China Or Taiwan

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.

What country is best or possible easy to become a buddhist monk?

Taiwan
100%
China
No votes

Total votes: 4

tigerh98

China Or Taiwan

Post by tigerh98 »

What country is best or possible easy to become a buddhist monk?
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: China Or Taiwan

Post by Huseng »

You cannot realistically become a monk in China.

Becoming a monk in Taiwan is relatively easy. The government would stamp the visa paperwork through no problems.
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

China or Taiwan: What country is best or possible easy to become a buddhist monk?

Assuming, of course, that you are not referring to people who are either PRoC citizens or RoC (Taiwan) citizens, then the answer is very obvious: Taiwan.

As I recently posted on another similar thread, it is -- I believe -- technically illegal for non-citizens to ordain and receive training as a Buddhist monk or nun in the PRoC. Sure, one could probably find some dodgy jia heshang and send them a red envelope -- they may do the deed, but one is highly unlikely to end up with a proper jiedie at the end of it. But, from what I know, if the SARA gets whiff of it, some deep doodee is going to go down...

This is not to say that the situation in Taiwan is "easy". One could maybe try same red envelope technique -- but again, not jiedie worthy of the term is going to result. So long as one has the proper recommendation from their shifu -- who wouldn't necessarily have to be in / from Taiwan, then could attend a triple platform ordination (not that these happen every week...) But, better still, train at a good monastery with a Buddhist college, and then go to such an ordination from there.

Now, not that I like sounding like a blow hard, but noting that the OP is maybe not a long time member, I'll maybe mention some of my quals for the above claims / statements: I've been in Chinese Buddhist monasteries, both based in Taiwan, the PRoC, Hong Kong and elsewhere abroad, since 2000. I'm ordained with a Taiwanese monastic order, though my actual full ordination was in Australia (run by same order). I know more Taiwanese, Chinese, etc. monastics than I can think of, and talk about them extensively with them. So, I've seen enough from a number of angles, to make the above claims / statements.

~~ Huifeng
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Idk what is the red envelope technique is?so sorry i oppologize but what are u trying to say?which did u voted for Taiwan Or PROC/China
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

wateryang wrote:Idk what is the red envelope technique is?so sorry i oppologize but what are u trying to say?which did u voted for Taiwan Or PROC/China
I think Venerable Huifeng is referring to bribes.

In Chinese culture a red envelope is normally used for transmitting cash to someone.

You can bribe your way into the clergy. :namaste:
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

What is a buddhist college and does one need to finnish one in order to become a buddhist monk?or does one need to finnish a buddhist college to become a buddhist monk in the country there going become one in?
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

A Buddhist college is like a seminary program where you go through a scheduled training program which includes everything from doctrine to rituals to how to fold your bedsheets. It generally takes a few years, after which you can get full ordination.

In contemporary Chinese Buddhism this is normally expected, though I know some cases where monks trained directly under their teacher for several years (living with them too) and that was considered sufficient.
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Do i have to go to college school in the country im going become a buddhist monk or not?when u finnish buddhist college do u get a id of finnishing it or a diploma or something that shows u have finnished the buddhist college?
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

wateryang wrote:Do i have to go to college school in the country im going become a buddhist monk or not?when u finnish buddhist college do u get a id of finnishing it or a diploma or something that shows u have finnished the buddhist college?
There's really no official requirements that are universal.

In the Chinese Buddhist world you need certification and/or connections to proceed as a monk. If you complete a seminary and go through the full ordination, they generally issue official paperwork.

However, long before that you'd need a Shifu (master) to arrange the introductions and so forth, unless you were taken in by a larger organization like Dharma Drum, Foguangshan, etc., in which case they would evaluate you and maybe admit you into an internal seminary program.

If you're seriously interested in Chinese Buddhism, visit the temples in your area if there are any.
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Thx so what u saying i dont need to go to a buddhist college to become a buddhist a buddhist college is just a collage/place to see how living as a monk is or and teaches u about buddhism? Explain what a buddhist collage is for
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

If u want to pm me do it on my main account tigerh98 thx
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

As a non-Chinese, I doubt that any place would take you if you didn't go through a Buddhist college.

A Buddhist college, 佛學院 is the place which trains you to be a monastic. That's your "basic training", and in effect, without this such training (either completed or still in the process), almost no monastery or preceptor would want to ordain you.

As Indrajala said, it could be possible to directly train with a good teacher, ie. not in a College, but such situations are going to be incredibly rare and difficult for a non-Chinese.

Whatever the case, you need a "shifu", ie. your teacher. And they need to be a monastic ordained and well qualified in the Chinese tradition.

~~ Huifeng
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

In a buddhist collage is it a place u stay like everyday like a hologram of how being a buddhist monk gonna be like or is it like a school?
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Indrajala wrote:In Chinese culture a red envelope is normally used for transmitting cash to someone.
Gong xi fa cai, ching gei wo hong bao.
Though, I'm a little more familiar with:
Gong Hey Fat Choy, Ching Gat Ngo Lai See.
:lol:
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

tigerh98 wrote:In a buddhist collage is it a place u stay like everyday like a hologram of how being a buddhist monk gonna be like or is it like a school?
It's like a Buddhist seminary bootcamp.

~~ Huifeng
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Ok thx 8)
tigerh98

Post by tigerh98 »

Ok will be creating a forum called Nepal Or Taiwan

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”