Aspirations for Householder Practicers?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Karma Tashi G.

Aspirations for Householder Practicers?

Post by Karma Tashi G. »

Everyone takes vows at some times. A very risky thing to do since the possibility of breaking them is always present. I have broken every single vow I ever took. That's why I am more or less a broken toy of a dharma practicer!! But since I have shamelessness, I want to suggest the following Aspirations (not vows) for householders who want to gain in their practice!

1) Aspire to practice 1 hour for every hour watching tv or movies or going to plays or entertainment. ONe hour! Better would be 2 hours. :smile:
2) Aspire to practice 1 hour for every 15 minutes arguing with someone, or thinking about arguing or winning some fight with someone!
3) Aspire to spend 1 year losing every argument you have with people. Let them win! This is good for intelligent and competitive people!
4) Aspire to practice on and off meditation seat every single day. No vacation mind!
5) Aspire to bless everyone who does you harm. No exceptions!!

Any other aspirations out there?
lobster

Re: Aspirations for Householder Practicers?

Post by lobster »

Karma Tashi G. wrote:Any other aspirations out there?
No doubt. :smile:
futerko

Post by futerko »

Karma Tashi G. wrote:3) Aspire to spend 1 year losing every argument you have with people. Let them win! This is good for intelligent and competitive people!
*footnote, don't ever tell anyone you are doing this, especially not your wife/husband/partner.
plwk

Post by plwk »

3) Aspire to spend 1 year losing every argument you have with people. Let them win! This is good for intelligent and competitive people!
*footnote, don't ever tell anyone you are doing this, especially not your wife/husband/partner.
And especially the cat(s)...
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

Secret fasting practice: eat only 3 meals a day, with normal servings, and avoiding unhealthy foods.
(no longer participating on this board)
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Aspire to keep the vows! :smile:
Karma Tashi G. wrote:Everyone takes vows at some times. A very risky thing to do since the possibility of breaking them is always present.
I don't think that is the case. If there was no possibility of breaking them, then you would not even need to take them to begin with. Breaking vows does not mean one is a failure, it just means we still need them. If there were no more possibility of breaking them, then you could rightly take them and throw them in the garbage. Like Bodhidharma said "A Buddha does not keep vows, but he does not break them either". Vows are completely useless for one with no possibility of breaking them. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

if you are interested in holding easy vow's then you can do the Mahayana 8 precepts 24 hour practice on new and full moons. Lama Zopa Rinpoche greatly praises the benefit derived from this practice and even in general vow's. you create positive karmic seeds all the time, even when your sleeping when you have vow's, so even if you break them you shouldnt give up, just confess and restore.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

Good ideas. Personally I might word number 3 more as "fully taking in others opinions" or "not always needing to be right", but I totally see where you're coming from. Another aspiration I like is to make is to do things that scare you as much as possible. That doesn't have to mean bungee jumping or diving with sharks. It could mean putting aside one's ego and doing something despite the fear of embarrassments, letting go of an attachment you're afraid of losing, or looking at your emotions truthfully, despite how much they might terrify you.
Karma Tashi G.

Post by Karma Tashi G. »

Here is one:

Aspire to meditate/practice EVERYTIME you feel even smallest "I should meditate" feeling even if only 45 seconds!....Never ever ignore that feeling!! Or if you do want to watch tv or something, like me, Aspire to make ignoring it practice!!

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”