So I have this big chod drum...

DGA
Former staff member

So I have this big chod drum...

Post by DGA »

Some years back, I came into possession of a large chod drum. It's a beauty too: with the long brocade tail, shells stitched into the band, good craftsmanship, good sound, &c. The former owner no longer had a need for it, as she decided to begin practicing with a group called Celtic Buddhism which evidently doesn't practice chod... that's how it passed to me.

Anyway, this drum is too much for me to handle. I've been storing it for the past six or seven years now. It's in very good condition, even if there's a bit of dust on the fabric cover (which has a convenient strap with which to carry it or sling it over one's shoulder). I no longer wish to store it. I have no idea what to do with it, but I'd particularly like it if it became part of someone's regular practice. Any recommendation, suggestion, or advice will be warmly welcomed. Thank you.
Karma Dorje

Re: So I have this big chod drum...

Post by Karma Dorje »

My suggestion would be to put it on eBay, use the proceeds to sponsor some dharma activity or feed people, you may even find people here that would be interested in it.

Conversely, offer it to your dharma center to be auctioned for fundraising.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Jikan, all of the suggestions above are good, as Chödams are quite expensive, especially the higher quality ones. Just take a look at how much the ones on http://damaruworks.com/ and http://www.garudashop.com/ are fetching. This could allow for quite a bit of Dharma activity to be sponsored.

Based on how you acquired the drum, it sounds like perhaps it was given to you. The other option would be to give it away in a similar fashion, perhaps to someone of little means who cannot afford such a ritual instrument but has a sincere desire to practice Chöd. As one of these poor practitioners, I can assure you that there are people out there who would very much appreciate the kindness and generosity if you choose to go that route.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

The one I'm speaking of looks identical to this one (it's the same case too):

http://www.tibetanspirit.com/all-items/ ... pang-wood/

I'd prefer not to sell the thing as I don't like to sell dharma items. I'm happy to give it away to someone who will put it to proper use, or to trade.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

I'd donate to a center that engages in group Chod
practice regularly. Some people always need drums because
they're new to the practice or they couldn't afford one or because
they couldn't get their drum before the practice session
or whatever. So it's always good to have spares around
to let people use. If you don't know any centers like this I could
give you a list.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

Since you'd rather give it away than make money, I'd just put it up for really, really cheap on ebay. You'll make someone's day.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I've chosen to give this drum to a dedicated practitioner in need. I'm confident it will support this person's practice in a way that will bring benefit to all. So... Thanks, DharmaWheel!

Return to “Chod”