifeng »

If you want to be a monastic in the Chinese traditions, the first thing they'll tell you is to listen to your mom!
You'll probably also be asked for written permission from your parents in order to allow you to ordain.

Stay in school, get an education. :smile:

~~ Huifeng
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Are u a buddhist monk in taiwan?ummmm which did u vote for taiwan or china on that forum?
flowerbudh

Post by flowerbudh »

wateryang wrote:Well everytime i go to school for me its.just entertainment or relaxing time becouse its useless i know cuz the way ima live my life in the future doesnt requires the stup idd shi t im showed in school for me going to school until 18 is for people who are going get a job get married which is a diffrent belief system not mine and i have a problem with my parents cuz they trying make go to someplace called school which is useless to become a buddhist monk

While the way in which information is taught in school is rather off-point, the information itself is not. Take English class for example. Learning to be an "active" reader (one who is able to analyze text/make connections/draw conclusions, etc.) is fundamental in all that we do. If you become a monk, you will have to read scriptures day in and day out and interpret them clearly. You must be able to make inferences, because the meaning behind religious texts is not always blatant initially. In English class, we also learn how to write eloquently and convey information in a most convincing manner. Don't you think that as a monk you will have to be able to perfectly articulate the Buddha's teachings? If you can't, their meanings are altered and therefore misunderstood. Maybe you don't know this, but being an ordained monk is incredibly hard work. It is most definitely a job. You are responsible for many things, and I'd say for even more than the average person.

Your parents are right for wanting you to go to school. It seems as though you might be "slacking off" right now because you said you're only there for relaxing and being entertained. This is not wise, my friend. Your grades will go down which will only make things harder for you. Every situation in life is a learning opportunity. Use your discontentment with what you're being taught in school as fuel for change... what if you started a meditation club or asked your history teacher if you could spend time studying Buddhism?

Also, I don't understand why you think that everything learned in school is "stupid shit", honestly. Is learning to make friends and connect to your peers not of use to you?
Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without. - The Buddha
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

which did u vote for taiwan or china on that forum?
Since the voting is now 3-0 for Taiwan, it is possible to guess at his choice.
(no longer participating on this board)
rory

Post by rory »

Wateryang; no one needs an ignorant buddhist monk who cannot spell. Buddhist monks study the sutras and need to know a variety of languages. If your school is not challenging, try to transfer or do work on your own. There are many online courses available. If you don't listen to your parents you will never make it a monastery where discipline is very strict and Confucian values (obeying your elders) is expected!
gassho
rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Flamebudd no well yea but i see school as a distraction becouse i could be like learning about buddhism or science or a new language + all the classes i take cant pass them i have f s all my classes becouse i dont want to memorize all this useless sh!t
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

wateryang wrote:Flamebudd no well yea but i see school as a distraction becouse i could be like learning about buddhism or science or a new language + all the classes i take cant pass them i have f s all my classes becouse i dont want to memorize all this useless sh!t
With that attitude you would not even make it past the introductions to the people in charge.
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

Then teach yourself. Even if your school doesn't challenge you, you can still find ways to study languages, science, Buddhism, etc. The internet is full of resources, and there are people who will help you. But you have to take the initiative. Decide what you want to learn.
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

I foccis on the present i believe riencarnation is a problem so offcourse im going become a buddhist monk the only way to break this law of the universe called samsara is to achieve/reach nirvana!
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

So what do i do when an angry teacher calls my mom or dad telling them i do bad at school cuz im allways going do bad at school my parents principily my dad takes my phone which is the real school for me and he knows that what can i do if he trys to take my phone/real school away another prob he has anger issues-_-
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

A worthy goal indeed. But you don't need to wait for ordination to start. (Buddha practiced even in hell!) For example, behave with compassion and patience towards those around you. Try not to hurt people. Think twice before speaking. See the good in others. Try to remain calm, even when your emotions run wild.

If your father takes away your phone, try to see things from his perspective. Perhaps he thinks it distracts you at school. If he has anger problems, then this is very unfortunate, but try not to make the situation worse. If you can calm yourself, this may help him too. Is there another adult you can turn to, if things get too bad?
Last edited by Alfredo on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Indraja i know fully inglish/spanish what do u mean by the last post u send plz explain bro
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

My mom agrees to everything my dad tells/about well plz tell me what to do cuz if he takes controll of my real guide/my phone he hides it and maybe one day hell smash it like he did to my gaming ystems like my psp 3ds ps3 when i was addicted to those sh!ts he knows im not addicted to my phone he knows i learn things from it cuz i sometimes tell him things i learn from my phone
Last edited by wateryang on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
rory

Post by rory »

He's addressed as Venerable Indrajala, not 'bro' and that's exactly your problem.

I suggest you talk with a counselor at your schoool, meditate and stop the adolescent emoting, it's very unBuddhist.
gassho
rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

My counseler knows im going become a buddhist monk/im a buddhist oh and sorry i didnt called him bro to offend just dont know how to call him from respect 8( ps.ive never meditated my sourondings are noisy my parents to i know i sound non buddhist-_- but if i was to describe my self throu words would be buddhist/scientist
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

If u want to pm me do it on my main account tigerh98 thx
rory

Post by rory »

Start here: http://www.audiodharma.org/series/1/talk/1762/
you can meditate in a park, outside your house, in your closet. Start now.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Buddhism is not a way to get away from your problems.
Buddhism is not about escaping boring or upsetting people.
Buddhism is not about wishful thinking.
Buddhism is not about freedom from the life you have now, or even from pain.

Instead, you learn how to engage this boring life, these angry parents.
You have to be brave enough to see where your ideas might be wrong.
You have to be loving enough to see how you hurt people, and how to stop.
This is where your suffering is, and it's where everyone starts.
It's entirely in your own hands.
If you listen and are honest with yourself, Buddhism and the people here can help.

The Buddha said, "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
When will you start?
Right now, it sounds like Buddhism is a daydream.
You know you're suffering. Why wait any longer?
Don't wait for others to change or your life to become ideal before you can be happy.
Get to work right now.

I recommend "Mindfulness in Plain English" by Henepola Gunaratana. That was my first step.

And stay in school. You'll spare yourself a lot of suffering you can't imagine.
Take it from people who have been there before.
Last edited by 明安 Myoan on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Namu Amida Butsu
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

I could spell but make mistakes sometimes cuz i use the internet on my phone and yes i dont listen to school teachers and parents beliefs becouse there trying to put there beliefs on me and yes i will be a gr8 buddhist monk cuz ill put my whole life to it not like school or my parents u feel me?
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

wateryang wrote:Are u a buddhist monk in taiwan?ummmm which did u vote for taiwan or china on that forum?
Yes, I am a Buddhist monk in Taiwan. I teach at the Department of Buddhist Studies at Fo Guang University. Taiwan.
http://buddhist.fgu.edu.tw/people/bio.php?PID=40

~~ Huifeng
Last edited by Huifeng on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”