Passing of Karma Chagme Rinpoche

Glyn

Re: Passing of Karma Chagme Rinpoche

Post by Glyn »

Karma Jinpa wrote: international students in the loop.
Were you a student of Rinpoche?

The Neydo website has always been pretty poor in some ways. Many monasteries have poor websites for all sorts of reasons.
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

A picture of the encased kudung on the throne, courtesy of a getsul at Neydo Tashi Chöling:

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Nice. Is the monk who sent you the picture one of your Vajra bros?
"It's not ok to practice Dharma sometimes, just when you feel like it. You have to practice all the time" - Lama Rigzin Rinpoche.
Palzang Jangchub

He simply befriended me on Facebook a day or so ago. Perhaps he saw the public posts I was putting out there regarding Chagme Rinpoche. Not sure.

Whatever the case may be, I'm happy to have a friend at Neydo monastery, despite (or perhaps due to) the timing.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

Glyn

Post by Glyn »

So how did you become a student of Rinpoche, and what did you receive from him?
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Glyn wrote:So how did you become a student of Rinpoche, and what did you receive from him?
Rinpoche, will you be returning from India soon?
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Kunga wrote: Rinpoche, will you be returning from India soon?
Yes, although I will only stay briefly as I have to go to Bhutan for family reasons.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Glyn wrote:
Yes, although I will only stay briefly as I have to go to Bhutan for family reasons.
Hopefully we will get to you see at some point. I'll never forget that teaching you translated for our group. When that guy started crying and Rinpoche said 'what's wrong with you? Do you even know me?' and the air went still. Awesome!
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Kunga wrote: Hopefully we will get to you see at some point. I'll never forget that teaching you translated for our group. When that guy started crying and Rinpoche said 'what's wrong with you? Do you even know me?' and the air went still. Awesome!
It was very awkward. English not being my first language made it difficult to try to express what was said in Tibetan properly. Just because I am white people expect me to be able to do this stuff. But it was sad seeing this whole incident, and I remember seeing similar things in other places too. I think this is why some high Lamas do not really see westerners so often or at all.
heart

Post by heart »

Glyn wrote:
Perhaps an introduction would be a good idea Glyn. Why are you responding to the title "rinpoche"?

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

heart wrote: Perhaps an introduction would be a good idea Glyn. Why are you responding to the title "rinpoche"?

/magnus
Some people call me Glyn, some people call me Rinpoche, some people call me other things. I personally prefer being called Glyn for personal reasons. Sorry if this upsets you.
heart

Post by heart »

Glyn wrote:
heart wrote: Perhaps an introduction would be a good idea Glyn. Why are you responding to the title "rinpoche"?

/magnus
Some people call me Glyn, some people call me Rinpoche, some people call me other things. I personally prefer being called Glyn for personal reasons. Sorry if this upsets you.
:smile: it don't upset me at all, I am just curious. I hope you don't mind. Why do they call you Rinpoche then?

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

heart wrote:Why do they call you Rinpoche then?
Tibetan or Himalayan cultural norms. I am deeply uncomfortable with it to be honest. I am just a normal person trying to be a kinder person, titles create identities and problems.
Palzang Jangchub

Glyn wrote:So how did you become a student of Rinpoche, and what did you receive from him?
I wasn't officially a student of Karma Chagme Rinpoche in this life, nor was I able to receive teachings from him in person. Despite this, it is my sincere belief that Karma Chagme has been a guru to me in past lives, as he has loomed large in the 3 lineages I've come into contact with, and I always find myself gravitating towards texts he authored (whether namthar, drubthab, tri, or even sutric puja). I have, however, received a lung for one of his sadhanas, as well as a bit of the Namchö cycle from other lamas, which would not have been possible if the 1st Karma Chagme hadn't been Mingyur Dorjé's guru, scribe, and student, and subsequently taught those terma to others.

A friend of mine who sometimes translates for Neydo's khenpo in Nepal was going to introduce us next year, when I plan to return and take further Tibetan language classes in Namo Buddha under David Karma Choepel. It was my intention to sincerely and devotedly ask for whatever wang/lung/tri/teachings/advice he thought were appropriate for me based on my accumulated karma and obscurations, as well as if he was interested in there being a Neydo presence in the U.S. through study groups and Dharma centers.

Obviously my plans did not include his passing into parinirvana. However, this has been a cause for me and many others to internalize the Four Thoughts and give rise to uncontrived devotion, so there have been several reasons to rejoice amidst the sadness.

Hopefully this clarifies a few things...
Last edited by Palzang Jangchub on Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heart

Post by heart »

Glyn wrote:
heart wrote:Why do they call you Rinpoche then?
Tibetan or Himalayan cultural norms. I am deeply uncomfortable with it to be honest. I am just a normal person trying to be a kinder person, titles create identities and problems.
They do, are you from Buthan?

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Glyn

Post by Glyn »

Karma Jinpa wrote: Hopefully this clarifies a few things...
That seems more confusing, but it doesn't matter. Have you tried being less emotional though?
Glyn

Post by Glyn »

heart wrote: They do, are you from Buthan?

/magnus
No, but I spent a lot of time there doing training, and my legal wife is from there.

Where are you from?
heart

Post by heart »

Glyn wrote:
heart wrote: They do, are you from Buthan?

/magnus
No, but I spent a lot of time there doing training, and my legal wife is from there.

Where are you from?
I am from Sweden. Long time student of Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche, you?

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Glyn

Post by Glyn »

I met him, but am not his student.
heart

Post by heart »

Glyn wrote:I met him, but am not his student.
:smile: Who is your Guru?

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Kagyu”